• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HERITAGE November comic and art auction
4 4

367 posts in this topic

On 10/2/2022 at 4:17 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

$1M+

Not if the sky is fallinglol... actually I agree with you that it could approach those numbers. This piece is properly recession proof. I don't anticipate this lot number suffering despite current economic downturns. 

I was a little unprepared for this weekend's International Auction to have a 25% Buyer's Premium; I thought 20% was the norm for HA. Is 25% a new norm or just a special tax on internationally sourced art, to pay for VAT or something?

On 10/2/2022 at 8:43 PM, RBerman said:

I was a little unprepared for this weekend's International Auction to have a 25% Buyer's Premium; I thought 20% was the norm for HA. Is 25% a new norm or just a special tax on internationally sourced art, to pay for VAT or something?

International. It hit me too on something I got in another International auction.

On 10/3/2022 at 8:43 AM, RBerman said:

Heritage's comics auctions are actually the exception to the rule.  Most of their other auctions that I follow (art, books, entertainment) have a 25% BP.

This auction continues to impress, with so many more recent additions:

• Tim Sale Daredevil Yellow #2 cover and complete? interiors
  • Watterson Calvin & Hobbes Sunday strip!  I'm very curious to see how this stacks up against an A-level Peanuts Sunday
  • Romita Sr Thor 170 cover
  • A half-dozen Sim Cerebus covers
  • Byrne/Sienk, etc FF Roast #1 Double page spread...great artwork by some of the best artists of the Bronze/Copper Age
  • Biz Lobo's Back #1 cover
  • McFarlane Amazing Heroes 179 cover.  
  • Davis Excalibur #5 cover
  • Glenn Fabry Preacher covers...never thought I'd see one publicly for sale, let alone two!
  • James Jean Fables covers
  • Miller Ronin page
  • Cardy Flash covers
  • And even more Jim Davis Garfield strips!  Get yours now before Heritage runs out (in 5 years) :roflmao:

On 10/3/2022 at 1:57 AM, drdonaldblake1 said:

🤯

Unbelievable but believable if you know what I mean.

What's that hulk 180 last page first wolvie worth now?

My friend I'm not trying to be a wise guy here. The answer is whatever someone is willing to pay for it if and when it ever resurfaces for sale. The collector who obtained it is a very smart guy. He didn't get trapped by "what is FMV?" like so many collectors who hyperventilate. He went out and did what he had to do and paid an an unheard of price to get Wolverine's first appearance. The buyer is a trend setter not follower. He's given me advice a few times also which I greatly appreciate. Won for $657,250 we know some of the cabal members and dealers have chimed in that the cover to IH 181 could likely go for  $5,000,000 or more. So if Tom ever gets tired of IH 180 First SNIKT lolpage I'd imagine he'd expect to get something within that range. I know I would. $2,000,000?

Now, what really is interesting to me is what would the two Wolverine Concept Drawings  go for if they come up for auction. If anyone wants to see them go to CAF and search Vince Oliva. A few of his pieces are in this current HA auction. Drawn by John Romita Sr. these are indeed the very first drawings ever of Wolverine. I posted Vince's descriptions but I think it's better if you go to his CAF site on your own to see the drawings.

WOLVERINE DRAWINGS BY JOHN ROMITA, 1974. BLUE PENCIL ON THIN VELUM. SIGNED AND NOTED BY ROMITA. THE BACK SIDE OF SHEET #2. Yes, this is the FIRST drawing(s) ever of Wolverine (Also see the accompanied drawings). After creating the images with blue pencil on the front of the velum sheet, Romita traced the Wolverine figure on the back side, making a third Wolverine drawing. The detail on the original "Front Side" was a bit rough, as Romita was fleshing out the idea. Upon turning the page over, he traced a clean line copy (in reverse) with the same blue pencil. The image is much clearer.

WOLVERINE DRAWINGS BY JOHN ROMITA, 1974. BLUE PENCIL ON THIN VELUM. SIGNED AND NOTED BY ROMITA. Yes, this is the FIRST drawing(s) ever of Wolverine (Also see the accompanied drawing). As Art Director for Marvel Comics, it was Romita's assignment to create the visual appearance of the new character (villain) that was written into the --script to battle the Hulk in issue #180 - 181. Called the "Wolverine", Romita envisioned him as small in stature, but ferocious by nature. The pair of velum sheets depict 2 head shots (front and side view), and two full figure shots (action and standing poses). I bought these directly from Romita many years ago. He told me that the head shots were the first drawings, followed by the full figure drawings. He made the notation on the head shots as he signed both sheets. I remember hesitating on making the purchase, as the drawings were no where near the quality of the Spider-Man pages that I was buying from him at the time. Of course, I'm glad that I did decide to buy them.

What are these valued at? You could put a number on them but honestly they have to come to auction to find the real value. The last page of Hulk 180 is the first published appearance of the Wolverine. These two concept drawings preceded that published page. I love seeing Wolverine come to life under the hands of Romita. Go look at them for yourself.

