• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A plea for professionalism
4 4

65 posts in this topic

On 9/30/2022 at 3:57 PM, Deano73 said:

I posted this in another thread but I think it fits here also....

This in their description for comic book grader on the careers page.

Comic Book Grader

Responsibilities will include:
  • Assessment of condition and quality of collectible comic books
  • Identification of restoration
  • Entry of grading data into computer system

So it's part of their responsibility unless they just see that typing in 0.5 to 9.8 as grading data.

In my opinion grader notes should be on everything below 9.8

You nailed it. If they have this info, just give it to their customers. 

The problem is that whatever behavior that is rewarded will be repeated, and right now they can make money with subpar service. As has already been noted before, until there is a legitimate competitor CGC will most likely even decline from the quality they provide now.

On 9/27/2022 at 7:40 PM, Robert Doggett said:

I can grade better than the employees they have doing this at the moment.  Why pay for THIS service?  

The only thing holding the ship together is reputation.  The noobs believe CGC to be the best graders.   Personally, I think their grades are soft.  Can’t buy 9.2s anymore, because they look like VFs at best to me.  Move up to 9.4, and you’re still dealing with 4 CB spine hits at least.   I haven’t submitted in many moons, so I don’t know what kind of books people are used to getting 9.8s on(I don’t buy 9.8s anymore so I haven’t had the chance to be disappointed with the current offerings.)

You should have to look very closely to find a defect on a NM/MT book.  If a defect is obvious...it’s not NM/MT2c

Recent grades have definitely been whacky and the lack of graders notes on even 9.0 books makes it hard to figure out why books were dinged. I’d say  30 percent of my recentmy graded books have come back lower than we could expect in past  years, 10 percent have come in higher than makes sense and the remaining  60% have been accurate. 

On 9/27/2022 at 6:40 PM, Robert Doggett said:

CGC/Blackstone,

Please return back to your days of integrity.  I am so tired of seeing grades all over the map that shouldn't belong to the books that are encapsulated in the same case.  I have two examples, both within the last few months to show the lack of attention, professionalism and management needed to run a successful company.  I realize CGC must have hired a LOT of unskilled graders to push out the moderns at record speed.  Hence the 20 day turnaround times.  I get it, you want your customers to get their books back quickly.  As a customer (I can't speak for everyone, mind you),I want quality over quantity every time.  If you speed up the process without jeopardizing the accuracy of the grading, I think the mass majority would be all in for that.

I haven't gotten any comics graded for over a year now, and thus upon returning to this site after quite a while, I was excited to see the 20-day turnaround relative to the previously (seemingly never ending) several-week delayed turnaround times. Then I read this post, which is concerning. I am thinking of getting some comics graded soon, so hopefully this issue will be addressed in terms of training and quality control (etc.), as it would be discouraging to receive an order with questionable grading after having taken a lengthy break from CGC due to another issue.

On 9/27/2022 at 10:56 PM, MAR1979 said:

owner and they refused to resubmit it due to principal.

Please explain what that principal is?  The only one I can think of they lack morals and ethics and intend on selling it around FMV for a 9.6 newsstand via venue in which no returns are accepted. 

But yeah I agree CGC Q/C is pretty much non-existent and as long as they inundated with business that will not change.  Truly strong competition with associated perception is the only way things will change but sadly none exists.

On 9/27/2022 at 7:40 PM, Robert Doggett said:

CGC/Blackstone,

Please return back to your days of integrity.  I am so tired of seeing grades all over the map that shouldn't belong to the books that are encapsulated in the same case.  I have two examples, both within the last few months to show the lack of attention, professionalism and management needed to run a successful company.  I realize CGC must have hired a LOT of unskilled graders to push out the moderns at record speed.  Hence the 20 day turnaround times.  I get it, you want your customers to get their books back quickly.  As a customer (I can't speak for everyone, mind you),I want quality over quantity every time.  If you speed up the process without jeopardizing the accuracy of the grading, I think the mass majority would be all in for that.

I realize that some people are going to call me whiner, cryer, spoiled brat for not getting the grade I wanted.  Life isn't fair and all that jazz, but I discount those comments because those will most likely be the CGC fanboys, the ones that will defend CGC tooth and nail.  I'm tired of the inaccurate grading and the laziness of the staff to perform some sort of quality control.  Books graded 9.4 and below should have some kind of grader notes to identify issues with books.  Keeping in mind that 9.8 is not a perfect book and there is room for a slight flaw here and there.

Grades have been harsh on most books lately.  I took a big hit on my Moon Knight run because of strict grading.  I didn't complain, just kind of rolled with the punches.  I probably lost a grand on them due to the uncalled for low grades but I live and learn daily.  It's a part of life.

The first book I wanted to talk about is a Marvel Team-Up I submitted that was flawless.  Bright colors, sharp corners, perfectly flat, not a spine tick in it anywhere.  I am thinking about sending it back in to get it regraded because I believe it deserves a 9.8.  Because of this, I am not stating an issue number or posting pics of it.  The book came back graded 9.x. (Not 9.6/9.8) without grader notes.  The book wasn't switched out, either.  It's still, to the naked eye, is flawless in my humble opinion.

The second is Warlock 19.  Spine ticks pretty consistent down the spine of the book with several color breaks along the way.  The bottom left corner is blunted.  I question how this book gets by CGC's quality control.

FFE15141-C757-4822-8F08-9DDED0CDADBA.thumb.jpeg.290c3cd96ce23a26e7ddbd0009e10ebd.jpegF4F36325-C94A-4482-9CB5-D89814A1FDCF.thumb.jpeg.193610cf28f19c41f559a0c25aad8910.jpeg83568CEA-3939-4177-A53D-666F9FF0005F.thumb.jpeg.864b43c9058fa1783fe9d69f4009ace1.jpeg

36942270-EF73-43D2-BE4A-A1A6E136861A.thumb.jpeg.34be36ecd0c2f0de6db30cab65b5bc83.jpeg

And lastly, this GI Joe.  I have been contacted by CGC about this book to be resubmitted free of charge and graded properly.  Since it is not my book, all I could do was contact the owner and they refused to resubmit it due to principal.  

10498B3A-6761-44AA-839C-6158EE0EE26C.thumb.jpeg.f7cbe2fb8b3d7b192342e46c95ee5148.jpeg2E6DF042-167B-4EFC-8CE0-6AAE3C510F6B.thumb.jpeg.7666ff26075184bd8d9aa769facc5e9b.jpeg

Neither one of these books that are pictured should have left CGC as they were.  This is a gross failure on many people's part and for them to get by everyone is shameful!  So some books get graded harshly, others unexplainably soft.  For me, it's a spoon shoot as to what grade I'm going to get.  It's making me shy away from grading for the time being.  I can grade better than the employees they have doing this at the moment.  Why pay for THIS service?  

I just want CGC to recognize the books that are leaving their offices and possibly have a senior grader skim over the books that the untrained grader has attempted to grade.  This should not ever happen.

Stepping down from my soapbox.

Funny, I have a Batman 423 with 3 spine tics that just got a 9.0. Maybe they read your post and went to the other extreme