• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your collecting style: Eras? Artists? Titles? A mix?
1 1

40 posts in this topic

I was curious to hear about other collectors areas of focus - when I collected OA years ago, my focus was scattershot all over the place. Old, new, characters I liked, artists I liked, different mediums, etc. Since coming back, I decided that I would focus on one era regardless of artist (90's) and working towards collecting a certain theme that would allow me to get into some newer or older stuff as it comes up for sale. For me, it keeps the collection under control and fits my personality of wanting to be "organized". Plus, it helps me not go crazy wanting to chase every piece of art that I truly like.

I was wondering what other boardies are collecting in certain areas, or if they buy what they like regardless of a specific theme or focus.

Sorry, scattershot probably best describes my collecting habits.

it's basically OA from any comic I read and enjoyed.  I did stop reading new comics so I'm limited to comics from the late 80s to the early 2000's.

However, I still buy art outside of that if I like it, and what I "like" is broad and not easily defined!

Malvin

My focus is a single character, although, I will buy other pieces if they hit me and are affordable or I just like the artist. When I was way younger, I encountered the character in his book and found his mix of supernatural powers and spiritualism intriguing, and unique. I also collect from any era, and try to buy pieces which consist of as many different styles as possible—the more obscure the better. I will even buy art by artists I don’t particularly like for the sake of comparison.

On 9/21/2022 at 10:37 AM, Rick2you2 said:

I will even buy art by artists I don’t particularly like for the sake of comparison.

I found this to be true for myself - even if I don't particularly like the artist, if it's a good representation of my collecting focus, I definitely consider it. Right now, I'm weeding through a couple pieces by an artist I'm not really big into, but he's a 90's indy mainstay, so I think it's a good move for my collection.

On 9/21/2022 at 10:46 AM, Benedict Judas Hel said:

My collecting criteria for comic book art is as follows:

1) Marvel Comics

2) 70’s-early 90’s era

3) Villain-centric

4) Large Panels

5) Up to $2500 in price

I may stray a bit from these requirements but for the most part, these are fairly rigid.

Villain-centric. I like that. Do you feel that your $2500 ceiling will creep up as time goes by, or is that part of the hunt to find pages under that maximum price?

I'm still new (3.5 years) into collecting, and I mainly get pages that I enjoy looking at, regardless of how familiar I am with the artist or character, or whether it's an action scene, a posed shot, or talking heads. That means my collection skews towards new works, many from the last five years. I do have a bucket list of older favorite artists from whom I want a nostalgia piece, and I'm resigned that it's not going to be one of the pages that generates a feeding frenzy on Heritage.

On 9/21/2022 at 12:48 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I found this to be true for myself - even if I don't particularly like the artist, if it's a good representation of my collecting focus, I definitely consider it. Right now, I'm weeding through a couple pieces by an artist I'm not really big into, but he's a 90's indy mainstay, so I think it's a good move for my collection.

I’ve also noticed that my tastes have changed over the years, and I have come to better appreciate things I own than I used to.

On 9/21/2022 at 11:49 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Villain-centric. I like that. Do you feel that your $2500 ceiling will creep up as time goes by, or is that part of the hunt to find pages under that maximum price?

The price point limit is mostly because of my self-restricted disposable income.  It is the maximum amount I feel comfortable spending on this hobby.  If a seller is okay with timed payments I could exceed that $2500 limit but anything above $600, I would need a monthly payment plan.

On 9/22/2022 at 4:17 AM, G.A.tor said:

I am laser focused on one character. Will only buy art that features that character , and prefer that character to be prominent in the piece (whether cover or splash or panel). 

I've seen your monthly art rotation, "laser focused" is an understatement! (worship)

Interesting question.

started by collecting free sketches of Spidey, then commissions of Spidey.

had some very bad experiences with creators on some commission results and switched to collecting Spidey pages under $50, which quickly escalated to $100, then $500, and then $5,000

pause for 1yr to clear my head, return to vintage comic book purchases and then back to OA.  Focus was different this time: picked up nice pieces from The Studio artists, which depleted my funds rather quickly.  Took a 6 month break to replenish my war chest and returned to the hobby buying McSpidey pages and covers from ASM 220-260.  I remember outbidding Moy and Burkey a few times when ASM covers from this era would appear on eBay 🤣

This is also the timeframe where I picked up most of my Keown artwork.

bored again, but intrigued by the success of the Batman Animated style so I went all-in and picked up OA by Timm, Cooke and Templeton.  I was done after a few dozen covers which I mostly traded to other collectors.

then I decided to collect strip art, with specific focus on Williamson’s Secret Agent Corrigan and Salinas’ Cisco Kid.  Got enough examples and went back to collecting Spidey art.  Picked up hundreds of pages each from Romita Jr and Bagley.  Along the way, I was able to pick up a Romita Sr and Ditko page or three.

bored again so I changed focus towards 2 or 3 major OA purchases per year.  This is my present course.

Edited by jjonahjameson11

I started getting my favorite artist (Ron Lim) on my favorite character (Silver Surfer) from my favorite runs as a kid.

Then I branched out to other favorite artists (Davis, Buscema, Bagley, Frenz, Valentino, Romita Jr) and characters (Thor, Wolverine, Galactus).

And some other older artists I didn't appreciate as much as I should have when I was a kid (Kirby, Trimpe).

Then I got exposed to a few "new" artists that I didn't know growing up (McNiven, Coipel, Maleev, Cassaday, Quitely, Segovia).

I love the nostalgic old stuff but I love the new artists too.