• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA Facsimile Editions
2 2

68 posts in this topic

On 9/23/2022 at 12:26 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

I am not very kbowledgeable about copywrite and I understand why it bugs some of us.

PSArtbooks seem to rely on what is in the public domain for example. So unless someone uploads a full copy of Chilling Tales to the Digital Museum I doubt they will ever complete the out-of copywrite PCH project they started so long ago.

I have many of their titles, and one can clearly see that resto is minimal.

Shout out to our very own @Artboy99

who loaned PSA his precious copy of Planet #15 or that book set might never have been completed.

But at least we have them even if as books not facsimiles, though they have now done a few of these.

Plus we have EC (did anyone else collect the facsimile sets from the nineties like me?)

Wherever I can, I pick up HB editions -Fantagraphics deserve a mention.

LMK if you guys would like more info as it's going off topic strictly speaking.

Hey Flex! Hope you are well.

PS Artbooks publicly requested scans for Planet Comics #13 and #15 for their compendium project. While I had both books my #13 is in a CGC case so I couldn't help them with that one, but my #15 was a possibility. My 15 was purchased off Ebay (off Bedrock) as a CGC 1.5 qualified. After it arrived the detached front cover began to slide down inside the case and it got so low I was worried it would get damaged so since PS Artbooks was seeking scans of the book I decided to crack the book out of the case. 

I contacted PS Artbooks by email and Roy Thomas replied giving me the details of what they would need and asked if I could do the scanning. If not they would need me to ship them the book, as I am an artist I had a scanner capable of producing the scans and sent one for them to test and they could work with it so I scanned my book.

In addition to the completely detached cover, I learned the cover was entirely split in half at the spine and the 2 center wraps were detached from the staples.

After scanning I uploaded the images to a website address they provided me.

I have since had my Planet 15 conserved and I do not regret the decision.

Edited by Artboy99

Thanks for the great description! Pretty sure PSA would not have bought their own copy so the line is complete thanks to your remarkable generosity.

I hope they gave you a free set of the books in compensation! 

Did you note much in the way of restoration comparing your scan with the published pages?

Edited by Flex Mentallo

On 9/23/2022 at 5:50 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

Thanks for the great description! Pretty sure PSA would not have bought their own copy so the line is complete thanks to your remarkable generosity.

I hope they gave you a free set of the books in compensation! 

Did you note much in the way of restoration comparing your scan with the published pages?

They definitely did some digital clean-up. Lightened pages from cream to white, removed any defects, etc.

Roy Thomas offered to give me a signed copy of the compendiums but he never delivered. Oh well, happy to know I helped.

On 9/22/2022 at 11:26 PM, Flex Mentallo said:

Fantagraphics deserve a mention

I have their Untamed Love Frazetta reprint issue.  It's very well done.  They seem to have rescanned the original FF pages and added new color (similar to how Cat was describing - not garrish, but beautiful soft watercolor-esq color).

But as to the original Thread question:  my understanding is that whomever scans a public domain book has the rights to their scans.  If someone wishes to print or use those scans, they must obtain permission from the individual who scanned it.  However, if the printed material is given away ("free") then there is not really any harm done to the copyright holder.

I'm not a lawyer.

On 9/23/2022 at 1:26 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

I am not very kbowledgeable about copywrite and I understand why it bugs some of us.

PSArtbooks seem to rely on what is in the public domain for example. So unless someone uploads a full copy of Chilling Tales to the Digital Museum I doubt they will ever complete the out-of copywrite PCH project they started so long ago.

I have many of their titles, and one can clearly see that resto is minimal.

Shout out to our very own @Artboy99

who loaned PSA his precious copy of Planet #15 or that book set might never have been completed.

But at least we have them even if as books not facsimiles, though they have now done a few of these.

Plus we have EC (did anyone else collect the facsimile sets from the nineties like me?)

Wherever I can, I pick up HB editions -Fantagraphics deserve a mention.

LMK if you guys would like more info as it's going off topic strictly speaking.

The copyright issue can be complicated, but there's usually some limitation associated with remaining in print and or licensing.  After a period of inactivity, publishing rights usually become part of the public domain.  PSArtbooks has done a pretty good job of reprinting precode horror and SF.  I'll join you in commending @Artboy99 for participating in this noble endeavor.

EC facsimiles are horses of different color: The licensed EC reprints are a frustrating kind of love/hate thing.  The original EC Portfolios that Russ Cochran turned out were gorgeous (I have a set, one was signed by Bill Gaines), followed by the awesome oversized slipcased B&W hardbound sets shot from the original art, all officially authorized with covers in full color.  The original Mad Archive reprints were done in both B&W and color. Unfortunately, these were never followed up with full color editions of all EC lines featuring Marie Severin's color work.  I'm assuming that doing all EC lines would've been prohibitive due to the size and pricing.  Anyway, this was a grand achievement that has never been bested, IMO.

It should be mentioned that there have been attempts by small publishers along the way to turn out licensed color reprints of EC comics in mid-sized comic formats with randomly selected "best" stories which ...for the most part... were well chosen, but lacked the cohesiveness of the fully restored and reprinted lines of comics.

Russ did finally get around to producing those licensed reprints of the original comics in the early '90s, but the decision to fiddle with the originals by replacing the editorial page with a new Letters to the Editor page ...inviting fans to submit their own amateur art masterpieces... was definitely ill advised from my perspective.  The tackiness of most of the art published in the new letters page stood out like a sore thumb, giving the comic an unprofessional look.  This made the EC reprint comics less desirable to purists like myself.

Then Russ's attempt at licensing color Archive Editions split the baby again, by going with an in-between size for the full color hardcovers. The most controversial aspect of this laudable effort was digital coloring which varied in quality from story to story and was very hit and miss, ...mostly miss.  These ended up going through two or three permutations under different publishers with declining sales.  At this point I should add that the late Russ Cochran was a giant in the fan community, his legendary status well earned. Russ's ambitious publishing projects were mostly successful and he maintained his passion for fandom throughout his life.

:cheers: