• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman Spawn from Todd McFarlane and Greg Capullo 12/13/2022
1 1

104 posts in this topic

I don't normally buy comics new upon release. I saw this was coming out and I thought I might put an order in for a bunch of books online. I'm assuming this will be a big release with multiple cover variants.

Any suggestions where to buy new releases and pre-releases at a good price? Even more importantly will be condition.

Thanks 

1976627380_BatmanSpawn1.jpeg.ba818f163ebaacabe3577e90bfdb9c6e.jpeg

I have been using Dark Dominion comics for about a year now as well as TFAW.  I have since completely ditched TFAW since my last order had about 60 smashed comics because of there packaging I have begged them to fix for my medium to large orders, and how to do it for cheaper and less time-consuming than the way they keep packing.  Also, I keep getting books that look like shipping room reader copies that I so luckily have been blessed with many times at this point.

Dark Dominion only has the weekly FOC unlike other sites that have an initial pre-order a few months out and let you order up until FOC.  The discount on new books is only 20% versus 30% at TFAW, but the bags and boards are free.  They also use the silver/standard 7 1/8" which is my bage/board size of choice.  They are in VA and I'm in FL wherein I do not pay sales tax to them as apparently the nexus from FL to VA in that direction is not taxable.  That is a big factor as well but may/will change based upon your location.  That saves a good chunk of change on orders if there is no nexus between your state and theirs.

As for condition, thus far, I have received about 4-500 comics from them over the last year.  I can say with certainty that out of all those books maybe 10 have been 8.5-9.2.  All the rest without fail have been 9.4-9.8.  They double box all orders as well and the shipping is pretty reasonable; a 40-50 book order tends to be about $20 or so for me, and is usually shipped USPS Priority.

They also sent me a free 1:25 Catwoman #43 absolutely free in one of my orders!  I have gotten freebies in my day, but never a $100+ book like that.  I do not know if that was some secret raffle they did, or if they were just thanking me for spending some decent coin with them???

https://darkdominioncomics.com/

On 9/14/2022 at 10:14 AM, ak47po said:

https://mutantbeavercomics.com/products/pre-order-batman-spawn-1-from-todd-mcfarlane-greg-capullo-12-30-22

Pre-Order: BATMAN SPAWN #1 from Todd McFarlane & Greg Capullo! (48 pages!) 12/30/22

Available in COMPLETE SET, Single Issues, and CGC 9.8 Cover A

They have a set of all 8 covers.

$60 for 8 books? I would definitely hold off. With all the high ratio incentives people will be dumping these like King Spawn #1.

On 9/14/2022 at 10:57 AM, ygogolak said:

$60 for 8 books? I would definitely hold off. With all the high ratio incentives people will be dumping these like King Spawn #1.

Not saying it was a good deal just info.:baiting:$ 6.99 x 8 = $ 55.92 _ shipping.

Edited by ak47po

On 9/13/2022 at 5:44 PM, mytastebud said:

I don't normally buy comics new upon release. I saw this was coming out and I thought I might put an order in for a bunch of books online. I'm assuming this will be a big release with multiple cover variants.

Any suggestions where to buy new releases and pre-releases at a good price? Even more importantly will be condition.

Thanks 

1976627380_BatmanSpawn1.jpeg.ba818f163ebaacabe3577e90bfdb9c6e.jpeg

https://bigtimecollectibles.com/collections/batman-spawn

On 9/15/2022 at 9:34 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Remember those Venom 200 ratios that were going nuts? A 1:100 ratio just sold for $10 the other day on eBay... I'll definitely pick up copies of this Batman/Spawn run to read, but I'm not touching any spec.

