• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman Spawn from Todd McFarlane and Greg Capullo 12/13/2022
1 1

104 posts in this topic

On 12/14/2022 at 10:42 PM, kimik said:

And, FWIW, anyone putting these in their $1 bins does not understand how to sell Spawn properly at shows or in their store................ 

This renewed interest in Spawn the past few years can go away just as quickly as it became a thing. 

On 12/15/2022 at 4:45 PM, fastballspecial said:

I sure hope so thats how I got my Tec 1000s. lol

It is a Detective Comics issue. Even us Batman fans turn our noses up at copper and modern Tecs........... lol 

It is crazy to see how hard Spawn back issues from the low print run era up until now are to find. Most stores do not order more than a couple of shelf copies, which means the ones that do more have no problem selling recent back issues for $10-$20 apiece, even on books just a month or two after release. It seems crazy, but it works.

On 12/15/2022 at 10:44 AM, darkstar said:

This renewed interest in Spawn the past few years can go away just as quickly as it became a thing. 

True, but that can be said about any comic. The last time I saw Spawn in a dollar bin was when a Calgary LCS was blowing out back stock at the Calgary Expo in 2013 and I snagged 10 - 20 copies apiece of all of the homage covers and issues just surrounding them. I took them back to my table, put them out at the market price, and had a very profitable day. lol 

On 12/15/2022 at 6:03 PM, kimik said:

It is a Detective Comics issue. Even us Batman fans turn our noses up at copper and modern Tecs........... lol 

It is crazy to see how hard Spawn back issues from the low print run era up until now are to find. Most stores do not order more than a couple of shelf copies, which means the ones that do more have no problem selling recent back issues for $10-$20 apiece, even on books just a month or two after release. It seems crazy, but it works.

Come you know past about issue 280 that isnt true and very true past 300. 

It is here. One LCS owner friend started at $10 for 2 month old #302+ back issues, and then bumped it to $20. He would sell out every week or two and then replace them. Almost all of the other stores in town would not order more than one or two shelf copies on top of file orders for any Image title because they do not sell.

Most stores here lowered their shelf copy numbers during Covid and have not upped them since then. My file LCS and one other are the only two in Edmonton that are still doing noticeable bulk shelf stock purchases on titles that they know they will be able to sell more copies of upon release and/or they feel have legs longer term. I expect that stores will cut back on shelf copies in 2023 due to lower discretionary dollars for consumers/collectors and the threat of a recession.

Edited by kimik

Local store owner around me says Spawn is his number one selling back issue since the 90s. He's been ordering 20+ of every issue ever since and has made a killing doing so (especially on the low print era). Maybe this book will drop, but the original Batman/Spawns don't sell for below cover price today, do they? Give it 20 years?

I saw several pages of the book and I have to say I am happy that Capullo took his time and released high quality work. 
Not sure how the read through will go but I’m so glad to see it’s on the one side spectrum of his art. 

On 9/13/2022 at 2:44 PM, mytastebud said:

I don't normally buy comics new upon release. I saw this was coming out and I thought I might put an order in for a bunch of books online. I'm assuming this will be a big release with multiple cover variants.

Any suggestions where to buy new releases and pre-releases at a good price? Even more importantly will be condition.

Thanks 

1976627380_BatmanSpawn1.jpeg.ba818f163ebaacabe3577e90bfdb9c6e.jpeg

$5 (shipped).  :baiting:

On 12/16/2022 at 4:21 AM, jazawlacki said:

Local store owner around me says Spawn is his number one selling back issue since the 90s. He's been ordering 20+ of every issue ever since and has made a killing doing so (especially on the low print era). Maybe this book will drop, but the original Batman/Spawns don't sell for below cover price today, do they? Give it 20 years?

They sure don’t sell for much. Especially, the War Devil one shot. I’m not sure I’d hold onto a book for 20 years just to sell it for $2 above cover. 

On 12/17/2022 at 6:38 PM, awakeintheashes said:

They sure don’t sell for much. Especially, the War Devil one shot. I’m not sure I’d hold onto a book for 20 years just to sell it for $2 above cover. 

Haha, no. Definitely not worth the hold. Some of the variants might be worth something, but who knows?

I've been busy the last little bit and haven't got a chance to hop into my LCS but where are all the signed copies?  I can't seem to find a single one in hand.  ???

All I see is stock photo

Edited by Erndog