• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FF1 new series Miller cover FS
2 2

81 posts in this topic

I was wondering what was going on there ; I presume they are supposed to be black trunks he's wearing, and that he's drawn in some blue lines because it would otherwise be black trunks on a black background.

I'm not going to argue he's doing his best work these days but he's one of greats and whatever he does from this day forward or heck, from 2000 forward, is really just a cherry on top of the sundae for fans to enjoy.

Edited by Bronty

On 9/21/2022 at 11:11 AM, Bronty said:

I was wondering what was going on there ; I presume they are supposed to be black trunks he's wearing, and that he's drawn in some blue lines because it would otherwise be black trunks on a black background.

I'm not going to argue he's doing his best work these days but he's one of greats and whatever he does from this day forward or heck, from 2000 forward, is really just a cherry on top of the sundae for fans to enjoy.

I can honestly say that this is one of the very few examples I’ve seen where the colourized version is better than the Black and white original.

On 9/21/2022 at 9:51 AM, Bronty said:

I don't think its that bad AT ALL.    Yes the expression is a little off but its otherwise nice enough.     Let's not forget the guy started in comics 45 frickin years ago.    I'm not sure what people expect.    Compare Kirby in 1940 with Kirby in 1985 and what do you get?    People age.

Let's just enjoy the fact he's putting out new material at all. 

I appreciate the bright side-ness. I do. 
I think the majority of the backlash comes from the sales pitch, the price tag, the pumpery going on behind the piece. If someone tried selling an '85 Kirby (in '85) for '65 Kirby money I dare say you'd see the same reaction.

Without all that we don't see the volume of critical reaction, I'd wager. Most people would just stroll by it like most of the items we've seen on sketch covers or commissions in the last few years. 

I just can't rush to this particular piece's defense, especially with the manner it's being priced and pumped for sale. It's a little too quixotic for me. 
1550451914_MillerisaLEGEND.thumb.jpg.92ddad9bd246ba7480460f0e373153bd.jpg

Edited by comix4fun

On 9/21/2022 at 2:14 PM, comix4fun said:

I appreciate the bright side-ness. I do. 
I think the majority of the backlash comes from the sales pitch, the price tag, the pumpery going on behind the piece. If someone tried selling an '85 Kirby (in '85) for '65 Kirby money I dare say you'd see the same reaction.

The price is indefensible, for sure.  

I can't speak to people talking down the art if they are really talking about the price, but they are separate issues.

The art is fine, for where he is in his career.   The price is way off and should be 1/3 of this IMO.

Edited by Bronty

On 9/22/2022 at 1:00 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Very true - it is cool he's doing new stuff. His style is distinct, and I like it. I think in the end when I look at this piece, I expected a little more light/dark balance and differentiation in line quality. The depth is not there for me on the Thing cover, there's no shadow work that is the cornerstone of his older style. I'm not saying it should look like Sin City-era work, but there is definitely a difference in his line thicknesses and shadows.

city-frank-miller-review-tomo-integral-1

the-rain-on-my-chest-is-a-baptism-150126

Now that batman image is more like the Miller I like🙂

On 9/22/2022 at 10:52 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

This image is much worse than the Liefeld Cap that has been vilified for years!

No, its not. 

Not even close.

That Liefeld might be the absolute GOAT when it comes to worst drawings by a professional comic artist.

You might not care for the Thing image personally, and that's fine as it does have its flaws, but there's also a lot of things right with it.    There is nothing right about the Liefeld, unless you're talking about how right it would feel to watch it burn :)

It goes without saying that I'm not an artist, let alone on Frank's level, but IMO all he had to do was tone down the crazy eyes, and remove some of the rock splintering at the forehead.      Removing the splintering in that spot would take away the overly prominent brow and toning down the eyes would allow him to retain a coiled and dynamic look without going into unhinged territory.   The mouth could be a little less open as well.   These are small adjustments but I think they'd have a big impact.

Edited by Bronty

On 9/21/2022 at 7:51 AM, Bronty said:

I don't think its that bad AT ALL.    Yes the expression is a little off but its otherwise nice enough.     Let's not forget the guy started in comics 45 frickin years ago.    I'm not sure what people expect.    Compare Kirby in 1940 with Kirby in 1985 and what do you get?    People age.

Let's just enjoy the fact he's putting out new material at all. 

ff2022001_miller.jpg

It does make him look a bit more revolting, unlike Kirby's Thing (my favorite rendition with Brynes early FF art) from arounf the mid 40's to late 80s issues, in which I thought the Thing was compelling to look at. So maybe this is closer to Lee's original intent.