• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is happening to Super Mario Valiant comics? They are going up in price rather quickly....
1 1

19 posts in this topic

I've been trying to find a few locally in Canada. However, it seems super hard. None of the dealers seem to have any available. A 9.6 just sold for ~1,000 CAD. 

Understand there is a movie coming out, anyone know the approximate print run on these? Crazy how Valiant comics are popular again. 

Screen Shot 2022-09-18 at 11.54.44 PM.png

According to comments made by senior Valiant employees at the time, these were printed in large quantities but they primarily went to toy stores (like Toys 'R Us) and were not very popular with comic shops. The collectors for these books today seem to be "more accustomed" to paying (collectible) video game prices, so they don't appear to have any problem with $50 to $500 prices for their raw Nintendo comics. High grade books are somewhat uncommon, but it still feels like someone, somewhere, might have larger untouched quantities on these books that could sit at the top of the CGC Census if they were submitted.  I don't know who that would be (maybe Chuck at Mile High), but it "feels" like it's still possible.

I’m not sure how “quickly” this is happening… In my market report in the latest Overstreet (released in July, but written last December), I specifically called out video game comics as rising steadily in price. In my mind, titles like these Valiant books, DC titles like Uncharted, Dark Horse books like The Last of Us, and Marvel books like Blip have all been showing solid, continuing growth. Most ‘70s to ‘90s books with a video game connection are of increasing interest to buyers in a growing component of the back issue market.

I’ve also been buying up these Valiant books whenever I see them, but that’s an increasingly rare occurrence.

On 9/20/2022 at 1:49 PM, valiantman said:

According to comments made by senior Valiant employees at the time, these were printed in large quantities but they primarily went to toy stores (like Toys 'R Us) and were not very popular with comic shops. The collectors for these books today seem to be "more accustomed" to paying (collectible) video game prices, so they don't appear to have any problem with $50 to $500 prices for their raw Nintendo comics. High grade books are somewhat uncommon, but it still feels like someone, somewhere, might have larger untouched quantities on these books that could sit at the top of the CGC Census if they were submitted.  I don't know who that would be (maybe Chuck at Mile High), but it "feels" like it's still possible.

On 9/21/2022 at 7:50 AM, Brock said:

I’m not sure how “quickly” this is happening… In my market report in the latest Overstreet (released in July, but written last December), I specifically called out video game comics as rising steadily in price. In my mind, titles like these Valiant books, DC titles like Uncharted, Dark Horse books like The Last of Us, and Marvel books like Blip have all been showing solid, continuing growth. Most ‘70s to ‘90s books with a video game connection are of increasing interest to buyers in a growing component of the back issue market.

I’ve also been buying up these Valiant books whenever I see them, but that’s an increasingly rare occurrence.

well dang :( now you've got me, I've long been into Nintendo Power, but I recently saw an issue of Captain N!! But it had tape or sticker pulls and was kind of beat up? It was at a Half Price Books in the regular issue bin, would have probably been $1or$2 but in that condition?

On 9/21/2022 at 8:45 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

well dang :( now you've got me, I've long been into Nintendo Power, but I recently saw an issue of Captain N!! But it had tape or sticker pulls and was kind of beat up? It was at a Half Price Books in the regular issue bin, would have probably been $1or$2 but in that condition?

It was #3 but for $2 err uhh I'm still not sure why I bought it  :shy:

IMG_20220921_112423744_MP.jpg

On 9/21/2022 at 11:49 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

It was #3 but for $2 err uhh I'm still not sure why I bought it  :shy:

IMG_20220921_112423744_MP.jpg

I believe this book is credited as the first Joe Quesada published art.  He drew one of the one-page stories (not the whole book).

quesada_first_art_captain_n_3.jpg.b784d002f196809f199fbba8b5b339f7.jpg

Edited by valiantman

On 9/21/2022 at 1:26 PM, valiantman said:

I believe this book is credited as the first Joe Quesada published art.  He drew one of the one-page stories (not the whole book).

If I'm honest, I spotted when it 1st arrived at the used bookstore, but when I saw the condition I put it back. I did pick it up to flip through to read, but meh it's not enough, or I did notice a lot of white space; although, that page you posted is pretty :x 

On 9/21/2022 at 1:38 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:
On 9/21/2022 at 1:26 PM, valiantman said:

Expand  

If I'm honest, I spotted when it 1st arrived at the used bookstore, but when I saw the condition I put it back. I did pick it up to flip through to read, but meh it's not enough, or I did notice a lot of white space; although, that page you posted is pretty :x 

That single page of art by Joe Quesada from 1990 looks a whole lot like a Ready Player One scenario... twenty years earlier than Ready Player One.

On 9/18/2022 at 10:57 PM, Snowdon said:

I've been trying to find a few locally in Canada. However, it seems super hard. None of the dealers seem to have any available. A 9.6 just sold for ~1,000 CAD. 

Understand there is a movie coming out, anyone know the approximate print run on these? Crazy how Valiant comics are popular again. 

