• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this AF15 worth a regrade?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I have a restored AF15 signature series that is graded a 4.0, but it looks much better than any other 4.0s I have.  It has some creases on the cover and a couple of chips on the back cover, but otherwise looks 8+.  Would there be any benefit to a press and fixing the chips on the back, then regrading?  I get that restored are less desirable, but that ship has sailed and I might as well get the best grading.

2F678E10-A485-495A-B60F-9D0F96396CCD.jpeg

33B57EC3-5740-4FD1-AB95-CABBF7D0BF98.jpeg

On 9/19/2022 at 9:13 PM, Funnybooks said:

if you break this copy out of the slab, you may lose the yellow label. How important is that to you?

I would take it directly to CGC so they could do it, with the hope of keeping the yellow label also.  I live locally.

Can't you do a C-P-R through CGC's pressing service that will maintain the signature authenticity?  Other than the money spent for this, I don't see how you could go wrong.  Certainly seems almost impossible that it would result in a lower grade and seems very likely it would get a higher grade.  My one concern would be, who restores a book that extensively without pressing?  Seems that would have happened as part of the restoration process.  

I mean its a big book, I guess I would talk it over with CCS experts, see what they can do, how much it will cost, what the risks are, where there might be expected improvements, etc.  I feel like there's some sort of screening or consultation service, I'd check the website or contact CGC customer service directly.

I doubt just pressing does anything to improve the grade. If you enlarge you can see the creases and there just wasn't as much done to them as could be to make them disappear.  In a few places the creases still break color. And then you have the small chips out of the back cover. 

To have a shot a better grade, you will probably need to pay for some additional (and better quality) restoration. Replace the chips out of the back cover and do a better job with color touch of the creases on the front cover.