How did these grade a 7?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

On 9/20/2022 at 11:07 AM, Chasing Hits TCG said:

Can anyone see why these would have graded a 7?

To get a 7, I would think there would need to be some damage to the card. Any body see something that I'm missing? 

I wish there was a way to get more insight in why a card graded a certain grade. 

CGC4113282-002_REV@500x776.jpg

CGC4113282-002_OBV@500x776.jpg

CGC4113282-015_REV@500x776.jpg

CGC4113282-015_OBV@500x776.jpg

Getting Subgrades is the best you will get as far as more info

Edited by SnorlaxCollective
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/20/2022 at 2:07 PM, Chasing Hits TCG said:

Can anyone see why these would have graded a 7?

To get a 7, I would think there would need to be some damage to the card. Any body see something that I'm missing? 

I wish there was a way to get more insight in why a card graded a certain grade. 

CGC4113282-002_REV@500x776.jpg

CGC4113282-002_OBV@500x776.jpg

CGC4113282-015_REV@500x776.jpg

CGC4113282-015_OBV@500x776.jpg

Sadly you will have to crack them. No way to really tell by the pics. If I had to guess there is some sort of indent but thats just speculation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/20/2022 at 10:12 PM, mz1995g said:

Sadly you will have to crack them. No way to really tell by the pics. If I had to guess there is some sort of indent but thats just speculation.

This got a 6.5. This card was loose in a tote in the garage for probably a good 10+ years. I'm curious how this got a 6.5 but a pack fresh Lucario and pack fresh Lugia got a 7. 

CGC4116308-014_REV@500x776.jpg

CGC4116308-014_OBV@500x776.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/22/2022 at 9:47 PM, Haljordanfan said:

Ooofff…. That’s rough on the 7.0

i have about 2000 Marvel Cards I was looking to do, but not if that’s a 7. Are you finding their grading as stringent as the competition? 

I grade a lot of cards with CGC and 99% of the time I'm happy and understand why a card graded the way it did. On a rare occasion, like the ones above, I don't understand. Yes they are stringent but I like that. I believe they give a very true grade that the card deserve to have. They don't hand out 10's like candy on Halloween. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/23/2022 at 4:54 PM, Chasing Hits TCG said:

I grade a lot of cards with CGC and 99% of the time I'm happy and understand why a card graded the way it did. On a rare occasion, like the ones above, I don't understand. Yes they are stringent but I like that. I believe they give a very true grade that the card deserve to have. They don't hand out 10's like candy on Halloween. 

I’m not seeing 10s like crazy, nor do I hope to, but I don’t see that many from PSA either. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/23/2022 at 5:05 PM, Haljordanfan said:

I’m not seeing 10s like crazy, nor do I hope to, but I don’t see that many from PSA either. 

Ive gotten 10s on alot of CGC cards but sometimes its just a flip of a coin if a card gets a 10 or not. Ive noticed that centering that is close to 50/50 gets 10s, while at PSA its closer to 60-65/35-40. Outside of centering being perfect and lack of whitening, its beyond me to what really qualifies as a 10 since Ive seen 9.5s with no issues and wonder why some arent 10s.

In the case of the OP, Im not sure why their cards only get 7s. If I had to guess, there could be some tiny dent or bent since I cracked a few CGC 7's and 7.5's today that looked fine but had some minor issues that were questionable and could be higher graded elsewhere. Id say normally CGC is fine but Ive definitely had some cards come back that are indeed under graded, but sometimes Ive had it cards over graded, so it goes both ways.

CGC is better than PSA most of the time, especially with turn around time and pricing, but I guess all grading companies just make mistakes time to time and its just the nature of the beast.

Edited by mz1995g
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your cards will 100% have a very small dent on the surface somewhere. It may be hard to find, but it'll be there.

PSA is the same, a mint card with a miniscule dent in the surface somewhere will get you a 6 by default. 

Your surface subgrade for these was probably a 6, but other higher subgrades will have dragged it up to a 7 (if you could see the subgrades that's what you'd find anyways) .

Hope that helps, low grades on minty looking cards can definitely be confusing sometimes.

Edited by Fiacs0.o
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1