• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crack a Hulk 340 newsstand CGC 9.4 for TM signing?

10 posts in this topic

On 9/16/2022 at 7:59 AM, Comic Curious said:

I have a 9.4 CGC graded Hulk 340 newsstand - graded in 2020. Worth cracking to get signed by TM? Not much on the census for signed newsstand copies. 

Where are “newsstand” copies on the census? I’ve never seen them separated.

Grab all the data available (not just this book, but other Mcfarlane books) that you can and work out your own algorithm and compare to your own financial goals/preferences.  See how much more newsstands typically get, and it what grades, and how much value is typically added per signature.  Obviously the closer the grade is to your book or the value of the data point is to your current value the more useful the data point can be, and you can weight it accordingly.  It can be as simple or complicated as you want it to be, or are capable of.

It may also depend on how confident you are in the current grade, or your opinion on pressing.

If all this sounds complicated, remember that you've just asked random internet strangers to perform this analysis for you for free, without providing any criteria that you use to judge.

Good luck.

Not worth it. You will get a lower grade, the signature will be poorly placed and illegible, label will be miss-marked so you’ll send it back for a reholder, during all this time the market will fall off a cliff for comic books and your book will be worth half what it was before you sent it in. Or none of this.

Unless you can easily replace the book (financially speaking), I would not crack it.  Too expensive to replace in that high grade.  

I have a 9.6 signed by Peter David I was considering for the Mcfarlane signing.  However, since I cannot easily replace a 9.6 (financially speaking) I’m not taking the risk of a grade drop.  

BTW, my book was a 9.8 Universal.  Came back a 9.6 after the Peter David signing.🫣

Thank you for all of this! Comixroc - did anything happen to the comic or just a different grader looking at the same comic and graded it differently? A bummer either way! I'm sending in a pretty pristine raw 316 and Spawn 1 so maybe I should just be happy with these and move along...

Edited by Comic Curious

Seems to me like a different grader had a different opinion as there was no new damage to the book.  As we all know, while there is a certain level of grading we can all agree upon, there is another level which is H I G H L Y subjective.