Screen Shot 2022-09-18 at 11.54.44 PM.png

The most exciting book (in my opinion) in this screenshot is the top row, third book.  That price was too low, and the Buy It Now probably didn't last minutes. (I didn't see it, so I didn't win it.) lol

This book was only available in a Random House audio cassette tape packaging, and is probably the most ridiculous of the Valiant Nintendo books to add to a collection in nice shape since most copies have crayon/ink on the puzzles/games/coloring pages inside, or scissor-cut shapes ("trading cards") out of the back of the cover.  In 25 years, I've only heard of about three unopened packages with the book, cassette tape, packaging, etc., and the spine could easily be bent while the book was still in the package.

It has both the Valiant logo (top left) and Random House logo (top right).

1881593808_ovsmbcass1.jpg.7fbed54a5117b5a5c46920555402b177.jpg

Back cover:

1047569356_cards1.jpg.597004c7f9356d27fbd5b9b5556baa98.jpg

A grand total of two copies CGC graded, highest grade is 8.5. http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/isolateid/161901

Edited by valiantman

On 9/21/2022 at 4:49 AM, valiantman said:

I assume that would also help Malibu's Mortal Kombat comics (komics)? I'd never thought of it that way. 

Back around 1994-1995, the Valiant Nintendo comics could be found in bins and large stacks at Dollar Tree stores all over the East Coast. There were stacks of those and the WWF larger-than-digest-sized comics. I had a few of them, but didn't keep any because, at that time, I thought they were junk. Nowadays, these are some of the hottest comics at shows and I never see them in shops - unless I find beaten copies in dollar boxes of Gold Keys, Archies and Charltons and a few of the Nintendo Valiants sometimes are wedged between a Jughead and Scary Tales.

On 9/22/2022 at 8:15 PM, Michael Browning said:

... I had a few of them, but didn't keep any because, at that time, I thought they were junk. Nowadays, these are some of the hottest comics at shows and I never see them in shops - unless I find beaten copies ...

It's funny how often collectors inadvertently cause items to be valuable in the future simply by agreeing amongst themselves that items aren't worth saving. 

It reminds me of other markets where the advice (for the past 100+ years) has always been, "when everyone zigs, you should zag". (:

Edited by valiantman

On 9/28/2022 at 12:17 PM, valiantman said:

It's funny how often collectors inadvertently cause items to be valuable in the future simply by agreeing amongst themselves that items aren't worth saving. 

It reminds me of other markets where the advice (for the past 100+ years) has always been, "when everyone zigs, you should zag". (:

Of all the things I've searched for for my personal collection, some of the hardest to find in high grade have been otherwise common issues that either are now or once were deemed dollar-bin fodder. For exactly this reason. I've had large retailers ship me unbagged, unboarded comics that were ostensibly "NM" or "NM+" and tell me that I shouldn't have cared about the condition anyway because they aren't worth anything.

Books don't go from ultra-discount drek to hot market movers very often, but you'd think we'd have seen it enough by now to stop treating disfavored titles like origami paper at the least.

On 9/21/2022 at 2:57 PM, valiantman said:

The most exciting book (in my opinion) in this screenshot is the top row, third book.  That price was too low, and the Buy It Now probably didn't last minutes. (I didn't see it, so I didn't win it.) lol

This book was only available in a Random House audio cassette tape packaging, and is probably the most ridiculous of the Valiant Nintendo books to add to a collection in nice shape since most copies have crayon/ink on the puzzles/games/coloring pages inside, or scissor-cut shapes ("trading cards") out of the back of the cover.  In 25 years, I've only heard of about three unopened packages with the book, cassette tape, packaging, etc., and the spine could easily be bent while the book was still in the package.

It has both the Valiant logo (top left) and Random House logo (top right).

1881593808_ovsmbcass1.jpg.7fbed54a5117b5a5c46920555402b177.jpg

Back cover:

1047569356_cards1.jpg.597004c7f9356d27fbd5b9b5556baa98.jpg

A grand total of two copies CGC graded, highest grade is 8.5. http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/isolateid/161901

I don't actually think I knew about this one. Add another piece of obscurity to go on my ever-widening watch list!

I have a few of these. I could dig them out and post pics if people are curious.

I've debated whether there would actually be enough interest in them to CGC. The grades are not terrible but there are definitely some spine ticks etc. I have Quesada's signed. I was just young enough when these were coming out that I was the target market and my local comic shop had them.

On 9/30/2022 at 11:19 PM, Pixx_L said:

I have a few of these. I could dig them out and post pics if people are curious.

I've debated whether there would actually be enough interest in them to CGC. The grades are not terrible but there are definitely some spine ticks etc. I have Quesada's signed. I was just young enough when these were coming out that I was the target market and my local comic shop had them.

If it helps, I just sold a Super Mario Bros 4 CGC 7.5 for about $80. Not a first issue, not super-high grade. I got dinged on a couple of Nintendo books for rusty staples, so be sure to take a look at that. If it's 8.0 or better, I'd say submit it.