• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question - Full Backs
1 1

62 posts in this topic

On 9/4/2022 at 1:18 PM, I Am The Answer! said:

E-Gerber web site describes FBs as "one side white."  HBs still say white on both sides.  

When I was ordering direct from EGerber, they described the available FBs that way, but they didn't say why the change, nor did I ask.

On 9/4/2022 at 2:57 PM, conan09279 said:

I just got a new set of E Gerber fullbacks from Amazon and the back is brown as opposed to white like all my other fullbacks.

Those are butt-arse ugly........makes them look like cheap junk now. :facepalm:

WTF us wrong with companies these days?  It's like they're all trying to win the world record for dumbest idea.

Looking forward to the introduction of New Coke 2.

On 9/4/2022 at 7:26 PM, Domo Arigato said:

WTF us wrong with companies these days?  It's like they're all trying to win the world record for dumbest idea.

At least maybe the dumb-arses will use the right side against the book now. :yeehaw:

On 9/4/2022 at 10:26 PM, Domo Arigato said:

I totally agree. That’s why I thought it had to be a mistake. It makes my books look off. That said, I can live with it. But I can imagine that this will drive some collectors absolutely nuts. 

On 9/4/2022 at 8:29 PM, conan09279 said:

this will drive some collectors absolutely nuts

I suspect this is all a clever marketing ploy to force collectors with OCD to buy all new boards so they all have the brown backs because they can't stand to have some books with white and some with brown.

On 9/4/2022 at 6:32 PM, zzutak said:

That is correct: two 24-mil HBs placed on top of one another will be thicker than one 42-mil FB.  (thumbsu  However, the single FB will still have the greatest flexural rigidity (or resistance to bending).  A glue lam beam "works" because the individual laminae are glued together to prevent sliding between layers.  Without that glue, there can be no shear transfer.  The stacked layers would no longer behave as a single unit.  Glue lam beams "work" because of the glue, not because of the number of layers.  Class dismissed.  :grin:  :hi:

lGL-Beam.thumb.png.2fd83fb0da1191be26fac8d0ae3ad719.png

I worked with a carpenter once who was convinced two 2x6’s standing side by side were as good as one 2x12 on edge. I made some quick sketches and wrote some simplified formulae on a wall and identified the area moment of inertia as being key in comparing the two configurations. For many years after that, he’d never say “hello;” instead, he’d point to me and bellow “one-twelfth b h-cubed.” 

When I ordered direct two weeks ago, I was informed that FBs were white only on one side now because their supplier could not do both. It sounds odd, but given all the crazy supply chain disruptions that have taken place in the last few years anything seems possible. I saw some of the new boards a few months ago on a dealer's table and my first thought was "Are these legit?"

Regarding my order, I was told it would take about 10 weeks, but it was processed 7 days later and bags and boards were in hand a few days after that.

Edited by Dick Pontoon

Those look weird. Looks like they are still calling them 100% acid free and archival. I guess safe to assume only if your book is on the white “coated” side?

Looks like they found a new cheaper supplier.

Was thinking about placing an order. As long as they still meet their quality standards and aren’t thinner. 

On 9/4/2022 at 3:57 PM, conan09279 said:

Hi,

I just got a new set of E Gerber fullbacks from Amazon and the back is brown as opposed to white like all my other fullbacks. Is this new or did I get a bad batch? They also seem thinner than my older ones. Just curious. 

7488C0BA-2C05-4797-9685-9D4F347C3217.jpeg

The guy I get supplies from has been trying to get these for months, and now that they are back in stock he was warned that only one side is white. Gerber told him it was to keep the costs down plus they could not source the proper materials. 

On 9/5/2022 at 11:33 AM, Robot Man said:

Those look weird. Looks like they are still calling them 100% acid free and archival. I guess safe to assume only if your book is on the white “coated” side?

Looks like they found a new cheaper supplier.

Was thinking about placing an order. As long as they still meet their quality standards and aren’t thinner. 

I matched them up with older ones and they are the same thickness.  They don't seem as sturdy, however.  

Edited by conan09279