• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question - Full Backs
1 1

62 posts in this topic

On 9/16/2022 at 3:35 PM, Domo Arigato said:

After decades of selling Full-Backs with two white sides, you would have thought at least ONE person at E.Gerber would have said......."hey, collectors might not like this change or might be confused about it....let's include a simple one page printout in each order explaining the new boards".

Exactly.  However... they appear to think it's better policy to say nothing and field a bunch of questions from people who think they screwed up! 

On 9/16/2022 at 3:37 PM, FFB said:
On 9/16/2022 at 3:35 PM, Domo Arigato said:

After decades of selling Full-Backs with two white sides, you would have thought at least ONE person at E.Gerber would have said......."hey, collectors might not like this change or might be confused about it....let's include a simple one page printout in each order explaining the new boards".

Exactly.  However... they appear to think it's better policy to say nothing and field a bunch of questions from people who think they screwed up! 

They did tell me straight up on my last order that they are brown on one side. This was about a month ago.

E. Gerber business practices / customer service still seem to be from a different era though. The one pager would go a long ways towards allowing customers to understand.

image.jpeg.deb84c058bf83d28e904c94fca3bfbfd.jpeg

42 mil, acid-free, 3% buffered backing board.

• Genuine acid-free, cellular fiber.
  • Meets strict U.S. Government standards for archival storage.
  • 3% calcium carbonate buffer throughout, maintains a neutral pH.
  • One side white.
  • The highest quality backing board available anywhere.

Sold in packages of 50. We can also provide any custom size to fit your needs.

A little late to this topic but I have a couple questions...

1.  Does anyone know if this is a supply chain issue that may be fixed in several months or if the paper mill flat refuses to have white on both sides going forward?  I talked to someone at E Gerber on the phone but they didn't really give a firm answer either way.  I don't need to convert all my boards over immediately so if waiting 6-12 months means I get the white/white full backs then I'd be fine with that.

2.  For those that have gotten the brown/whites, does any of the brown show if you use the white side?  Is it visually indistinguishable from the front?  A pic would help.

Thanks for any info!

On 10/19/2022 at 5:39 PM, Nashville60 said:

1.  Does anyone know if this is a supply chain issue that may be fixed in several months or if the paper mill flat refuses to have white on both sides going forward?  I talked to someone at E Gerber on the phone but they didn't really give a firm answer either way.  I don't need to convert all my boards over immediately so if waiting 6-12 months means I get the white/white full backs then I'd be fine with that.

2.  For those that have gotten the brown/whites, does any of the brown show if you use the white side?  Is it visually indistinguishable from the front?  A pic would help.

Thanks for any info!

:bump:

On 10/19/2022 at 6:39 PM, Nashville60 said:

Thanks for any info!

No brown shows from the front.  They look just as before.  In my shop, however, if you are walking around the tables, the brown does show from behind as issues stick out from one another.  But, frankly, it's not a big issue for me.  The only time I've had a problem is if there's something additional I want to put in the back... such as a COA.  Then what I do is put a 2nd (slim) white board behind the first so that the certificate isn't floating against the brown cardboard background.

Untitled-Test.jpg

Edited by Bookery
added pic

On 9/7/2022 at 1:04 PM, Sigur Ros said:

So are all my packs of white 700FB's and 750FB's suddenly worth more?

I knew the spec would pay off!

Well either that or its time to move to using the clear backboards that are out there now.  Maybe Ill spec on those i  case they suddenly raise the price or start to make one side brown instead of clear.:insane:

Thought I'd try bumping this question.  I just called eGerber and asked if both sides of the board were archival safe and whether I needed to be concerned about the non-white side damaging the books.  The woman didn't really provide a convincing response as I suspect she is more accustomed to handling customer service and sales requests.  I was hoping maybe she could forward my question to someone with more technical knowledge, but didn't push too much.

So it begs the question, has anyone heard anything more definitive?  I like putting books front and back to reduce the cost of materials, but obviously don't want to do that if one side of the board isn't protected.

On 11/30/2022 at 2:34 PM, ExNihilo said:

Thought I'd try bumping this question.  I just called eGerber and asked if both sides of the board were archival safe and whether I needed to be concerned about the non-white side damaging the books.  The woman didn't really provide a convincing response as I suspect she is more accustomed to handling customer service and sales requests.  I was hoping maybe she could forward my question to someone with more technical knowledge, but didn't push too much.

So it begs the question, has anyone heard anything more definitive?  I like putting books front and back to reduce the cost of materials, but obviously don't want to do that if one side of the board isn't protected.

Interesting. 

So how does only one side become white while the other is brown?

Clearly each side must be treated differently during production. But how so?

Is one side bleached and the other not?

And when is the acid-buffering material added - is it after the boards are produced and bleached on one side, like a spray-on coating afterwards? Or is the buffering component added during the construction of the pulp itself? And would bleaching only one side affect its buffering capacity?

Question for those who have the two-sided boards... can you see on the edge where the white and brown meet? And does the white side feel different than the brown side? 

Has anyone tried an acid-buffering litmus test comparing the two different sides?

Very curious. hm

On 11/30/2022 at 1:34 PM, ExNihilo said:

The entire board is buffered, so you would be fine putting them front to back.  It just looks weird. 

I ended up getting and order of FBs, Mylite 2s and archives and the turn around time for eGerber is much better now. They quoted the standard 10 weeks but everything was delivered today, just over 7 weeks. 

On 12/17/2022 at 11:40 AM, universal soldier said:

I ended up getting and order of FBs, Mylite 2s and archives and the turn around time for eGerber is much better now. They quoted the standard 10 weeks but everything was delivered today, just over 7 weeks. 

Are they actually making archives again?  What size did you order?

On 1/17/2023 at 10:55 AM, greggy said:

Are they actually making archives again?  What size did you order?

They are but I can't recall if they are setting a limit on how many (400?). This was back at the end of October so maybe that has changed. I ordered 200 of the

775R 7 3/4 x 10 1/2 Silver/Golden Comics - 1950's-70's

IMG_8898.JPG.1dd076d10f106ff6f12a2d211e8e7c93.JPG

On 1/17/2023 at 10:54 AM, universal soldier said:

They are but I can't recall if they are setting a limit on how many (400?). This was back at the end of October so maybe that has changed. I ordered 200 of the

775R 7 3/4 x 10 1/2 Silver/Golden Comics - 1950's-70's

IMG_8898.JPG.1dd076d10f106ff6f12a2d211e8e7c93.JPG

Yeah, I lucked out ordering 2000 early on before they stopped making it.  I should email them to ask if there is a limit or not. 

On 1/17/2023 at 2:08 PM, greggy said:

Update: Found out that the limit is 500 with a 10 week turnaround. 

They quoted me the 10 weeks too but my order showed up in 7 weeks.

On 1/17/2023 at 11:18 AM, universal soldier said:

They quoted me the 10 weeks too but my order showed up in 7 weeks.

I ordered last in July 2020 and I was quoted 4-6 weeks but it took 4 months at that time.  I almost gave up on it.