• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HERITAGE November comic and art auction
4 4

367 posts in this topic

On 10/22/2022 at 6:15 AM, grapeape said:

It would be nice to benefit from having bought some of those Image pieces I despised. Hid them in a safe place and never told my friends about them. Then unloading them anonymously through Heritage.

I feel dirty now. Going to take a shower now.

From what I am seeing lately, that day may be coming. 90’s Marvel continues to be hot (especially X-Men) and it seems that Image might be filling the price gap that Marvel pages have left behind. I have very few Image pages because I keep getting trounced on auction by freakin’ multiples of what I thought the page may be worth. And there’s not a ton of 90’s Image out there - I’m glad you’ve mentioned you picked some up long ago - I always wondered if they are just sitting in someone’s flat file waiting for the right time to sell.

On 10/21/2022 at 4:13 PM, Bronty said:

Ken Steacy is a great artist.   Nice to see him get a little time in the sun.

I'm not sure where the hobby falls on this, but personally I'd far prefer the Zimmelman paintings for the punisher LS to any zeck line work they might have been based on, and I'm a big Zeck fan.     

Do you think the bidders at the end were looking at the credits ?

On 10/22/2022 at 6:44 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Malvin, a few notes on the Maguire results:

1. The page from issue 5 was the strongest of the Maguire offerings in the auction.  Up until this issue, Guy Gardener was a loud mouthed pest at the best of times, often challenging Batman’s leadership.  Well, you just knew that Batman wasn’t gonna put up with Guy’s nonsense much longer so he baited Guy into a confrontation on this page, which immediately precedes Batman knocking Guy stone cold to the ground with one punch!  The ‘One Punch’ became a running gag for several issues and is highly memorable even today.

2.  These Maguire covers rarely turn up for sale in public, and this one plays on a woman’s indecision/changing her mind during moving day, as the JLI moved headquarters in this issue.  Far from the best cover, but you may have to wait a decade for another opportunity at a cover

3. page 7 - I have no explanation for this very strong result.  I was thinking maybe 8K at the top end.

Hi Yoram,

Thank you for the detailed explanation.  I get the One Punch and that this page was two pages before it (and I am lucky enough to own the one page after it).

The pages were high, but everything is high so it was more of a pleasant surprise.  I'm more surprised that:

1. Page 7 was valued almost the same as the cover and issue 5 page 5

2. The cover was not valued more than the 2 panel pages (and I get than one was an A+ panel page, and that the cover didn't have Batman like the 2 panels).

Then again, many prices confuse most of us these days :P

Malvin

Yeah, the Giffen/Maguire JLA/JLI stuff was great, and while prices for pages from the original series are very strong, likewise their subsequent series of Formerly Known as the Justice League, and I Can’t Believe it’s Not the Justice League.  Prices are climbing quickly.

full disclosure: I do not own any pages

On 10/22/2022 at 10:34 AM, comix4fun said:

Do you think the bidders at the end were looking at the credits ?

I'd say you were looking at the credits when you called it "McFarlane adjacent", no?  :baiting:  Sometimes cool shyt is just cool shyt no matter who did the artwork.   In fact, that's the case most of the time IMO.

We all have our favorite artists but there's also mountains of stuff where it doesn't much matter who it was.    I know you know all that, but I still think its fun to see someone like Ken get a nice auction result whatever the circumstances.    He's talented in his own right; its not an accident McFarlane chose him for the task when he could have had anyone.

I wonder if the Steacy Spawn 1 cover painting will hit the market after this result.

Edited by Bronty

On 10/24/2022 at 2:45 PM, vodou said:

Low multiple for these last six years.

I think that's generally true, but things do change at that scale.      How did say a 190k comic book fare over the past six years.   I guess I'll look it up!

Edited by Bronty

Journey Into Mystery #83 (Marvel, 1962) CGC NM 9.4 Off-white to white pages.... 

Auction 7270 | Lot: 91066 | Apr 7, 2022
Sold For:  $432,000.00 

Now, the comparisons are not perfect because the time periods are off a year and the pages here are OWW not white.
But overall?   Looks pretty comparable.    I think I'm comparing a comic book that's of a similar level of quality to what the ST1 cover would be for OA.    Really really good but not truly elite.
Edited by Bronty

How about bats 1?   Not quite double.    Doing okay, but not exactly on fire over that time period.

Batman #1 (DC, 1940) CGC VG- 3.5 Off-white to white pages.... 

Auction 7279 | Lot: 91035 | Sep 8, 2022
Sold For:  $264,000.00 

Batman #1 (DC, 1940) CGC VG- 3.5 Off-white pages.... 
Auction 7158 | Lot: 91008 | Feb 23, 2017
Sold For:  $143,400.00 
Edited by Bronty

Superman 1 about the same return as Bats 1 perhaps - if you adjust for the time period not being quite comparable and the grades being slightly different.

Superman #1 (DC, 1939) CGC FR/GD 1.5 Cream to off-white pages.... 

Auction 7274 | Lot: 91026 | Jun 16, 2022
Sold For:  $192,000.00 

Superman #1 (DC, 1939) CGC GD 2.0 Cream to off-white pages.... 
Auction 7187 | Lot: 91084 | May 10, 2018
Sold For:  $167,300.00 
Superman #1 (DC, 1939) CGC GD- 1.8 Off-white pages.... 
Auction 7192 | Lot: 91076 | Nov 15, 2018
Sold For:  $132,000.00 
Edited by Bronty

If you adjust for grade, it appears that once the value was just a bit shy of doubling.

Superman #1 (DC, 1939) CGC VG+ 4.5 Cream to off-white pages.... 

Auction 7141 | Lot: 91196 | Nov 17, 2016
Sold For:  $358,500.00 

Superman #1 (DC, 1939) CGC VG/FN 5.0 Cream to off-white pages.... 
Auction 40200 | Lot: 83130 | May 12, 2022
Sold For:  $720,000.00 
Edited by Bronty