• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scanning/Editing Advice for Stitching Images
3 3

7 posts in this topic

On 9/19/2022 at 6:12 PM, barneythecantankerous said:

FWIW I'm using GIMP for the editing 

I don't use GIMP but maybe it has a similar merging feature.  A quick Web search would find out.

Edited by thethedew

On 9/19/2022 at 11:28 PM, thethedew said:

I always use the Photoshop 'Photomerge' option.

See if your version of Photoshop has this:

photomerge.jpg

...after which you should be prompted to navigate to the directory where your individual raw scans reside.  Select the ones to be stitched, and see if the automated process works to your satisfaction.

It still won't be perfect, I stress.  If you insist on zooming in closely and taking a look, you'll probably find minor imperfections and faintly blurry blended lines here and there.  But it's better than doing it manually. 

In general, I've found it's sufficient for graphics for the WWWeb, and for 'personal' printing.  I'd guess professional printers or publishers may well turn their noses up at the results.  YMMV.

Hope this helps!

Andrew

this! its super easy~

On 9/20/2022 at 12:28 AM, thethedew said:

I always use the Photoshop 'Photomerge' option.

See if your version of Photoshop has this:

photomerge.jpg

...after which you should be prompted to navigate to the directory where your individual raw scans reside.  Select the ones to be stitched, and see if the automated process works to your satisfaction.

It still won't be perfect, I stress.  If you insist on zooming in closely and taking a look, you'll probably find minor imperfections and faintly blurry blended lines here and there.  But it's better than doing it manually. 

In general, I've found it's sufficient for graphics for the WWWeb, and for 'personal' printing.  I'd guess professional printers or publishers may well turn their noses up at the results.  YMMV.

Hope this helps!

Andrew

thanks! I'll look into it

Edited by timguerrero

On 9/19/2022 at 10:02 PM, timguerrero said:

I use photoshop but when I stitch the images together the lines don't align properly if I zoom in on the image and I can just tell where I pasted the images together. It is really frustrating! Any help would be highly appreciated.

I don't use the Photomerge function in Photoshop, but use both Auto-Align-Layers and Auto-Blend-Layers (under Edit in the top menu) frequently.  If you are scanning a large Sunday page and have six pieces to join, those two functions make it so much easier.  Plus, the Auto-Blend function removes the discoloration where pieces are joined.