• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this the same book?
5 5

61 posts in this topic

So I’m new here and just got back my first submission. I took detailed photos like everyone recommended and 3 of my 4 books match up perfectly. But my UF4 looks like I got a different book back. It got a 9.6 and I was really thinking I could get a 9.8. I’m OK with the grade as long as it was for the book I sent in. I will try to put up some pictures of the book I sent in and the one I got back. I did have all the books pressed by CCS but I dont think a pressing will change things this much.

C5CF11BC-7DEF-4ED8-B6E0-262A4B2EDE30.jpeg

97675519-231F-4B9F-AC8E-4FE408292337.jpeg

And then there’s the appearance of these spine ticks that appeared on my returned copy. And I know that things can happen when you send in a book, but I really don’t think this is my book. What does everyone think? And I bet there’s absolutely nothing I can do about it?

F3FF2E4B-B787-4650-96D7-C41EB4936D08.jpeg

BC6ED96E-F81A-4A8A-85B7-D4EC37828962.jpeg

Thanks for your thoughts. I hate that what I thought could have been a 9.8 was switched and I was given a 9.6 back. Yes, its close, but not when you check the values of the two different grades. I have some more photos of other little differences in the books but want to keep this easy to read. Thanks.

The difference between a 9.8 and a 9.6  is over $1000. Is it possible they have someone who switched out my nicer book (possible) 9.8 and switched it to a 9.6 thinking I wouldn’t notice or would be happy with something close? Like I said, the other 3 books I got back are absolutely mine. I compared pictures and am satisfied that they're mine. It just happens to be the most valuable book in my collection that gets changed with an inferior one. How convenient. I would think that my books would have all stayed together the whole time. How do I get my book back at the proper grade? This is so frustrating. I have been reading the boards and there are stories like this everywhere but I didnt think it would happen to me on my first submission. Any suggestions or help from a moderator?

Two totally different books.  

How does this even happen?  It's not like they separate everybody's submissions so that multiple peoples' UF4s all end up in the same pile awaiting to be graded, then subsequently distributed to the proper customers.  

Right?  

Yet this isn't the first example of book-swapping I've seen  :(  

On 9/16/2022 at 9:35 PM, Lightning55 said:

Could have been swapped out by accident at any point along the way,

I like to think the best of people, but this book was swapped on purpose. Unless there were multiple copies in the same submission and the OP is fooling us, but how do similar copies cross paths unless on purpose? as stated above they don't sort them according to issue so why would they even come into contact with other books much less the exact same issue.

On 9/16/2022 at 9:46 PM, Bird said:
  On 9/16/2022 at 9:35 PM, Lightning55 said:

Could have been swapped out by accident at any point along the way,

On 9/16/2022 at 9:46 PM, Bird said:

I like to think the best of people, but this book was swapped on purpose. Unless there were multiple copies in the same submission and the OP is fooling us, but how do similar copies cross paths unless on purpose? as stated above they don't sort them according to issue so why would they even come into contact with other books much less the exact same issue.

I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, mostly.  There was a thread a while back where 2 friends each sent in Hulk 181 (It think it was, maybe X-Men GS1) through their LCS, 2 separate submissions shipped in together.  They came back like 7.0 and 9.0, but the poorer quality book was in the 9.0 case.  They had easily identifiable marks, so the 2 friends definitely knew which book was theirs, and even the grader notes supported that they had switched cases.  So weird stuff does happen.  I don't remember how that was handled, though.

I have a Secret Wars 8 that I sent in for a custom label. It was separated from the other 4. And I don’t believe it was accidentally switched either. I think someone working there has sticky fingers and didn’t think this switch would be caught. Is there a number I can call to talk to someone or will CGC Mike have someone contact me? I saw in some other posts that he has been helpful to many people. But overall, these threads do not speak highly of CGC customer service. So frustrated about this. My book was so much nicer than the one returned which was a 9.6 so I’m pretty confident I had a 9.8 stolen from me. 

• Administrator
On 9/17/2022 at 9:03 AM, Mgc015 said:

I can call to talk to someone or will CGC Mike have someone contact me?

I have alerted the team about this thread.  I hope  to have answers to people's concerns next week.