• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question - Full Backs
1 1

62 posts in this topic

On 9/5/2022 at 11:33 AM, Robot Man said:

Those look weird. Looks like they are still calling them 100% acid free and archival. I guess safe to assume only if your book is on the white “coated” side?

I thought the whole thing about E Gerber boards were that they WEREN'T coated.

On 9/5/2022 at 10:38 AM, MR. Pontoon said:

Regarding my order, I was told it would take about 10 weeks, but it was processed 7 days later and bags and boards were in hand a few days after that.

I'm getting ready to order so this is good to hear.

This does seem a bit bizarre but I think my OCD can get past it. Anyone know if eGerber has archives back in stock?

On 9/5/2022 at 3:20 PM, ttfitz said:

Going even further than that, I thought they made the boards.

I would have been pi**ed off if I had ordered thousands of fullbacks from them expecting the normal ones and then receiving these.

So who actually makes these things? :facepalm:

On 9/5/2022 at 5:50 PM, Domo Arigato said:
On 9/5/2022 at 4:20 PM, ttfitz said:

Going even further than that, I thought they made the boards.

Well my thought was that they "made" their products from materials from other sources - they didn't manufacture the mylar or cardboard themselves.

On 9/5/2022 at 5:59 PM, ttfitz said:

Well my thought was that they "made" their products from materials from other sources - they didn't manufacture the mylar or cardboard themselves.

I have no idea.  

This quote from *spoon* Pontoon is what leads me to question it now.

Makes me wonder if E.Gerber gets them from somewhere else and then just cuts them to size.

On 9/5/2022 at 9:38 AM, MR. Pontoon said:

When I ordered direct two weeks ago, I was informed that FBs were only coated on one side now because their supplier could not do both.

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 9/6/2022 at 12:43 PM, wbauer74 said:

They are still fully buffered throughout it is just 1 side is white now. I buy direct from e-gerber and made sure it is the same quality as the previous all white older ones but nothing has changed except the ugly brown on 1 side.

Can I ask how you did this?

On 9/4/2022 at 4:32 PM, zzutak said:

That is correct: two 24-mil HBs placed on top of one another will be thicker than one 42-mil FB.  (thumbsu  However, the single FB will still have the greatest flexural rigidity (or resistance to bending).  A glue lam beam "works" because the individual laminae are glued together to prevent sliding between layers.  Without that glue, there can be no shear transfer.  The stacked layers would no longer behave as a single unit.  Glue lam beams "work" because of the glue, not because of the number of layers.  Class dismissed.  :grin:  :hi:

lGL-Beam.thumb.png.2fd83fb0da1191be26fac8d0ae3ad719.png

That’s a cool explanation - I had to reinforce my deck with a lam beam, and I never really knew the how/why behind it. I just figured it looked neater And that’s why you did it that way.

On 9/6/2022 at 6:32 PM, Gaard said:

Can I ask how you did this?

When you order direct you order by phone and have to talk to someone. I had the person confirm and check within the company that there is no change to the buffer except for the color being brown on 1 side. Also if you look at the very first post of this topic it shows a picture clearly saying it is buffered throughout. You can also go to their website and see the specs listed. https://www.egerber.com/catalog_fullbacks.htm

Edited by wbauer74

On 9/6/2022 at 12:43 PM, wbauer74 said:

They are still fully buffered throughout it is just 1 side is white now. I buy direct from e-gerber and made sure it is the same quality as the previous all white older ones but nothing has changed except the ugly brown on 1 side.

OCD will ensure that most avoid these bargain looking boards

On 9/7/2022 at 10:55 AM, wbauer74 said:

When you order direct you order by phone and have to talk to someone. I had the person confirm and check within the company that there is no change to the buffer except for the color being brown on 1 side. Also if you look at the very first post of this topic it shows a picture clearly saying it is buffered throughout. You can also go to their website and see the specs listed. https://www.egerber.com/catalog_fullbacks.htm

Last time I ordered, I was told the same thing. They are still acid-free, archival quality full backs. Due to their trouble with their materials supplier, they had to source brown material instead of white. E Gerber insists that they are the same quality as the all-white boards, and I have no reason to doubt their assertions.

On 9/5/2022 at 1:20 PM, ttfitz said:

They aren't.  I emailed customer service in June when my order of 2000 Full Backs arrived brown on one side.  This is what I received as a response from George:

"As we explained they are the same buffered and only boards that are truest buffered on the market. The only paper mill in the country has refused to make white on two sides anymore. They have no coating at all and never have. You can return if you wish as we may stop carrying them due to paper mill not meeting our expectations."

Clearly E. Gerber is getting a lot of questions about the brown-on-one-side Full Backs and they're sick of it.  lol

Also, I bought a few hundred Half Backs when they were sold out of Full Backs and tried the two-Half-Backs-instead-of-one-Full-Back thing.  It isn't nearly as rigid as one Full Back and the Half Backs are not completely flat anyway (they are convex).  This puts stress on the spines of the books inside the Mylar, even when you use two of them, and is unacceptable to me. 

Bottom line is that this OCD collector is just going to use the Full Backs even though they are brown on one side.  It wasn't a cost savings issue, it was a problem with the paper mill refusing to make the boards white on both sides.  That's not E. Gerber's fault. 

On 9/16/2022 at 1:41 PM, Gaard said:

@FFBDoes it make a difference if you switch the convexifness of the 2 half-backs? (yeah, I made that word up)

It will make a difference in terms of flattening them out, but together they're still flexible as hell so they don't provide the rigidity that I am looking for. 

This is what I've been waiting for over a year for? Cripes... these look like junk boards Chuckster from Mile High uses. :facepalm: 

Interestingly, BCW now claims to have the 3% calcium carbonate buffering in their boards, but they are only 24pt vs the thicker Fullbacks. May be worth experimenting with two in a bag. 

Bags Unlimited has an all white board that seems comparable to Fullbacks in archival quality and thickness, but the price is eye popping.

On 9/16/2022 at 11:32 AM, FFB said:

Clearly E. Gerber is getting a lot of questions about the brown-on-one-side Full Backs and they're sick of it.  lol

After decades of selling Full-Backs with two white sides, you would have thought at least ONE person at E.Gerber would have said......."hey, collectors might not like this change or might be confused about it....let's include a simple one page printout in each order explaining the new boards".