• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FF1 new series Miller cover FS
2 2

81 posts in this topic

On 9/21/2022 at 11:09 AM, aardvark88 said:

Only because Rudy Nebres' inks made every artist much better.

I've never understood why the heavyhanded inkers like Nebres, Colletta, Janson, etc. didn't just become pencilers and ink their own work.  They completely drowned out the pencils of everyone they worked on anyways.

I guess you could say the same thing about John Severin, but since he tended to ink mediocre pencilers like Ayers and Trimpe, in his case he was doing them a service.

On 9/20/2022 at 11:16 PM, tth2 said:

I've never understood why the heavyhanded inkers like Nebres, Colletta, Janson, etc. didn't just become pencilers and ink their own work.  They completely drowned out the pencils of everyone they worked on anyways.

I guess you could say the same thing about John Severin, but since he tended to ink mediocre pencilers like Ayers and Trimpe, in his case he was doing them a service.

Colletta pencilled for Atlas in the 50’s and he was actually decent, especially on the Romance titles.  I guess he shifted to inking because he was able to make more money at it.

Janson took over pencilling from Miller on DD for a little while, and he also pencilled the 1st story arc of the Punisher’s 1st monthly series

On 9/20/2022 at 9:14 PM, Dr. Balls said:

It looks a little like Marv, but with a serious case of dry skin. And it's underwhelming.

I don't think its that bad AT ALL.    Yes the expression is a little off but its otherwise nice enough.     Let's not forget the guy started in comics 45 frickin years ago.    I'm not sure what people expect.    Compare Kirby in 1940 with Kirby in 1985 and what do you get?    People age.

Let's just enjoy the fact he's putting out new material at all. 

ff2022001_miller.jpg

Edited by Bronty

On 9/21/2022 at 10:48 AM, tth2 said:

Don't pencillers get paid more than inkers?

Yes, but he found a method whereby he was able to ink much faster than he could pencil and made more money with, ahem, volume inking.

if you do a search on Vinny’s career, you will be able to find numerous articles and excerpts about how he did this.

On 9/21/2022 at 8:51 AM, Bronty said:

I don't think its that bad AT ALL.    Yes the expression is a little off but its otherwise nice enough.     Let's not forget the guy started in comics 45 frickin years ago.    I'm not sure what people expect.    Compare Kirby in 1940 with Kirby in 1985 and what do you get?    

Let's just enjoy the fact he's putting out new material at all. 

ff2022001_miller.jpg

Very true - it is cool he's doing new stuff. His style is distinct, and I like it. I think in the end when I look at this piece, I expected a little more light/dark balance and differentiation in line quality. The depth is not there for me on the Thing cover, there's no shadow work that is the cornerstone of his older style. I'm not saying it should look like Sin City-era work, but there is definitely a difference in his line thicknesses and shadows.

city-frank-miller-review-tomo-integral-1

the-rain-on-my-chest-is-a-baptism-150126

Edited by Dr. Balls