• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Budget Sept. 2022 Edition

37 posts in this topic

With all the attention paid to the higher end of the auction, I thought it might be interesting to see what people thought of the items and prices which mere mortals can regularly afford. Unlike “Morlock” art, where the cost is known, we obviously don’t know what a piece will ultimately sell for. Likewise, people may not want to “tip their hand” to items of interest until the auction ends (or, maybe they do). And, since this a major Heritage auction, I am picking a higher range. So, if you see a piece which you either think should sell for less than $2,500, or which does sell for less than $2,500, and you have some thoughts, by all means go for it (knowing they won’t be buried in wonder as all eyes are glued on a Ditko Spider-man piece or some other costly work).

And yes, I am watching a few things, but I am torn about how much I like them. So, the pricing near the end will affect my bidding decision. I will wait. 

On 9/10/2022 at 3:23 PM, wolvergeek said:

Love the budget thread! I have my eyes on a few pieces and I hope I can win them for as low as possible! This will be a good thread tomorrow night. I'm sure no one wants to tip their hands yet! lol

Good luck, unless they include things I'm interested in.

On 9/11/2022 at 1:18 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

The Morlock art at HA is tomorrow…lots of pieces still at $1K or less

Seeing as how several of the Terry & The Pirates dailies have already jumped to $10k+ before live bidding, with many others over $5-6k, your post feels like acid rubbed in the salt in my wounds. :cry:

On 9/11/2022 at 1:12 AM, Rick2you2 said:

So, if you see a piece which you either think should sell for less than $2,500, or which does sell for less than $2,500

There seem to be a bunch of Sal pieces still below $2,500, which of course is crazy cheap for art that's been touched by a god.

On 9/11/2022 at 12:30 AM, tth2 said:

Seeing as how several of the Terry & The Pirates dailies have already jumped to $10k+ before live bidding, with many others over $5-6k, your post feels like acid rubbed in the salt in my wounds. :cry:

This causes some hesitance for me, I was watching some of the session on Friday and there were wild jumps when a piece came up. 

On 9/10/2022 at 4:00 PM, Heidjer Staecker said:

I really have to update my thinking ... I still have trouble swallowing $1,000 as budget.

Don’t forget this is just a chat board intended to give lower priced pieces a time in the spotlight. Buying something for $2,500 isn’t particularly cheap, but seeing what is going on a level up from the bottom, particularly on artists, subjects, etc., can provide valuable insights as where you may want to allocate funds. After thinking $2k was a good target, I still had to consider the house premium of 20%. That may be a requirement for cost basis accounting, but shouldn’t factor into private sales.

On 9/11/2022 at 6:02 AM, Rick2you2 said:

Don’t forget this is just a chat board intended to give lower priced pieces a time in the spotlight. Buying something for $2,500 isn’t particularly cheap, but seeing what is going on a level up from the bottom, particularly on artists, subjects, etc., can provide valuable insights as where you may want to allocate funds. After thinking $2k was a good target, I still had to consider the house premium of 20%. That may be a requirement for cost basis accounting, but shouldn’t factor into private sales.

I'm just being cantankerous.  Since I've been collecting long enough, this is a version of, "I remember when gum was a nickel!"

I really liked this but just no budget for it right now, going sub 5K (for a complete story) seems pretty decent.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/complete-story/tony-dezuniga-weird-mystery-tales-8-complete-7-page-story-final-take-original-art-dc-1/a/7279-95182.s

Edited by BVladimirHarkonnen

On 9/11/2022 at 1:41 PM, BVladimirHarkonnen said:

I really liked this but just no budget for it right now, going sub 5K (for a complete story) seems pretty decent.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/complete-story/tony-dezuniga-weird-mystery-tales-8-complete-7-page-story-final-take-original-art-dc-1/a/7279-95182.s

Part of me really wants the art from the DC horror/mystery stuff to go up esp. the Filipino artists.  Its wonderful art and I think under appreciated.  That being said, I still want to buy it too!

Preacher pages performed a little above my expectations, especially the 1st lot but that one had 3 main characters.  This one, #33 p12, either a flip flopping or, more likely, a dealer getting less at auction than their asking.

1AD3C81E-CDAB-4AA6-8266-8CF04D3AA5B4.jpeg

03665B68-06D6-4F44-91A7-8E01055BF034.jpeg