• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HERITAGE November comic and art auction
4 4

367 posts in this topic

On 10/21/2022 at 10:43 AM, Bronty said:

I understand the focus on price because we all have to fit into a certain budget, but if you’re worried about returns I think it’s more instructive to think about what you’re buying and the attributes and demographics behind it versus worrying about the price today.   Obviously price today has its place in the considerations but what are you buying?   Five years ago we should all have been buying 90s image guys art if returns are what it’s about.    I hate that era so I couldn’t touch that art with a ten foot pole, but that was the play.    The demographics were right and the base of people that liked those books were there.    And now we've got six figure interior pages from some of those guys FFS.

Ah, who am I kidding?    I acquired several of those 90s "imagey" covers the other day.

f8VKivqv_1810221609201gpadd.jpeg

On 10/21/2022 at 3:11 PM, alxjhnsn said:

I won something! That seldom happens and I won it at a price that I think is fair. One of the benefits of liking things few others do. :)

Congrats on your win!

Assuming you picked up the Shelly Meyer piece?

otherwise, this is quite an expensive auction, with very healthy results

On 10/21/2022 at 3:11 PM, alxjhnsn said:

I won something! That seldom happens and I won it at a price that I think is fair. One of the benefits of liking things few others do. :)

so?  What did you win?

On 10/21/2022 at 4:13 PM, comix4fun said:

Congrats on your new Spawn cover!!!! It's better than McFarlane...it's McFarlane ADJACENT
2067110253_ScreenShot2022-10-21at3_13_12PM.thumb.png.669df6878ad6ed69e9b1c3be70a917ff.png

Ken Steacy is a great artist.   Nice to see him get a little time in the sun.

I'm not sure where the hobby falls on this, but personally I'd far prefer the Zimmelman paintings for the punisher LS to any zeck line work they might have been based on, and I'm a big Zeck fan.     

Edited by Bronty

On 10/21/2022 at 1:16 PM, Bronty said:

84k for Watchmen panel page, barf

I was aghast watching the bidding on that. It was unreal. I have nothing against Watchmen, but 84k for a 6-panel interior page? The subsequent pages went for much less. DC got a lot of action in the first part of the auction (I didn't watch the whole thing).

I'm scratching my head on the Kevin Maguire Justice League page finishes, in terms of the relative price of the cover and interior pages.

The were basically the same! I get that the interior pagers had better content and characters, but did not expect the cover to be priced the same as an interior page.

Malvin

On 10/22/2022 at 2:10 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Harlan Heritage Auction live going on now!

Good lord, Watchmen #1, page #23 for $87k

So much for the rule that comics and OA must follow the crashing sports card market down. 

On 10/22/2022 at 7:03 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

For all the folks thinking/hoping/praying for cracks in the OA market…keep looking!

results for this auction were strong all-around

:butbutbutemoji: the backward cap wearing sports card collectors have ordained that the prices of collectibles shall go down!  Who are we to go against the judgment of such intelligent people?

On 10/21/2022 at 7:43 AM, Bronty said:

I understand the focus on price because we all have to fit into a certain budget, but if you’re worried about returns I think it’s more instructive to think about what you’re buying and the attributes and demographics behind it versus worrying about the price today.   Obviously price today has its place in the considerations but what are you buying?   Five years ago we should all have been buying 90s image guys art if returns are what it’s about.    I hate that era so I couldn’t touch that art with a ten foot pole, but that was the play.    The demographics were right and the base of people that liked those books were there.    And now we've got six figure interior pages from some of those guys FFS.

I agree it's important to think about what you are buying. The fixation on "price today" is a real concern of many collectors. My purchase power is limited. Do I love what I'm buying? will always be my top motivator. Still, a reality exists as a collector that we may constantly think about getting our money back or making money as quickly as possible if love don't pay the bills.

It's gross I know but it might be wise for collectors to think a bit like a dealer. If you're always only buying what you love but find yourself constantly re-selling those pieces it might be true that you haven't discovered a way to shield your collection from the harsh economic realities that could care less about your joy. There are many things I h8 (90's Image) or at least don't feel attracted to. Years of experience have opened my eyes. I now look for opportunities to buy art that I have no plans to keep. My reasons of course are to unload that art at peak times and reinvest in what I love.

Dealers (hold my nose) have been doing this forever. Cast a wide net and buy, hold, sell, cherry pick pieces for personal collection-black hole, repeat. I don't have the bank roll but I do what I can. It would be nice to benefit from having bought some of those Image pieces I despised. Hid them in a safe place and never told my friends about them. Then unloading them anonymously through Heritage.

I feel dirty now. Going to take a shower now.

On 10/21/2022 at 3:21 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I was aghast watching the bidding on that. It was unreal. I have nothing against Watchmen, but 84k for a 6-panel interior page? The subsequent pages went for much less. DC got a lot of action in the first part of the auction (I didn't watch the whole thing).

Watchmen pages have reached a different tier level in collecting. Used to be you would have to pony up maybe four figures for a Watchmen. Many people put off buying them. I'll wait for the "right page" if I'm going to spend that kind of money they'd say. Then one day a dealer listed one page around $40k. He's crazy we screamed. Get the torches and pitchforks screamed others. As the mob began to gather some auction prices for Watchmen came in with new public record highs. Every auction pages selling higher and higher.

I've heard "you paid how much?' for an interior page so many times but I'm numb to it because it's become a reality. Watchmen, Dark Knight, Killing Joke, that era of iconic work is all in the stratosphere tier now. It's look but don't touch for most of us.

On 10/21/2022 at 10:48 PM, malvin said:

I'm scratching my head on the Kevin Maguire Justice League page finishes, in terms of the relative price of the cover and interior pages.

The were basically the same! I get that the interior pagers had better content and characters, but did not expect the cover to be priced the same as an interior page.

Malvin

Malvin, a few notes on the Maguire results:

1. The page from issue 5 was the strongest of the Maguire offerings in the auction.  Up until this issue, Guy Gardener was a loud mouthed pest at the best of times, often challenging Batman’s leadership.  Well, you just knew that Batman wasn’t gonna put up with Guy’s nonsense much longer so he baited Guy into a confrontation on this page, which immediately precedes Batman knocking Guy stone cold to the ground with one punch!  The ‘One Punch’ became a running gag for several issues and is highly memorable even today.

2.  These Maguire covers rarely turn up for sale in public, and this one plays on a woman’s indecision/changing her mind during moving day, as the JLI moved headquarters in this issue.  Far from the best cover, but you may have to wait a decade for another opportunity at a cover

3. page 7 - I have no explanation for this very strong result.  I was thinking maybe 8K at the top end.