• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whatever happened to... (Boardies from yesteryear)
7 7

154 posts in this topic

On 11/25/2022 at 1:02 PM, Brandon Shepherd said:

He did not have a journal, but he did comment on some of them at times. This was probably 2012 to 2014 if I remember correctly. I had a journal then also but I never experienced any of the rapier wit in any of my entries. :bigsmile:

I keep forgetting about the journals here - I cruise them from time to time, great stuff to read. I have to frequent it more.

On 11/25/2022 at 2:01 PM, ChiSoxFan said:

Thank you.  It feels good to have been missed.

I haven't been on here in a LONG time.  I was very active once, but a lot in my life changed dramatically several years back.  I've been battling some serious health issues, I was taking care of my aunt who reaches 100 before she passed away (she was like a 2nd mother to me my whole life, and she had no children, so I was like her son), and I had a whole other host of issues going on in my personal life as well, including dealing with after affects of Hurricane Ida last year (I live in one of the areas that was hardest hit).  The last few years have been a blur.  A couple of boardies had a phone number for me and texted -- I replied to one of them far too late, so if you're out there looking, my apologies for not getting back sooner.

I actually sold off my graded books suddenly when the health issues worsened, though I did keep all of my ungraded collection.  Without going into detail, it's not life-threatening at the moment, but it's been debilitating, and the quality of my life has definitely suffered as a result.  I miss being on here daily, I miss the boardies that I used to talk with regularly and with whom I had so many great interactions with -- buying, selling, or just talking.  Being a comic collector was -- and to some extent is still -- part of what defined me as a person.  Facing increasing age and declining health gave me new insight on what is important in life, allowed me to reflect on mistakes I've made and what my legacy as a person is in this world.  It's been at times sobering, makes me wistful, but there's always still time to have things change, as this picture should reflect:

IIMG_0187(1).thumb.jpg.ff8c6f7147ed4c73609c91356ef3b3f3.jpg

I became a father for the first time 2 years ago at the whopping age of 50 in a completely unexpected turn of events that no one could have foreseen, but this wonderful ray of sunshine in my arms has given me new purpose and a reason to make every day count for as much as it can.  I have a perspective on things now that I didn't have before, and no matter what I've gone through or will go through, she's made all of it worth it.

I appreciate the people here who remember me.  I don't know if I'll frequent back here in the way I used to, but I wanted to say hello and to tell the people who remember me that I miss you all.  I've spoiled my daughter with everything she could possibly want, but I actually bought a comic book today for the first time in years.  I may never rebuild the parts of my collection that I gave up -- but seeing the smile on my face in that picture ... would I ever mind if I could always be that happy?

To all of you, a belated Happy Thanksgiving.  I hope you are all safe, well, and wish nothing but the best for whatever tomorrow and beyond brings you. :foryou:

(((Randall))) so good to see you:) and SHE is adorable...enjoy her, they grow so fast!

On 11/25/2022 at 2:01 PM, ChiSoxFan said:

Thank you.  It feels good to have been missed.

I haven't been on here in a LONG time.  I was very active once, but a lot in my life changed dramatically several years back.  I've been battling some serious health issues, I was taking care of my aunt who reaches 100 before she passed away (she was like a 2nd mother to me my whole life, and she had no children, so I was like her son), and I had a whole other host of issues going on in my personal life as well, including dealing with after affects of Hurricane Ida last year (I live in one of the areas that was hardest hit).  The last few years have been a blur.  A couple of boardies had a phone number for me and texted -- I replied to one of them far too late, so if you're out there looking, my apologies for not getting back sooner.

I actually sold off my graded books suddenly when the health issues worsened, though I did keep all of my ungraded collection.  Without going into detail, it's not life-threatening at the moment, but it's been debilitating, and the quality of my life has definitely suffered as a result.  I miss being on here daily, I miss the boardies that I used to talk with regularly and with whom I had so many great interactions with -- buying, selling, or just talking.  Being a comic collector was -- and to some extent is still -- part of what defined me as a person.  Facing increasing age and declining health gave me new insight on what is important in life, allowed me to reflect on mistakes I've made and what my legacy as a person is in this world.  It's been at times sobering, makes me wistful, but there's always still time to have things change, as this picture should reflect:

IIMG_0187(1).thumb.jpg.ff8c6f7147ed4c73609c91356ef3b3f3.jpg

I became a father for the first time 2 years ago at the whopping age of 50 in a completely unexpected turn of events that no one could have foreseen, but this wonderful ray of sunshine in my arms has given me new purpose and a reason to make every day count for as much as it can.  I have a perspective on things now that I didn't have before, and no matter what I've gone through or will go through, she's made all of it worth it.

I appreciate the people here who remember me.  I don't know if I'll frequent back here in the way I used to, but I wanted to say hello and to tell the people who remember me that I miss you all.  I've spoiled my daughter with everything she could possibly want, but I actually bought a comic book today for the first time in years.  I may never rebuild the parts of my collection that I gave up -- but seeing the smile on my face in that picture ... would I ever mind if I could always be that happy?

To all of you, a belated Happy Thanksgiving.  I hope you are all safe, well, and wish nothing but the best for whatever tomorrow and beyond brings you. :foryou:

It’s great to see you post, Randall. I’m sorry to hear about the setbacks.  Hopefully everything gets better quickly! Congrats on your daughter!

On 11/25/2022 at 1:14 PM, Brandon Shepherd said:

8BBA512B-E2A8-4AE9-BD0D-B6D78D895879.webp.192461a1ecf1e0c296c93ae2307f373a.webp

Ok, here’s a hint.

:whistle:

On 11/25/2022 at 1:42 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Fingh had a journal back then? I did not know that. I arrived a few years later to witness his rapier wit in threads and try to glean whatever I could from his extensive knowledge of SS books.

On 11/25/2022 at 2:02 PM, Brandon Shepherd said:

He did not have a journal, but he did comment on some of them at times. This was probably 2012 to 2014 if I remember correctly. I had a journal then also but I never experienced any of the rapier wit in any of my entries. :bigsmile:

Now you've done it.

imageproxy.jpeg.3ee5a8a05041f177689706e520e79c53.jpeg

On 11/25/2022 at 1:02 PM, Brandon Shepherd said:

We can remedy that…

@seanfingh

On 11/29/2022 at 11:36 AM, WEBHEAD said:

I love reading all the posts from those of us who knew that this was the Future even though at that  time we could not afford the books we should have slabbed  I once won a Ebay group of every major marvel book all of them a friend and I pitched in and got it for a steal. Over the years some got slabbed some got sold but after that I managed to get some back but selling y FF 5 accidently had a tape pull the first time I pulled it out. Sent it in came back a 3.0 wish I never sold it but it's fine I will never never get a chance again but then again got an AF 15  for a song still have it .5 awesome and I have Stan's Sig so what will be will be

img043.jpg

Pretty great. Congrats!