• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HERITAGE November comic and art auction
4 4

367 posts in this topic

On 10/11/2022 at 11:01 AM, Heidjer Staecker said:

With that many pages of certain items, it has to have a downward price push.

One would think so.

But nowadays getting a bargain means buying something at last year's price. Either fortunately or unfortunately, I don't see any real weakness that would lead me to expect any more of a discount than that.

So I have a collecting buddy that only looks at the printed catalog when it arrives. He doesn't check online. This is insanity to me. I don't even open my printed catalogs anymore. I just pulp the entire thing. And that's because I am a complete junkie and follow these upcoming auction updates every day. Its my downtime activity I guess. But, and this is the point of my post, is there any way to see just the newly listed items or to sort by most recently added? Because yesterday I looked through all 784 items and now there are 813 and my brain is telling me I need to see what was added. Even seeing the names of things I am interested in, no pics, is a dopamine shot. With animation cels if they tell you the time of the movie in the description before the picture posts (often) I go find a digital copy to see what scene they are talking about. And this for listings that are sometimes months out. Rinse, wash, repeat.

Edited by cstojano

On 10/11/2022 at 2:14 PM, cstojano said:

So I have a collecting buddy that only looks at the printed catalog when it arrives. He doesn't check online. This is insanity to me. I don't even open my printed catalogs anymore. I just pulp the entire thing. And that's because I am a complete junkie and follow these upcoming auction updates every day. Its my downtime activity I guess. But, and this is the point of my post, is there any way to see just the newly listed items or to sort by most recently added? Because yesterday I looked through all 784 items and now there are 813 and my brain is telling me I need to see what was added. Even seeing the names of things I am interested in, no pics, is a dopamine shot. With animation cels if they tell you the time of the movie in the description before the picture posts (often) I go find a digital copy to see what scene they are talking about. And this for listings that are sometimes months out. Rinse, wash, repeat.

I love the catalogs.   Certain pieces present differently in print.

I also love the online catalog too mind you.

On 10/12/2022 at 1:46 PM, batman_fan said:

This page is going to be a tough one for me.  I have the page 1 from the issue so this page would look great next to it.  I suspect at todays prices I will have to just be happy with the first appearance of the hulk (pre-laser hair removal surgery)

(1st one is mine, 2nd is the one coming up on HA)

hulk.jpeg

Screen Shot 2022-10-11 at 8.39.03 PM.png

🤯

When and how did you acquire that incredible piece?!

Image is far better than part two imo.

Congrats!👍

On 10/15/2022 at 7:47 AM, Lee B. said:

Hi Bill!  Sometimes a person will consign a whole lot of art to Heritage at once, and then see most of it in a single auction, and subsequently ask Heritage to spread the consignment out more among multiple auctions.  That may be what happened here.

Yes I noticed the fall in auction lots too.

Maybe if they don't want to take so many losses in one hit what with the falling prices in OA🙂

On 10/14/2022 at 2:00 PM, drdonaldblake1 said:

Maybe if they don't want to take so many losses in one hit what with the falling prices in OA🙂

I know in one case there was a double listing removed - Gimenez Metabarons vol 1, pg 13

On 10/14/2022 at 5:00 PM, drdonaldblake1 said:

“Falling prices in OA”? Huh?

I don’t think prices are falling at all and I’m not sure where you get that that’s happening.

I know there’s a lot of wishful thinking, but I’ve seen no evidence at all of falling prices.

Care to explain?

On 10/15/2022 at 2:43 AM, Michael Browning said:

I don’t think prices are falling at all and I’m not sure where you get that that’s happening.

I know there’s a lot of wishful thinking, but I’ve seen no evidence at all of falling prices.

Care to explain?

Michael I think he's just hoping for better buying opportunities. I'm with you that the OA market is still robust. Lee B. also mentioned about the 20 lots that were listed and disappeared after listing might be a collector wanting to spread out his consignments to maximize earning potential. They weren't necessarily withdrawn for fear of taking losses in a depressed value market. It's a peculiar spot to be in right? On the one hand we want the pieces in our collection to continue trending upwards in value. On the other we hope for signs of weakness in the market that may generate good buying opportunities. Having our cake and eating it too. Not sure we can have both but it's the dream.

Edited by grapeape

On 10/15/2022 at 5:43 AM, Michael Browning said:

Care to explain?

I had bookmarked this Byrne page in last Wednesday's Heritage auction but then ignored it, thinking it would be out of reach... was very surprised to see it end under 6K, considering that great middle panel and Spidey in full costume in the expanded lower panel. 

To me, small cracks like this in pricing are worth noting. Along those lines, I also find it interesting that Glen has been unable to move those three ASM 63 Romita Sr pages, despite what I consider to be reasonable pricing. Buyer fatigue from too much buying earlier this year? Or something else? 🤔 

image.thumb.png.e4a7525d8111834422f8f93f61c3619e.png

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 10/15/2022 at 10:23 AM, KirbyCollector said:

I had bookmarked this Byrne page in last Wednesday's Heritage auction but then ignored it, thinking it would be out of reach... was very surprised to see it end under 6K, considering that great middle panel and Spidey in full costume in the expanded lower panel. 

To me, small cracks like this in pricing are worth noting. Along those lines, I also find it interesting that Glen has been unable to move those three ASM 63 Romita Sr pages, despite what I consider to be reasonable pricing. Buyer fatigue from too much buying earlier this year? Or something else? 🤔 

I think that a lot of people are saving up for the big November auction because there’s so much great art in it. Even the lower-tier stuff is great. I do think there are too many auctions right now. And, while I don’t think art prices are necessarily falling, I do think that there’s something to the idea of auction fatigue, too.

On 10/15/2022 at 10:23 AM, KirbyCollector said:

1. This book is being sold off this year one page at a time through various auctions so you’ve got more supply of pages from this issue now vs the past 20 years

2. I’m not sure how much Byrne did on this issue because so many pages from 189/190 seem to indicate Mooney contribution > Byrne

3. there’s just one panel with Spidey

given the above, what were you expecting it to sell for?

On 10/15/2022 at 11:06 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

1. This book is being sold off this year one page at a time through various auctions so you’ve got more supply of pages from this issue now vs the past 20 years

2. I’m not sure how much Byrne did on this issue because so many pages from 189/190 seem to indicate Mooney contribution > Byrne

3. there’s just one panel with Spidey

given the above, what were you expecting it to sell for?

Agreed. It’s more Mooney than Byrne. Also, I thought the final price was a solid result, especially since Mooney’s inks overpowered whatever of Byrne’s pencils there was under them and there was only one panel with Spider-Man.