• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Destroyed books?!?!? CGC-exclusive Death of Superman 30th Anniversary Gold Foil Variant
4 4

113 posts in this topic

They’ve taken the next step....

No raw copies available 

Strictly slabbed CGC Exclusives

I guess the ultimate client would be to deal with Marvel directly.  Release the ‘regular’ edition to read, but only release all the variant covers encapsulated.  Skip the pedestrian submission process, and just manufacture ‘CGC Editions’.

Brilliant 

:flipbait:

So CGC is actively involved in working (for hire) for a submitter to intentionally reduce the number of copies of raw books in existence to increase the value of the remaining CGC-graded books - and they're doing this all under the guise of being "third-party graders"? 

voldemor-harrypotter.gif

Edited by jcjames

This is normal for all limited variants.  They print more than they want so only the best condition books are sold. The rest get destroyed.  This isn't just a CGC thing.  It's about creating a collectible, not sharing a story.  

But...this is the Death of Superman from 30 yrs ago.  Why would anyone care if some, or all of them get destroyed?

Here, I'll save you some money... (he doesn't really die).

You're welcome.

On 9/1/2022 at 4:49 AM, Sigur Ros said:

This is normal for all limited variants.  They print more than they want so only the best condition books are sold. The rest get destroyed.  This isn't just a CGC thing.  It's about creating a collectible, not sharing a story.  

But...this is the Death of Superman from 30 yrs ago.  Why would anyone care if some, or all of them get destroyed?

Here, I'll save you some money... (he doesn't really die).

You're welcome.

So CGC has been destroying books before or are you saying they are jumping on the bandwagon after others have done so?

On 9/1/2022 at 8:00 AM, shadroch said:

So CGC has been destroying books before or are you saying they are jumping on the bandwagon after others have done so?

It's not a bandwagon.  This is how it's done, period, including BTC.  And this is how BTC is doing it this time.  Having the grader do it so there is this apparent "separation" between raws and retailer.

The destroying of limited books has always occurred.  You can't order 300 copies, you have minimums to meet.  In this case, 1000.  

Sometime covers get removed or half-removed and they're donated.  But in this case, kids don't want to read about the death of Superman.

On 9/1/2022 at 8:28 AM, Troy.Division said:

So...beyond the destruction of the 'extra' 700 books...
If I am reading this correctly does that also mean that any possible 9.9 or 10 of this book will be destroyed?

Pretty sure they have all the 9.8, 9.9 and 10 labels pre-printed.  It's just a matter of finding the books to encase them with  ;)

On 9/1/2022 at 8:31 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I feel like I've had to say this 1,000 times in the last week: It's not a Superman Vol 2 #75 variant. It's a 30th Anniversary Special variant. It's a new comic book.

I know.  It's 4 short stories by the original writers... Zzz

I have no idea or interest in what they're about. I only go by the title when making jokes.

So... my comment doesn't change. 

I hope this is obvious to everyone but they are constructing a grade curve.

1,000 books manufactured, all sent to grading, pre screen 9.8+, you can expect 300+ of 1,000 to hit that. Then of that subset it will include all the potential 9.9+ candidates. Allows defending a disproportionate set of 9.9 books.

Anyone valuing these books should not value a 9.9 (or 9.8) here as exceptional. So there should be no increased value in this junk because the distribution of grades will be unnaturally high.

A 9.8 is exceptional for GA books. For a modern, not so much. For this… it is just the “norm”… so who cares 

But focusing on how many 9.8, 9.9 etc makes no sense. It is expected and can be completely legitimate based on this approach.

Edited by BraveDave

The big difference here is that BTC has stated that video evidence of the destruction will be provided by CGC.  Personally, I have not seen any pulping proof provided when there is a "strict limitation" on any variant in this fashion.

Sure the exclusive provider can state they are going to do such but without evidence we have to rely solely on their word that is is done as such.

There will also have to be exactly 300 9.8s, no 9.9s or 10s in the mix.  Otherwise the stated only 9.8 copies sold and the other 700 destroyed will be a farce, creating the DeathOfSupermanGate. lol

Spoiler

Just my opinions, nothing more, nothing less. :)