If it's the one that was a Campbell at 1:50 or something, I too bought it when it came out. The 1:100 was what jock? As the artist? Those never took off to my knowledge other than pricing upon release it seemed, I bought that Campbell for like $50 :(

It was around the time of last ronin so I was in the mood to try, but that's the last cause I tried as well  lol

On 9/15/2022 at 9:40 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

If it's the one that was a Campbell at 1:50 or something, I too bought it when it came out. The 1:100 was what jock? As the artist? Those never took off to my knowledge other than pricing upon release it seemed, I bought that Campbell for like $50 :(

It was around the time of last ronin so I was in the mood to try, but that's the last cause I tried as well  lol

Ah man, sorry! The one I remember being talked about a lot was the Stegman, I feel like there was someone on the forums here who bought in heavy. It is a cool cover, but I think it was like $150 when it got released. One sold for $10.08 with 12 bids the other day, and there's a BIN for $19.99 right now. I bought 4-5 covers of the retail release of that book with art I liked; I'll probably keep 1-2 because they look cool, but the rest will just sit around until I eventually get rid of them for next to nothing.

1316251958_stegmanvenom.thumb.jpg.9467e2fcf6e2252754d09abb1a419fa8.jpg

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 9/15/2022 at 9:46 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Ah man, sorry! The one I remember being talked about a lot was the Stegman, I feel like there was someone on the forums here who bought in heavy. It is a cool cover, but I think it was like $150 when it got released. One sold for $10.08 with 12 bids the other day, and there's a BIN for $19.99 right now.

1316251958_stegmanvenom.thumb.jpg.9467e2fcf6e2252754d09abb1a419fa8.jpg

Ah no worries, same issue we're discussing is the main thing. Book went nowhere it would seem, but at $150 at release I don't feel as bad, except empathy in relating to the dismal results across all covers now apparently.

Really drags to be inundated with excitement about Last Ronin and to want to enjoy some of the excitement, just I got to remember it's not universal lol

But ya I wasn't flipping, I've kept all my last Ronin too, is just nice to see others spec turn out nice. I don't often go for anniversary issues or whatever #200 was, but I think if your into it, it needs to be a long hold regardless, imo. Still the road should be less traveled and less going off then rails! Crazy Train haha

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/13/2022 at 10:12 PM, gradejunky said:

I have been using Dark Dominion comics for about a year now as well as TFAW.  I have since completely ditched TFAW since my last order had about 60 smashed comics because of there packaging I have begged them to fix for my medium to large orders, and how to do it for cheaper and less time-consuming than the way they keep packing.  Also, I keep getting books that look like shipping room reader copies that I so luckily have been blessed with many times at this point.

Dark Dominion only has the weekly FOC unlike other sites that have an initial pre-order a few months out and let you order up until FOC.  The discount on new books is only 20% versus 30% at TFAW, but the bags and boards are free.  They also use the silver/standard 7 1/8" which is my bage/board size of choice.  They are in VA and I'm in FL wherein I do not pay sales tax to them as apparently the nexus from FL to VA in that direction is not taxable.  That is a big factor as well but may/will change based upon your location.  That saves a good chunk of change on orders if there is no nexus between your state and theirs.

As for condition, thus far, I have received about 4-500 comics from them over the last year.  I can say with certainty that out of all those books maybe 10 have been 8.5-9.2.  All the rest without fail have been 9.4-9.8.  They double box all orders as well and the shipping is pretty reasonable; a 40-50 book order tends to be about $20 or so for me, and is usually shipped USPS Priority.

They also sent me a free 1:25 Catwoman #43 absolutely free in one of my orders!  I have gotten freebies in my day, but never a $100+ book like that.  I do not know if that was some secret raffle they did, or if they were just thanking me for spending some decent coin with them???

https://darkdominioncomics.com/

In my experience, TFAW provides relatively horrendous (typically 8.0 to 9.2, with some 7.5) copies of Marvel and Dynamite. Both companies, especially Dynamite, are known for lousy cover stock as noted numerous times on these boards. Thankfully, I order/ed very little from either one initially to test the waters. Dynamite, for one, rarely "disappointed", with perhaps two comic books out of twenty having no damage (cbst, dents, creases). I have stopped purchasing Dynamite (and, I'll note, IDW) titles. I'll also note that Dynamite copies at my LCSs are also, generally, pure manure.

Thus far, about six months, TFAW has typically provided me with 9.8 copies of DC titles. However, if that changes, I'll drop TFAW like a bad habit.