• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where do most of your OA pickups come from? Dealers? Auctions? Conventions? Artists?
2 2

26 posts in this topic

On 9/27/2022 at 12:59 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Why do I have a feeling your desk is absolutely neat and organized?

If a disorganized desk is the sign of a disorganized mind, of what then is an empty desk the sign?

I will admit to tracking the squandering of my daughters’ inheritance accurately and completely. 

Edited by alxjhnsn

Directly from the artist purchases are best, in my opinion. Not only does it cut out the middle men and allow for all the funds to go directly to them, it's personally more rewarding to contact the artists you like and chat with them. But I also buy from fellow collectors, reps, online stores, and auction sites. For me the auctions have been exclusively eBay and Mandarake. I haven't participated in the big boy auctions like Heritage yet.

Edited by BuraddoRun

On 9/29/2022 at 9:20 PM, BuraddoRun said:

Directly from the artist purchases are best, in my opinion. Not only does it cut out the middle men and allow for all the funds to go directly to them, it's personally more rewarding to contact the artists you like and chat with them. But I also buy from fellow collectors, reps, online stores, and auction sites. For me the auctions have been exclusively eBay and Mandarake. I haven't participated in the big boy auctions like Heritage yet.

You would be surprised by what you can find on HA, particularly the weeklies. People sometimes pass up great work just because it doesn’t have a single X-Man on it. They are too busy looking for big fish. 

On 9/27/2022 at 7:26 AM, Unstoppablejayd said:

I love the hunt of finding pieces in unusual places! 

I am working on spending more time hunting around trying to find stuff - and just trying to see what turns up, rather than specifically cruise auction sites now. I like it so far!

On 9/30/2022 at 5:44 PM, Rick2you2 said:

You would be surprised by what you can find on HA, particularly the weeklies. People sometimes pass up great work just because it doesn’t have a single X-Man on it. They are too busy looking for big fish. 

Of course, there is also the nuts pricing for some pieces, too. A John Bolton page from Books of Magic, V. 1, just went for $12,750. Yes, it had 4 head shots of the Trenchcoat Brigade, and two rather sparse 1/3 splashes of Tim Hunter on a skateboard, which is great if you love skateboarding. But that price? I bought a piece a few years ago with PS and Hunter for a little less than $1,500, and have seen other pages up to around $4k. Despite the hype from HA, I don’t think it is that kind of wonderful. So maybe, COVID really did screw up the market.