• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whatever happened to... (Boardies from yesteryear)
7 7

154 posts in this topic

On 9/27/2022 at 2:54 PM, Funnybooks said:

whatever happened to @lizards2 ?

He posts. He reacts to posts. He is living and surviving! Losing some scales but no worse for ware :cheers:

@Funnybooks I was wondering if the confused reaction was similar to greggy, but you could have thrown me a hint after my rambling that he posted recently lol

😆 🤣 😂 

Screenshot_20220927-155948_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/27/2022 at 4:00 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, that's probably because a lot of the old time boardies have left the comic book marketplace after making a short pit stop here.  (shrug)

For the newer generation of collectors or should we say speculators, this no longer seems to be the place to be now that we have so many other comic book related social media forums to go to.  Clearly evident by the fact that some forums here can now go for hours without a new posting, whereas back when I first started here, you would see new posts every few minutes.  Definitely miss the good old days from before when this was a much more fun and lively place to be.  :(

In the 2010s I got the impression that this became a place for newer, younger, inexperienced collectors to pay a quick visit, ask questions about characters or books, see if any posts from older, more knowledgeable collectors could be used for speculation, and then disappear off to monetise it.  That for me seemed to be the beginning of some degree of stagnation in growth for the community, and little additional contribution from the new blood in terms of actually caring about the medium itself.

On 9/27/2022 at 5:09 PM, Ken Aldred said:

In the 2010s I got the impression that this became a place for newer, younger, inexperienced collectors to pay a quick visit, ask questions about characters or books, see if any posts from older, more knowledgeable collectors could be used for speculation, and then disappear off to monetise it.  That for me seemed to be the beginning of some degree of stagnation in growth for the community, and little additional contribution from the new blood in terms of actually caring about the medium itself.

I also just think folks are getting old.  And I'm not sure about our long-term replacement rate.  Basically, the same issues endemic to the hobby as a whole.

On 9/27/2022 at 6:03 PM, Robot Man said:

Younger fans have a much shorter attention span and live in the world of emojis. IG is the perfect place for them.

I prefer the world of actual back and forth conversations. Being able to converse on specific genres and topics.

Then, I am a geezer who listens to vinyl records, play my guitar through a tube amp that has to warm up and ride a motorcycle with a carburetor from before I was born…:preach:

I don't have a lot of social, so are you saying there is a next generation still buying comics?

On 9/27/2022 at 4:08 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I don't have a lot of social, so are you saying there is a next generation still buying comics?

Definitely. Many are buying to flip though. The dollar box guys mostly. Many are young and know very little about GA or pulps. I found 8 boxes of vintage pulps about 6 months ago, many of these guys just walked by while I was grabbing them as fast as I could. 

On 9/27/2022 at 6:24 PM, Robot Man said:

Definitely. Many are buying to flip though. The dollar box guys mostly. Many are young and know very little about GA or pulps. I found 8 boxes of vintage pulps about 6 months ago, many of these guys just walked by while I was grabbing them as fast as I could. 

I feel that was kind of always true, just more public now. With the fast pace 2 years that will correct, it was more in your face and more often. I'm just hoping they made enough to reinvest and actually take an interest, which is usually is what happened before too. I know I see younger than me at least lol I didn't know if it was true everywhere. I'm sure people don't read everything they buy, which was true of the late 80s and 90s and so on..

I've heard marvel say they deviate from comic --script on purpose,, so I'm not sure the movies should be the "only" driving force. If we can put comics or Pokémon on a level playing field with video games, then I say we got a shot to make it last. I know the modern comic video games have had some surge in interest, and a lot of people are tired of just 1st person shooters. It'll have its niche, but nostalgia is forever? Hopes :wishluck:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/28/2022 at 12:03 AM, Robot Man said:

Then, I am a geezer who listens to vinyl records,

Popular again now with the younger music fans. 

On 9/28/2022 at 1:02 AM, Robot Man said:

Short attention spans. Why do you think moderns have big pictures and very little verbiage? 

If it's not on a phone screen, and you can't swipe it, like it, heart it or selfie it...they ain't interested.