• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A raw Hawkman #4 ruined by poor Heritage shipping
2 2

28 posts in this topic

Had a very frustrating experience recently with Heritage and their shipping dept. and wanted to share to see if anyone else has run into a similar issue.

I won a raw Hawkman #4 book at auction graded FN/VF. Was excited to get it as I have one CGC 7.5 copy and was hoping to add another to my collection.

Imagine my disappointment when the box arrived, looking like it had been delivered by Ace Ventura (see pix).

Obviously, the beat-up box is on FED EX. However, a well-packed comic should have easily survived a rough shipping process.

Except, Heritage shipped the comic without any cardboard to protect it. They just wrapped it in some bubble wrap and a standard bag/board.

As you can see, it didn't protect the comic. Considering they've shipped $300 animation cels to me in heavy duty boxes with cardboard protection, about 2 million packing peanuts & a manila envelope, I could not believe the shoddy shipping for a $1500 comic book.

Heritage did offer a full refund immediately when I let them know what happened, but it's still incredibly frustrating. A great Silver Age comic is ruined because someone was too careless or lazy to pack it properly.

URGH....rant over.

Mike

IMG_7656.jpg

IMG_7657.jpg

IMG_7658.jpg

IMG_7660.jpg

On 9/28/2022 at 7:53 AM, fsumavila said:

Had a very frustrating experience recently with Heritage and their shipping dept. and wanted to share to see if anyone else has run into a similar issue.

I won a raw Hawkman #4 book at auction graded FN/VF. Was excited to get it as I have one CGC 7.5 copy and was hoping to add another to my collection.

Imagine my disappointment when the box arrived, looking like it had been delivered by Ace Ventura (see pix).

Obviously, the beat-up box is on FED EX. However, a well-packed comic should have easily survived a rough shipping process.

Except, Heritage shipped the comic without any cardboard to protect it. They just wrapped it in some bubble wrap and a standard bag/board.

As you can see, it didn't protect the comic. Considering they've shipped $300 animation cels to me in heavy duty boxes with cardboard protection, about 2 million packing peanuts & a manila envelope, I could not believe the shoddy shipping for a $1500 comic book.

Heritage did offer a full refund immediately when I let them know what happened, but it's still incredibly frustrating. A great Silver Age comic is ruined because someone was too careless or lazy to pack it properly.

URGH....rant over.

Mike

IMG_7656.jpg

IMG_7657.jpg

IMG_7658.jpg

IMG_7660.jpg

I'm sorry this happened to you. I've had great luck with comics shipped to me. by everybody. folks here, heritage, mcs

curious, once $ is refunded, do they ask for book back?

On 9/28/2022 at 11:11 AM, NoMan said:

I'm sorry this happened to you. I've had great luck with comics shipped to me. by everybody. folks here, heritage, mcs

curious, once $ is refunded, do they ask for book back?

Yes, they process the refund when they receive the item back. 

On 9/28/2022 at 1:25 PM, buttock said:

1) Cardboard probably wouldn't have helped there, maybe even made it worse. 

2) Heritage is great about returns.  

I get packages all the time - from auction houses, eBay, private sellers, etc. I'm not sure how cardboard slabs on either side could have done anything but help protect the comic. There was nothing in the packing to prevent the book from being bent out of shape. very strange and not typically the type of packaging I see from Heritage.

On 9/28/2022 at 8:53 AM, fsumavila said:

Imagine my disappointment when the box arrived, looking like it had been delivered by Ace Ventura

I'm sorry for the hassle you're dealing with - but when I read that line I literally LOL'd.

I have to think it's an isolated incident - doesn't help your situation, but I have not had any packing issues with Heritage - either art or raw/slabbed comics. Always packed well - but I also have not had the delivery company abuse the hell out of the package, either.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 9/28/2022 at 11:58 AM, Robot Man said:

They give it to the boys in the back, they squish it and flip it to the next victim. 

This.

It's happened to me on a book that had restoration.  Heritage made good on the refund but they took the now graded book back at the raw price + shipping and auctioned off the graded book.  It went for less than I originally paid for it raw. 

Bad luck and it's too bad you have to go through this hassle that probably could've been easily avoided if they'd just put the book between two thick pieces of cardboard as usual.

The good news is that it's not like this is some rare Centaur.  I'm sure you'll find another Hawkman 4 in this grade at a comparable price soon enough. :wishluck:

On 9/28/2022 at 10:08 PM, tth2 said:

Bad luck and it's too bad you have to go through this hassle that probably could've been easily avoided if they'd just put the book between two thick pieces of cardboard as usual.

The good news is that it's not like this is some rare Centaur.  I'm sure you'll find another Hawkman 4 in this grade at a comparable price soon enough. :wishluck:

You are 100% correct. But man, it still hurt seeing that comic in such a state!

On 9/30/2022 at 4:28 AM, divad said:

I've never received a single book from Heritage.:applause:

I've never received a single book from Heritage either.  It's way too costly to have just one book shipped to me.  I always ask them to hold books until there's a bunch that can be shipped to me at the same time.

On 9/29/2022 at 9:07 PM, tth2 said:

I've never received a single book from Heritage either.  It's way too costly to have just one book shipped to me.  I always ask them to hold books until there's a bunch that can be shipped to me at the same time.

what does it cost to send a dozen photo-cover tarzans over to you????

Wow! Looks like something very pointed landed on the package (probably another heavier package) and quite easily distorted the packaging right through the bubble wrap to the book. I have received several raw books from Heritage packaged this same way, but fortunately, none of those boxes suffered this kind of handling damage, but it does worry me and your experience here confirms they need to shore up how they are packaging raw books like this. I have two raw books on the way to me now from Heritage and would be very enraged if they arrived like this one of yours, especially for what they charge for shipping, they could at least try to protect them better.