• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic wavy in cgc holder
2 2

4 posts in this topic

Hi Boardies,  

Got this JIM 93 book on last comiclink auction.  The book seems to wavy inside the holder.  I have heard some discussion on these holder.  The grade date is 5/24/2016.

Will this cause long term damage to the book if I dont get it reholder? I would prefer not to touch it if there is no harm to book.

Recommendations and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Warren

JIM 93.jpg

I don't think the current holder will contribute to it becoming wavier.  A little wavy, a lot wavy, pressing will probably fix it either way.  If you intend to keep it, I would just leave it as is.  A comic of this value, the less you mess with it, the better, I think.

If you want to put it in a new holder, and it's already wavy, I'm not sure that makes any sense.  Your first inclination would be to have it pressed flat when it's cracked out, but then maybe it doesn't qualify for a "no evaluation" reholder because you have altered it by having it pressed.  Then it's a regrade.  You will have pressing fees with a long wait, and grading fees, shipping fees both ways.  It's not a cheap comic, so these are not low tier fees.  More money, some risk it changes grade downward, but also could go up hm

Even shipping it in to have it reholdered has risk - damage during shipping, damage during cracking out or re-encapsulation, damage during return shipping.

On 9/11/2022 at 8:51 PM, Lightning55 said:

I don't think the current holder will contribute to it becoming wavier.  A little wavy, a lot wavy, pressing will probably fix it either way.  If you intend to keep it, I would just leave it as is.  A comic of this value, the less you mess with it, the better, I think.

If you want to put it in a new holder, and it's already wavy, I'm not sure that makes any sense.  Your first inclination would be to have it pressed flat when it's cracked out, but then maybe it doesn't qualify for a "no evaluation" reholder because you have altered it by having it pressed.  Then it's a regrade.  You will have pressing fees with a long wait, and grading fees, shipping fees both ways.  It's not a cheap comic, so these are not low tier fees.  More money, some risk it changes grade downward, but also could go up hm

Even shipping it in to have it reholdered has risk - damage during shipping, damage during cracking out or re-encapsulation, damage during return shipping.

Thanks all,  appreciate the advise.