• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage September 2022 Art of Anime Etc. Auction

24 posts in this topic

https://comics.ha.com/c/auction-home.zx?saleNo=7292&ic=hero-Animation-viewAuctionHome-7292-082922

They've done a few of these now but there are a lot of items in this one, much more than in previous ones I think.  So many cool looking but totally random pieces that I am clueless on the value of.  Not sure anyone else has a great idea either, half the "featured" items are at zero a few days in.

Are there any good pricing references for any of this stuff beyond the HA archives?  I know in previous discussion people mentioned other Anime auction houses like Mandarake, but I couldn't easily dig out much pricing history there.

Edited by szav

Lack of response to my post here was not reflective of lack of enthusiasm for this auction.  Bit surprised I'd have thought there was generally interest in anime art from comic OA aficionados.

Not a huge fan of Dragon Ball but this Vegta basically tells how it went for any bidders who went in to this one thinking there might be any bargains because all the pre live auction bids were low, and the stock market and economy are goin down the toilet.  Nope....there's a lotta insane money out there.

image.png.fb48d2757623e711c2303af1fc9d30b2.png

Some of the Studio Ghibli stuff, just nuts.  I know there's not a lot out on the open market, but considering each of the movies has around 150,000 cels...I just can't wrap my head around what gets paid for them.  Maybe many were destroyed or are assumed to never be available, but if they were...well, then you'd have to think all the cells from movies like Kiki's Delivery Service are worth more than 1 billion combined?  40k for this one and its "printed background for presentation services".  I mean it was a decent movie but wow.....

image.thumb.png.704c5abe543fea930415f848471c37c2.png

On 9/23/2022 at 7:54 PM, szav said:

Some of the Studio Ghibli stuff, just nuts.  I know there's not a lot out on the open market, but considering each of the movies has around 150,000 cels...I just can't wrap my head around what gets paid for them.  Maybe many were destroyed or are assumed to never be available, but if they were...well, then you'd have to think all the cells from movies like Kiki's Delivery Service are worth more than 1 billion combined?  40k for this one and its "printed background for presentation services".  I mean it was a decent movie but wow.....

I am watching one piece in this auction

On 9/23/2022 at 11:24 PM, jaykza said:

Won this piece. Not cheap and don't expect to have much of a collection of this stuff but couldn't resist having a great visual piece from my favorite anime. Maybe another piece from my 2nd favorite anime and I'd be done. 

Screenshot_20220923-173139_Brave.jpg

Cool pick up, and one with a genuine background too, congrats!  The Evangelions definitely were not cheap.  I'm not that experienced in this market but the high floor on the prices for anything generally recognizable was as surprising to me as the shockingly high prices on the Studio Ghibli cels.  Even the truly obscure pieces were going well over what I'd expected.  Good luck picking up something from your second favorite...there's still a long way to go with this auction running through Monday, and another other stuff + anime auction closing in a week or so as well. https://comics.ha.com/c/auction-home.zx?saleNo=7273&ic=breadcrumb-comics-121913-interior

Edited by szav

On 9/23/2022 at 9:54 PM, szav said:

I loved loved the movie - saw it with my daughter.   But yeah, 40k with a fake background, yikes.    

i have the same reservation about bidding more than 500 bucks for pretty much any cel.    They made bajillions of them. 

On 9/24/2022 at 2:24 AM, jaykza said:

Won this piece. Not cheap and don't expect to have much of a collection of this stuff but couldn't resist having a great visual piece from my favorite anime. Maybe another piece from my 2nd favorite anime and I'd be done. 

What’s the anime?   I’m not familiar

I was watching four items specifically (the three marvel card art pieces and the sonic piece) and the studio ghibli stuff generally.

The card pieces did well at between 10-35k ; they seem up in general.

The sonic had the classic elements but was only published on a puzzle box, had significant damage, and was basically an outright copy of a well known piece published elsewhere.   Given the flaws I thought the 10k result was on the strong end of expectations. 

The ghibli pieces we’ve talked about.   I have trouble bidding on any cel but those movies are admittedly pretty great. 

Always hard to know how many cels actually exist. I had heard stories about several Japanese series where the cels were either lost completely or re-used. I believe the DnD cartoon suffers from the latter, perhaps the Rankin Bass Tolkien pieces as well. Cels also have considerable issues with degeneration that seems to vary from series to series. And worst of all, they are hard to frame and really hard to look good framed because the acetate wrinkles when floated correctly to protect the paint layers from sticking. I tend to focus completely now on cels with the original backgrounds only because there are only one of those. Oddly the market seems to undervalue these in some cases, which I don't understand at all.

On 9/23/2022 at 11:24 PM, jaykza said:

Beautiful piece! Congrats!

On 9/24/2022 at 8:42 PM, tth2 said:

I thought I heard somewhere that prices for Disney cels peaked in the 1980s.  I've been leery of cels since then.  

I think the Disney cels have recovered.  I was watching the 1954 Peanuts Sunday but $75k was to rich for me.  It was a really nice piece.

How the Grinch Stole Christmas cels did pretty good.  I didn't like any of the Peanuts cels.  I have a nice one from the Thanksgiving show but still want one from Halloween and Christmas.  I keep getting beat out :cry: