• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Bring on the Deadpool and Rob McIlhenny" - Welcome to Wrexham!
1 1

88 posts in this topic

On 9/28/2022 at 6:21 PM, Dr Zen said:

I'm not a big soccer fan and before this show I had never heard of Wrexham but I absolutely love this show! 

No one had heard of Wrexham in a long time. The ultimate fall from glory. But talk about the right team to buy!  Great looking stadium, oldest international stadium still in use, incredibly passionate fans, one of the top ten oldest clubs (arguably 4th oldest but definitely no worse than tenth oldest), 45 minutes from Liverpool and Manchester (easy access for soccer tourists), and dirt cheap to buy!  If they can win promotion into the football league, these guys are going to be on a trajectory that could eventually get them into the top tier. Right now the doc revenue makes this a financially winning venture. Down the line it could turn out they paid a couple million for a team worth over a billion.  Watching this journey is going to be fun.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 9/29/2022 at 12:35 PM, Cozmo-One said:

Great show! Look forward to it every week now. 

Episode 10 about soccer hooligans was shocking and sad. Not so much for the images of violence, but for that portrait of the hooligan and his girlfriend who needs an intervention.  

Unfrigging believable!  The "Worst Team in the League" episode and the following "Stockport" episode may feature the two most exciting and fantastic soccer matches I have ever seen!  

I can't recommend this enough.  For a soccer/real "football" fan those two episodes were beyond cool.  Really, the entire four-episode arc that came out this week left me drained!  "Welcome to Wrexham" may well simultaneously be the most poignant, intelligent, funny, and action-packed show on video. It is must viewing. 

If I could force everyone to watch it, I would.

If you don't mind a spoiler, watch this video starting at the 2:59 mark:

Spoiler

Stoppage time magic featuring two incredible stoppage time moments one of which reminds me of Pele in the final of his first World Cup back in 1958 - just on steroids:

HIGHLIGHTS | Wrexham 2-0 Stockport County - Bing video

The video on show is pro quality multiple angles.

Edited by sfcityduck

First season was fantastic look at so many topics all tied together by the local sports team.  Incredibly entertaining and moving and exciting and informative - sometimes all at once.

The team certainly is benefitting as they just a milllion followers and ESPN   2and ESPN + are broadcasting the teams game Saturday at 8 am Eastern.

Rob McElhenney - "Do you harbor any anger or resentment towards me for getting you involved with this?"

Ryan Reynolds - "My wife wants to kill you, Rob."

Whoa, "Welcome to Wrexham" was a wonderful and wild ride. If this documentary doesn't sweep up a bunch of awards for excellence would be a travesty.  The heart and hilarity expertly and intelligently weaved within and over the 18 episodes earned and deserves a Peabody Award at the very least. :applause:

Loved seeing Wrexham AFC on ESPN 2 playing on Saturday in what could have been a small High School field here in the U.S.  Pretty jarring contrast that really made the point about what the FA Cup is all about.  Game ended in a draw, so they replay on Tuesday. I doubt that gets televised but I wish they would since it is being played at Wrexham's home field - a much bigger and more storied venue.

I think replay on ESPN2 tomorrow at 2:00 p.m. central (I think).

*Edit*: My cable guide doesn't show it yet, but it does show it when searching the programming.  And it will be on ESPN+

https://www.espn.com/watch/schedule/_/type/upcoming/categoryId/119cfa41-71d4-39bf-a790-6273a52b0259/startDate/20221018

Edited by Cozmo-One

On 10/17/2022 at 1:54 PM, Cozmo-One said:

I think replay on ESPN2 tomorrow at 2:00 p.m. central (I think).

*Edit*: My cable guide doesn't show it yet, but it does show it when searching the programming.  And it will be on ESPN+

https://www.espn.com/watch/schedule/_/type/upcoming/categoryId/119cfa41-71d4-39bf-a790-6273a52b0259/startDate/20221018

See this its on ESPN2:

Edited by sfcityduck

Exciting game!  Wrexham really had trouble with these guys.  But they make it through to the "first round" of the FA Cup and now face off against local rivals Chesterfield.  They better step up their game.  They have a big league game Saturday.

As for the tv show, yesterday it received Critics Choice nominations for Best Sports Documentary and Best Ongoing Documentary Series.

Edited by sfcityduck