• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Todd Mcfarlane Private Signing?
12 12

792 posts in this topic

On 10/22/2022 at 5:34 PM, bobotski said:

Paint pens tend to stay wet for a long time. Good luck with your sig not smudging and I hope my book doesn't get piled on top of yours.

They do, and I have no idea how fast this whole thing will be signed and processed in real time, but considering that this is the premier, professional grading service for comics, and the costs and expected TAT involved, I would anticipate the handlers should know how to care for and slab/pack every comic with care, ensuring ink is dry with each book.

Serious question:  is this too much to realistically expect? 

On 10/22/2022 at 5:43 PM, Danno561 said:

I have gone back and forth on this, trying to balance risk and reward.  Floor vs ceiling.  Would appreciate your thoughts about sending this in.  Looking only at expected ROI

E86960BB-0733-4128-9616-A6932E60B0D5.jpeg

Grader notes might help.  Pressing history might help.  Raw pictures might help. The expected ROI is heavily dependent on the condition of the comic which is nearly impossible for random internet strangers to examine.

but otherwise there should be enough data out there for you to do your own analysis of acheiavable prices and see if the ROI matches up with your personal preferences.  

On 10/22/2022 at 2:34 PM, bobotski said:

Paint pens tend to stay wet for a long time. Good luck with your sig not smudging and I hope my book doesn't get piled on top of yours.

I remember back in the day when Todd were signing the Spidey 300's at the local con's for free and he was always very careful with how he placed the books afterwards and told his fans to be patient to make sure that they wouldn't smudged.  :applause:

Not sure about nowadays with these private signings and the involvment of CGC because it just might be all about the money and cranking out as many as they can.  (shrug)

On 10/23/2022 at 12:58 AM, revat said:

Grader notes might help.  Pressing history might help.  Raw pictures might help. The expected ROI is heavily dependent on the condition of the comic which is nearly impossible for random internet strangers to examine.

but otherwise there should be enough data out there for you to do your own analysis of acheiavable prices and see if the ROI matches up with your personal preferences.  

Grader notes unavailable. Pressing history unknown. Raw pictures unavailable.

you are correct.  An analysis of pdf (probability density function) by grade with corresponding FMV’s would yield an expected value.  When comparing this number less the cost of signing/grading to the current fmv, I can arrive at a decision factoring in my relatively risk neutral nature. Just thought some “random internet strangers” could provide some input on the pdf given their experience with regrading after signing.  My sample space of one experience which oddly yielded a slight improvement in grade, is clearly not credible.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CkMh_87gJ_t/

quick clip from Todd.

Spawning in with a reminder that you still have until November 11th, 2022, to submit your books or trading cards to the upcoming @toddmcfarlane In-House Private Signing! If you were looking to add a unique piece to your collection, the #ToddFather has got you covered with a few suggestions that he really hopes you’ll submit as there are currently ZERO of these books graded and signed on the #CGCCensus. If you want to get in on this exclusive signing with the famed #Spider-Man artist and #Spawn creator, make sure to swing over to the link in our bio and prep your submission today! ✍️ 🕷️

Now he tells us.:bigsmile:

On 10/3/2022 at 11:47 PM, bobotski said:

Just get a new unsigned Spawn 1 and have that signed. I don't know what makes your current book "beautiful" but it'd be better to own 2 with one of them a true yellow label.

What’s a true yellow label?  Yellow label is yellow label.  Qualified Yellow just means something is on the book that was not there when the book was produced or, something was removed.  Qualified Signature is a yellow label because the signature was witnessed. There is no “true” vs. “false” yellow label.  Our community needs to move away from that idea.

On 11/2/2022 at 4:50 PM, Comixroc said:

What’s a true yellow label?  Yellow label is yellow label.  Qualified Yellow just means something is on the book that was not there when the book was produced or, something was removed.  Qualified Signature is a yellow label because the signature was witnessed. There is no “true” vs. “false” yellow label.  Our community needs to move away from that idea.

Our community doesn’t have to do anything. I agree that this would not be a “true” yellow label and would not want it in my collection, but I would like a Spawn 1 yellow label.

On 11/2/2022 at 7:52 PM, thesink said:

Our community doesn’t have to do anything. I agree that this would not be a “true” yellow label and would not want it in my collection, but I would like a Spawn 1 yellow label.

How is it not a “true” yellow label?  Is the signature witnessed?  Yes or no?  Explain, Sir.  

On 11/2/2022 at 7:58 PM, Comixroc said:

How is it not a “true” yellow label?  Is the signature witnessed?  Yes or no?  Explain, Sir.  

I don't like comics with significant defects or restored comics, as many others don't. We all know the yellow label is still on these and there is a witnessed signature and that signature is good. When people say "true yellow" they are referring to the 95% of the green/yellow labels that have "name written on cover" and that makes it look ridiculous. Collect what you want, there are a lot of "cheap" qualified/ss labels out there for you to buy if you don't have a problem with it. 

On 11/6/2022 at 6:19 PM, ak47po said:

Has Todd started signing for this event or is this video another signing? Looks like maybe NYCC? Doesn't look like CGC offices.

I wondered the same, but figured someone would post movement if so lol

But all super excited, yet my book hasn't even checked in and has been there 4 weeks as delivered. Cgc Mike told me to tell him if not in by Tuesday  :sorry:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 10/22/2022 at 8:43 PM, Danno561 said:

I have gone back and forth on this, trying to balance risk and reward.  Floor vs ceiling.  Would appreciate your thoughts about sending this in.  Looking only at expected ROI

E86960BB-0733-4128-9616-A6932E60B0D5.jpeg

I rolled the dice! Sent my 9.4 in for sig. and press and new label! Do it!

On 11/6/2022 at 6:28 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I wondered the same, but figured someone would post movement if so lol

But all super excited, yet my book hasn't even checked in and has been there 4 weeks as delivered. Cgc Mike told me to tell him if not in by Tuesday  :sorry:

Ah dang that was a horrible Auto correct 😂💯💪

On 11/8/2022 at 8:11 AM, Ninja0215 said:
On 11/7/2022 at 4:24 PM, fishbone said:

For $120, am I gonna get the full "Todd McFarlane" treatment, or the lazy "T. McFarlane" ?!  ???

With as many books as I'm thinking he's gonna get; I would imagine the T.Mcfarlane 

I took a chance and got the signature label, of McFarlane signature, to better the odds, but I'm not really sure it'll make any difference.

In my mind at the time it did haha

Edited by ADAMANTIUM