• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA Wednesday auction

47 posts in this topic

Is it just me or is next week‘s HA auction actually the strongest weekly auction in a long time? How is it possible that the Detective Comics 487 cover is not in one of the signature auctions? 

https://www.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?Ne=1058&N=3186+793+794+791+1893+792+2088+4294942193+1067+&limitTo=all&ic5=CatalogHome-ActionArea-Search-071515

On 9/1/2022 at 10:33 PM, tth2 said:

Maybe the consignor needs the money relatively quickly and missed the deadline for the current Signature auction and can't wait until the next Signature auction?

I would also say that he/she is unlikely to get a lower price because it's in a weekly auction as opposed to a Signature auction.  The days in which you could find bargains in the weekly auctions are gone. 

I miss my $85 pages 

On 9/1/2022 at 9:24 PM, oldwhy said:

How is it possible that the Detective Comics 487 cover is not in one of the signature auctions?

3 main possibilities IMO:

1. Would rather be the clear standout in a weekly auction than just one of 892 nice pieces in a Signature sale. Look, it's even more or less gotten its own thread on the Boards here as a result!

2. The @tth2 theory that maybe the consignor can't or doesn't want to wait for the next Signature sale after missing the cut-off for the current one.

3. Maybe doesn't want to risk the market cooling off by the time the next Signature sale comes around. :ohnoez: 

It's a great cover by Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez.  If you look at the calendar, the piece is in the Wednesday, September 7 auction.

But right after it ?  You have the Signature Auction, September 8.  Anyone that really wants the Detective Comics 487 cover has to hedge against anything they want in the Signature Auction.

Edited by Will_K

On 9/2/2022 at 11:09 AM, oldwhy said:

In the end it’s just me living in the past :-). In this market there really are no „under the radar“ pieces anymore and consignments in the weekly auctions probably do as well as consignments in the signature auction. 

I will miss the days of people posting links to cool "under the radar" pieces at auction, and then getting tons of hate mail for 'revealing the buried treasure' and messing up whomever's best-laid plans to get a steal. 
With no more "under the radar" or "buried treasure" any more.....so, no more hate mail.  :sorry:

On 9/2/2022 at 11:09 AM, oldwhy said:

In the end it’s just me living in the past :-). In this market there really are no „under the radar“ pieces anymore and consignments in the weekly auctions probably do as well as consignments in the signature auction. 

Well, here is (maybe) an under the radar opportunity on eBay, Scott Hampton has been selling pages from Neil Gaiman's "The Graveyard Book."  They are going for $200-500 for the most part.  Scott inked/painted these.  The penciller ... P. Craig Russell, although he is not mentioned in the description but has autographed the pages.

On 9/2/2022 at 12:09 PM, oldwhy said:

It depends upon what you are looking for. Good artists on unpopular books are likely to remain under the radar. Mediocre pieces by well respected artists on popular books, IMO, do better than they should. But after the Pandemic, I think lot’s of things at least at the higher end have gone up. With the shallow recession we are in, the question is whether they will hold. After Friday’s Wall Street Journal article on the baseball card market being on fire, you can safely assume it will drop soon (the question being how long can owner/sellers of the cards pawn them off on rubes for how long?). But this stuff is art, not photographs on cardboard.

On 9/7/2022 at 6:49 PM, Will_K said:

Detective Comics 487 cover by Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez went for $ 43,200 (including buyer's premium). Wow.

Which is a bargain...inch for inch put up against this...

1937288608_ScreenShot2022-09-07at7_12_42PM.thumb.png.7d6088c06f0f3ffc972d278184a75106.png

On 9/7/2022 at 7:49 PM, Will_K said:

Detective Comics 487 cover by Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez went for $ 43,200 (including buyer's premium). Wow.

Its nice to finally see Jose's artwork prices reflect his talents.  His artwork has been so good for so long, and criminally undervalued until the past two-three years.

On 9/7/2022 at 8:21 PM, KirbyCollector said:

Looking at the CLink auction right now... Brunner Marvel Premiere Dr Strange cover @ $64,666 seems like a bargain... if that was under the actual Dr Strange title I believe it would have been a lot more

It's a beautiful cover, and sure, if it was under the Dr Strange title it would have went for more, but it has quite a few condition issues.  I think the condition notes per Clink kept several people (myself included) from bidding:

Note: The art was produced on another board and then cut out and glued to this board. The bottom 1 1/2" of the support board was cut and taped back on with masking tape on the back. The trade dressing is production paste -up. Both of the TMs are affixed by a 1" piece of tape. The "Featuring" is affixed with a 3" long piece of tape. The date is also attached with a 1/2" piece of tape. The Marvel Comics Group has a 10" long piece of tape. The support board is missing a piece of the top left corner, as we;; as a 1/2" crease on the bottom right corner and a 5" crease on the top right corner.

More Clink thoughts... Colan Dr Strange cover strong at $86K... will regret passing on that Tony Harris Dr Fate cover, $1550 is cheap for quality like that regardless of title but trying to save some dry powder right now... Infantino Detective 327 (1st "New Look" Batman) price was right in line with the rest of the pages which sold on HA over the past year... Kirby Cap 102 page was really hurt by the page toning

I was surprised at the McDonnell Iron Man result, but not as much as the Infantino Spider-Woman 5 page selling for $6,600.

Over at C-link, I thought the Ditko Strange Tales 125 page featuring great images of Dr. Strange sold low at $66K.

And I was totally shocked by the Spider-Woman 20 page by Frank Springer selling for $8,600 at C-link. Yeah, I know it had Spider-Man on it, but, wow, almost $9K for a Springer Spider-Woman page.

Edited by Michael Browning

On 9/8/2022 at 6:56 AM, Michael Browning said:

I was surprised at the McDonnell Iron Man result, but not as much as the Infantino Spider-Woman 5 page selling for $6,600

Infantino SW has been really tough to find over the past few years... price shows a measure of buyer frustration imo

On 9/8/2022 at 7:49 AM, Will_K said:

$20k for a Terry & The Pirates comic strip from 1935.  It's crazy how prices have absolutely exploded for these.