Edited by grapeape

On 10/3/2022 at 1:15 PM, grapeape said:

My friend I'm not trying to be a wise guy here. The answer is whatever someone is willing to pay for it if and when it ever resurfaces for sale. The collector who obtained it is a very smart guy. He didn't get trapped by "what is FMV?" like so many collectors who hyperventilate. He went out and did what he had to do and paid an an unheard of price to get Wolverine's first appearance. The buyer is a trend setter not follower. He's given me advice a few times also which I greatly appreciate. Won for $657,250 we know some of the cabal members and dealers have chimed in that the cover to IH 181 could likely go for  $5,000,000 or more. So if Tom ever gets tired of IH 180 First SNIKT lolpage I'd imagine he'd expect to get something within that range. I know I would.

Now, what really is interesting to me is what would the two Wolverine Concept Drawings  go for if they come up for auction. If anyone wants to see them go to CAF and search Vince Oliva. A few of his pieces are in this current HA auction. Drawn by John Romita Sr. these are indeed the very first drawings ever of Wolverine. I posted Vince's descriptions but I think it's better if you go to his CAF site on your own to see the drawings.

WOLVERINE DRAWINGS BY JOHN ROMITA, 1974. BLUE PENCIL ON THIN VELUM. SIGNED AND NOTED BY ROMITA. THE BACK SIDE OF SHEET #2. Yes, this is the FIRST drawing(s) ever of Wolverine (Also see the accompanied drawings). After creating the images with blue pencil on the front of the velum sheet, Romita traced the Wolverine figure on the back side, making a third Wolverine drawing. The detail on the original "Front Side" was a bit rough, as Romita was fleshing out the idea. Upon turning the page over, he traced a clean line copy (in reverse) with the same blue pencil. The image is much clearer.

WOLVERINE DRAWINGS BY JOHN ROMITA, 1974. BLUE PENCIL ON THIN VELUM. SIGNED AND NOTED BY ROMITA. Yes, this is the FIRST drawing(s) ever of Wolverine (Also see the accompanied drawing). As Art Director for Marvel Comics, it was Romita's assignment to create the visual appearance of the new character (villain) that was written into the --script to battle the Hulk in issue #180 - 181. Called the "Wolverine", Romita envisioned him as small in stature, but ferocious by nature. The pair of velum sheets depict 2 head shots (front and side view), and two full figure shots (action and standing poses). I bought these directly from Romita many years ago. He told me that the head shots were the first drawings, followed by the full figure drawings. He made the notation on the head shots as he signed both sheets. I remember hesitating on making the purchase, as the drawings were no where near the quality of the Spider-Man pages that I was buying from him at the time. Of course, I'm glad that I did decide to buy them.

What are these valued at? You could put a number on them but honestly they have to come to auction to find the real value. The last page of Hulk 180 is the first published appearance of the Wolverine. These two concept drawings preceded that published page. I love seeing Wolverine come to life under the hands of Romita. Go look at them for yourself.

Grape, just a slight correction to that statement you made in bold, red font (mine)...on a piece such as this, the answer is whatever the seller is willing to take to part with it.  There would have to be a guaranteed minimum price agreement in effect in order for a piece of this caliber to be listed now.

On 10/3/2022 at 10:21 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Grape, just a slight correction to that statement you made in bold, red font (mine)...on a piece such as this, the answer is whatever the seller is willing to take to part with it.  There would have to be a guaranteed minimum price agreement in effect in order for a piece of this caliber to be listed now.

That's actually right on target. Your wording is more accurate for what would have to take place That's what I was wondering. Would HA set a guaranteed minimum at $2M for Wolverine's first appearance?

For what its worth, I'm guessing they would not guarantee 2m for the first appearance panel page.    1.25?  Yes.     1.5m?  Maybe.      $2m - my guess is no.    I feel like 2m might be a decent guess as to value at auction, but they aren't going to guarantee for 100% of expected auction value, which is why I think they hedge down from that.

That being said, I could be way off and maybe there are people out there willing to pay way more than 2m.   I just don't have any reason based on what I see publicly to think that the air wouldn't be thin at 2m.  

Edited by Bronty

On 10/3/2022 at 4:59 AM, drdonaldblake1 said:

Hulk 340 cover owner Brian woo is not related to the comic collector magic woo who got a " from the collection of magic woo" label on his CBCS books is he?

I haven't heard of any connection between the Woos.

In any case, the cover was sold to The Vacuum (a.k.a. CAF member J L) many years ago at this point. 

On 10/3/2022 at 3:51 PM, drdonaldblake1 said:

Why is he called the Vacuum??

Because he was hoovering up all the A+ art in sight!!

Two other collectors in the same week described his buying to me in vacuum-like terms sometime back around the early 2010s. And, so, the legend of The Vacuum was born! :idea: 

Edited by delekkerste