• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this the same book?
5 5

61 posts in this topic

my thoughts were that the pressing could have rolled the spine a little causing the thor gap and maybe they damaged with the spine creases...but that last clue, the seam along the back cover disappearing..yeah, seems like a different book..and then someone mentioned the bottom staple placement ..I hope they make it right

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 9/17/2022 at 9:03 AM, Mgc015 said:

I have a Secret Wars 8 that I sent in for a custom label. It was separated from the other 4. And I don’t believe it was accidentally switched either. I think someone working there has sticky fingers and didn’t think this switch would be caught. Is there a number I can call to talk to someone or will CGC Mike have someone contact me? I saw in some other posts that he has been helpful to many people. But overall, these threads do not speak highly of CGC customer service. So frustrated about this. My book was so much nicer than the one returned which was a 9.6 so I’m pretty confident I had a 9.8 stolen from me. 

The only reason to switch the books purposely is to upgrade, so yes if it is NOT the same book a fair assumption is that the original book was nicer. Is there a wolf in the henhouse at CGC?

Definitely not the same book. You got rooked. I have no doubt (and no evidence) that CGC employees swap books. Absolutely no way to prove when it happens. It's just one reason why I only buy graded copies. I wouldn't be comfortable sending in a book worth thousands to a company with no way to track it. CGC has integrity problems. Acetategate is case in point.

There's no question they are different books.  But I don't think there is much reason to believe that the original copy would have graded at 9.8.  I think that intentional theft is very doubtful.  I think it's more likely it was accidentally switched at pressing or at encapsulation.  A far more speculative (and nefarious) theory, your copy was damaged and got replaced with a copy taken from someone who had submitted multiple copies.     

Haven’t heard anything, but its only Monday. CGC Mike said he would pass it on to someone. I’m hoping they are seriously looking into this and trying to make it right. I would hope to hear from someone either tomorrow or Wednesday just to let me know they are aware of the problem. Trying to be patient and let them do what they need to do. 

• Administrator
On 9/19/2022 at 6:27 PM, Mgc015 said:

Haven’t heard anything, but its only Monday. CGC Mike said he would pass it on to someone. I’m hoping they are seriously looking into this and trying to make it right. I would hope to hear from someone either tomorrow or Wednesday just to let me know they are aware of the problem. Trying to be patient and let them do what they need to do. 

We are looking into this.  It may take a day or two before we have an answer.

On 9/17/2022 at 4:23 AM, Mgc015 said:

The difference between a 9.8 and a 9.6  is over $1000. Is it possible they have someone who switched out my nicer book (possible) 9.8 and switched it to a 9.6 thinking I wouldn’t notice or would be happy with something close? Like I said, the other 3 books I got back are absolutely mine. I compared pictures and am satisfied that they're mine. It just happens to be the most valuable book in my collection that gets changed with an inferior one. How convenient. I would think that my books would have all stayed together the whole time. How do I get my book back at the proper grade? This is so frustrating. I have been reading the boards and there are stories like this everywhere but I didnt think it would happen to me on my first submission. Any suggestions or help from a moderator?
Books are different for everyone, there is not even a doubt. I would like one for myself too. But I can't afford to spend time on it right now. Now I have found where you can pay for coursework for college, I use https://writix.com/pay-for-coursework for this. I used to buy a comic and a book every month. There were tough times, but with age, other problems appeared.

The situation is certainly difficult.

Edited by AnnSteverson

On 9/19/2022 at 8:38 PM, CGC Mike said:

He has been wronged but cgc will get back to him at their leisure. He should have been contacted immediately and re-assured it would be investigated. Yeah, better to leave him hanging since CGC remains a geographical anomaly...two weeks from everywhere. He can just check into the message board every few days until someone can explain to him how he was stolen from, let's inconvenience the guy as much as possible. :headbang:

On 9/19/2022 at 7:38 PM, CGC Mike said:

Wow…great to see that CGC is actually paying attention. I have a different issue with the same book. I might make a post about it and see if it’s worth resending.

On 9/21/2022 at 12:02 PM, Bird said:

He has been wronged but cgc will get back to him at their leisure. He should have been contacted immediately and re-assured it would be investigated. Yeah, better to leave him hanging since CGC remains a geographical anomaly...two weeks from everywhere. He can just check into the message board every few days until someone can explain to him how he was stolen from, let's inconvenience the guy as much as possible. :headbang:

Agreed. He was told Friday night that the team would be notified. Then, only after stating that he hadn't been contacted yet, he was told, on Monday night, that they are looking into it. This isn't really good customer relations, and not a good impression for somebody's first submission.

It's clear to everyone that it is not the same book. So there's 6 possibilities...

1) It was accidentally switched by CCS.

2) Theft by a CSS employee.

3) It was accidentally switched by CGC.

4) Theft by a CGC employee.

5) It was intentionally switched by CCS.

6) It was intentionally switched by CGC.

Let's take possibilities 1 & 3 ... Are you kidding me? A multiple book submission (where all the books should stay together) and *1* of them gets switched? How does this happen? Seriously, how does this happen? If I was the OP, and CGC told me that it was accidentally switched somewhere, I would definitely ask for a step-by-step on how it happened.

Now let's look at possibilities 2 & 4 ... I don't see this as likely. In order for this to have happened, it would mean an employee would have had an issue in his locker (or someplace), ready to go. It would also indicate that the employee knew where he could do it without being seen. This would mean that there are 'blind spots' within the facility. For a place that handles thousand/million dollar books, this would be unacceptable. This would also mean that any answer he's given about a theft would be a guess, as there would be no video evidence.

Now let's look at possibilities 5 & 6 ... No way!  Although it would not surprise me that much (do to their questionable past), is it likely that one of these companies did this without informing the owner of the book? And from what we've been told in this thread, and the lack of acknowledgement by CGC in this thread, it *appears* they were unaware that this happened.

Regardless of what reason you're given OP, it would be a crime if you didn't ask *how* that reason was come to. Other than video evidence, I'm not sure how they can be certain what happened, but I'm sure we'd all like to know exactly what reason you're given and how that reason was determined.

@Mgc015 Anything yet?

Edited by Gaard

I have not gotten any private messages or phone calls. The only communication that I’ve had is what you see from CGC Mike. Like I said before, it seems as if he is someone the people on these boards go to with a problem. That gives me hope. I think any proper investigation would require a few days so I am trying to be patient. It seems CGC in general could do better with their communication. I had expected a private call or email at this point. I am generally positive and don’t want to complain about this as part of an online discussion. This is my personal property that has gone missing and complaining about it on this thread won’t help me get my book back any sooner. But a call would have been nice.

• Administrator
On 9/21/2022 at 4:55 PM, Mgc015 said:

I have not gotten any private messages or phone calls. The only communication that I’ve had is what you see from CGC Mike. Like I said before, it seems as if he is someone the people on these boards go to with a problem. That gives me hope. I think any proper investigation would require a few days so I am trying to be patient. It seems CGC in general could do better with their communication. I had expected a private call or email at this point. I am generally positive and don’t want to complain about this as part of an online discussion. This is my personal property that has gone missing and complaining about it on this thread won’t help me get my book back any sooner. But a call would have been nice.

I am going to do my best to get answers for you.  Contacting the team again to check on the progress.  I understand this is frustrating.  Please be patient a while longer.  

On 9/21/2022 at 5:42 PM, CGC Mike said:

I am going to do my best to get answers for you.  Contacting the team again to check on the progress.  I understand this is frustrating.  Please be patient a while longer.  

Just to clarify, Are you part of the decision process or simply the relayer of messages?