• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GRADE IS IN - "Comic Comics" #4
2 2

19 posts in this topic

On 9/26/2022 at 8:36 PM, scburdet said:

It does look great, and I don't want to be a buzzkill, but from what limited examples I can find, I think that staple might be added. That might take an otherwise 9ish GA book down a couple of grades.

It's definitely the original staple.  I have no doubts about it.

On 9/27/2022 at 8:32 AM, scburdet said:

Interesting. This is one of the only copies I can find. Missing the staple? Different bindings out there b/c of the era?

Single-staple books were common in the mid-40s because of the war conservation effort.

Not sure exactly what's up with the MCS copy but it may just have its staple on the spine or back.

VFish range: slight blunting top of spine, a little rounding of the corners.  Could tell more with a Heritage Auction sized scan. 

Single staple book that looks very solid, bright colors, very white back cover. About off-white to white pages(?) from the little sliver I can see?  Very nice! (thumbsu

Edited by Forbush-Man

On 9/27/2022 at 10:31 AM, Forbush-Man said:

VFish range: slight blunting top of spine, a little rounding of the corners.  Could tell more with a Heritage Auction sized scan. 

Single staple book that looks very solid, bright colors, very white back cover. About off-white to white pages(?) from the little sliver I can see?  Very nice! (thumbsu

"VFish range"? You're not from around here, are you.  :taptaptap:

On 9/27/2022 at 8:32 AM, scburdet said:

Interesting. This is one of the only copies I can find. Missing the staple? Different bindings out there b/c of the era?

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ivitems=7210071#56793267

GA spine folds, trims, and staple placements, were all over the place.  Many of the trims were not even at right angles :bigsmile:.  That MCS example probably has the staple as much on the back cover as mine is on the front cover.

If that light stain on the lower back cleans off...7.5.  I can't go higher because of the dust/sun shadow on the top, back edge, but I don't work for CGC either. (thumbsu