• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where do most of your OA pickups come from? Dealers? Auctions? Conventions? Artists?
2 2

26 posts in this topic

I am far, far away from conventions, so I am generally relegated to sleuthing around the internet turning over rocks and bidding on auctions. I wonder about how fun and exciting it might be to attend a convention and actually buy a piece of artwork there as you hold it in your hands, and how many people get to do that - or even if it's their preferred way of purchasing.

Rarely. A lot of artwork is on line, either via auction or private sales. Other times, I contact the artist on-line directly (not always easy to find, or get an answer; one took around 14 months to answer). I have bought some at conventions, however, but not a lot. Generally, from the artist who decided to go into his basement/storage bin to find something to sell. 

I have a couple of good dealers that find me pieces. And i find a few at auctions. Also have a couple of good collectors that have provided me with some great pieces. 

and on occasion something finds me at a con. So all of the above I guess 

On 9/24/2022 at 10:45 AM, Rick2you2 said:

Other times, I contact the artist on-line directly (not always easy to find, or get an answer; one took around 14 months to answer).

I have tried this method with about a 50% chance of reply, which sounds like I might be doing ok. The art I'm looking for (90s) has generally been long sold off by the artist, but I figure it can't hurt to reach out.

All of the above for me, although I wasn't going to as many conventions lately (even before COVID).

If I had to rank by volume of pages, my order would be: Auctions, Dealers, Conventions, Artists.

Conventions are fun as you often see art that is not online and I have on many occasions but tons of pages at once from some artists.

Malvin

I have zero connections so I am usually at the mercy of finding things at auction from people sacrificing what they consider lower tier pieces to fund the big piece they want lol. 

That and I beg at cons. 

A mix for sure. Online auctions are always running. So are artist web sites. But conventions are a convenient opportunity to encounter good artists that you wouldn't have thought to look for, often cheaper than the artists that were already on your radar. Some of my favorite pieces have been acquired that way.

On 9/27/2022 at 9:26 AM, alxjhnsn said:

Here’s the info from my collection. Direct from the artist is the major source. That could be in person or by mail. 

Auction - LiveAuctioneers

0%

Auction – Baltimore Comic Con

0%

Auction – CBLDF

0%

Auction – ComicLink

2%

Auction – Heritage

2%

Auction – HeroesCon

1%

Auction – NYCC

0%

Dealer – Aardwolf

1%

Dealer – Anthony Snyder

2%

Dealer – Bedrock City Comic Company

0%

Dealer – Frank Giella

0%

Dealer – Ike Wilson

0%

Dealer – J. David Spurlock

0%

Dealer – Mike Burkey

0%

Dealer – Pop Culture Co. Houston

0%

Dealer – Roger Clark

0%

Dealer – Spencer Beck

1%

Dealer – SplashPage Art

0%

Dealer – Steven Wyatt

1%

Dealer – Vincent Zurzolo

0%

Direct

57%

eBay

10%

Gift

2%

Heritage

0%

Hero Initiative

2%

IDW

1%

Kickstarter

7%

Private Purchase

2%

Total

Why do I have a feeling your desk is absolutely neat and organized?