• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Timer - Any tips before sending comics in for in house signing & pressing
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hey all, been lurking for years and finally going to send in some comics. I have a few questions and would appreciate some of your wisdom, experience & lessons learned.

They’ll be going in for the McFarlane signing and I selected to have my Amazing Spider-Man #300 pressed. 

Comic Prep & Shipping:

- I plan on taking high res scans of F&R covers, and photos of inside pages, before packing them up. Is there anything else I should be doing for my files/documentation?

- I purchased the small box kit & window bags, which I received very quickly (thanks cgc). The instructions mention the “in house private signing card”. All I have is a packing slip to print. Where should I be looking for the in house private signing card?

- Any other tips for packing & shipping? I’ll be sending from NY to FL. Not in love with Fedex and will probably end up using USPS with upgraded services….I just don't love the P.O. Box scenario, versus UPS onsite delivery. Any feedback?

- Comics need to be received in early November. Any benefit to sending them out immediately, vs waiting till the end of October?

After shipping to CGC:

- I am guessing the book will wait in queue to be signed, then sent off for pressing, then grading/encapsulation….does that sound right? I am expecting a 9 month turnaround from what I’ve read here (though press release states 8 week turnaround with pressing). Would you recommend anything to improve my process? Available upgrades, etc?

- If there is anything impactful that you think I may have missed, I would greatly appreciate any tips you all can offer. Thanks.

Edited by AntonV

On 9/19/2022 at 2:00 PM, Hottohman said:

I hope you know you're not required to purchase these.

• Put ALL ungraded books in window bags or they will not be accepted. You can purchase window bags HERE.

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/10592/Todd-McFarlane-Signing/

the official page says the window bags are required. but the shipping box those, that you just pack yourself however you want it. 

what is a signing card? i'm on the above link and cant find where it mentions that? thanks

On 9/19/2022 at 10:27 AM, AntonV said:

- I purchased the small box kit & window bags, which I received very quickly (thanks cgc). The instructions mention the “in house private signing card”. All I have is a packing slip to print. Where should I be looking for the in house private signing card?

At the bottom of the packing slip (might be the second page?) are some cut-out boxes with the submission info that you cut out for each comic you submit for the signing. Those are the signing cards that you put in the bag with the comic (on the back between the board and bag) faced outward so they can see it.

On 9/19/2022 at 11:27 AM, AntonV said:

Hey all, been lurking for years and finally going to send in some comics. I have a few questions and would appreciate some of your wisdom, experience & lessons learned.

They’ll be going in for the McFarlane signing and I selected to have my Amazing Spider-Man #300 pressed. 

Comic Prep & Shipping:

- I plan on taking high res scans of F&R covers, and photos of inside pages, before packing them up. Is there anything else I should be doing for my files/documentation?

- Any other tips for packing & shipping? I’ll be sending from NY to FL. Not in love with Fedex and will probably end up using USPS with upgraded services….I just don't love the P.O. Box scenario, versus UPS onsite delivery. Any feedback?

- Comics need to be received in early November. Any benefit to sending them out immediately, vs waiting till the end of October?

After shipping to CGC:

- I am guessing the book will wait in queue to be signed, then sent off for pressing, then grading/encapsulation….does that sound right? I am expecting a 9 month turnaround from what I’ve read here (though press release states 8 week turnaround with pressing). Would you recommend anything to improve my process? Available upgrades, etc?

- If there is anything impactful that you think I may have missed, I would greatly appreciate any tips you all can offer. Thanks.

Keep your expectations low.

Many people here have expressed interest in only buying already graded book nowadays, because the cost and associated issues with getting books graded correctly and without damage are, unfortunately, at an all time high.

Insure heavy, never know what could happen en route, and return. Sent my #300 right into hurricane Ian for signing. It made it...I think...no update in submissions yet.:wishluck:

...and be patient, your waiting game could go 6 months-1 year.

Edited by Trifisherjoe

My advice would be... DON'T.  Unless you don't mind having your book damaged by CGC's graders as they paw through the book.  They just detached the cover from the bottom staple on my otherwise 9.2 or 9.4 copy of Fantastic Four 73.