• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Staining on the cover
2 2

6 posts in this topic

Hello, I recently purchased this book and it seems to have a small stain or colour rub on the top part of the comic, otherwise the book looks immaculate. My question is, how much points does a small stain or colour rub, such as the one pictured, effect the grade? Can an issue like this grade a NM? 

1EE2134B-26E7-40A3-9816-F9C5048F4E58.jpeg

Edited by Ramrod69
Accidentally added the wrong picture

This kind of looks like it could be considered a manufacturer printer error and may not effect the grade.  If you rub your finger along it, does it feel like someone has rubbed off a stain and left a white spot or is it as glossy and smooth as the rest of the cover?

People, please.  It's "affect the grade", not "effect" the grade.  Given that folks have a 50/50 chance of using the correct version (affect is the verb), it's amazing that it is used incorrectly almost 100% of the time.  Stick with one and only get it wrong 50% of the time.

As far as the comic goes, if it appears to be a printing error, they go fairly easy on it, maybe not dropping at all.  It may depend if it's a known problem, seen on other copies occasionally.

If it is determined to be a stain, or that color has rubbed off due to use or improper storage, it can turn an otherwise 9.6 into an 8.5, give or take.  I have had small inconspicuous stains that I didn't pick up turn my supposed 9.0-9.2 into 7.5.  A glaring stain, maybe a more severe drop.

It also can depend on where it is located.  If it's hidden in an advertisement on the back cover, probably a small hit.  If it's front and center, as in the photo, that might be a body blow.  If it's determined not to be a manufacturing error, that is.