• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restapling Job? & Effect on Label/Grade?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Hello All,
I’m new to the grading part of comic book collecting and I’ve been trying to learn as much as I can before diving in. I’ve been planning to submit an Amazing Spider-Man comic for pressing and grading. I was comfortable about the quality of the book, but now I’m concerned about restapling. 
(Please refer to the pictures below: 1. Top Cover    2. Top Interior 3. Bottom Cover 4. Bottom Interior)
My initial goal was to get a decent grade but now I’m trying to avoid a Restored or even a Qualified label.
In your vastly superior wisdom and experience, could you please provide guidance on my following questions:
1. Per the pictures below, is there evidence of restapling?
2. If so, could I still receive a Universal grade or would I need to settle for a Restored or Qualified grade?
3. If this is a restapling job and I can receive a Universal grade, how many points would my grade be knocked down based on what you see in the pictures alone?
I appreciate any help that you can provide.

Cover Top.JPG

Interior Top.JPG

Cover Bottom.JPG

Interior Bottom.JPG

Those with more experience will no doubt weigh in, but that doesn't look like re-stapling to me.  I have plenty of books that show similar stresses/tears around the staples and I know they are original staples.  If it is different staples you would probably get a note for restoration if you submitted it.

1. Per the pictures below, is there evidence of restapling?
2. If so, could I still receive a Universal grade or would I need to settle for a Restored or Qualified grade?
3. If this is a restapling job and I can receive a Universal grade, how many points would my grade be knocked down based on what you see in the pictures alone?

1. Evidence? No.
  2. If they were replaced with era-appropriate staples, it'd be Conserved. Otherwise, Restored.
  3. As mentioned, Universal would not be possible if the staples were replaced.

The stress lines at the staples appear 'normal' to me.