CGC Now Recognizes Newsstand Editions and Multi-Packs on CGC Label
9 9

43 posts in this topic

  • Administrator
On 10/18/2022 at 4:21 PM, Qalyar said:

@CGC Mike Any update on this? I've seen a couple other recent newsstand-labeled slabs, but they all have the same problem. The serial lookup shows the newsstand designation was entered as a Pedigree instead of a Variant, which makes them sort incorrectly in the census (and the registry, which inherits categorization from the census).

I have been in contact with web help again today, and they are checking into this.

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/18/2022 at 7:30 PM, CGC Mike said:

I have been in contact with web help again today, and they are checking into this.

Mike

End-of-week check-in on this. I know you've been talking to the web folks on the grounds that this might be a display issue, but I suspect that this is actually a data entry problem, wherein whatever new process was set up to flag these books as Newsstand Printings is putting that data in the wrong database field. How big a problem this represents depends very much on which of us is correct...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrator
On 10/21/2022 at 5:23 PM, Qalyar said:

End-of-week check-in on this. I know you've been talking to the web folks on the grounds that this might be a display issue, but I suspect that this is actually a data entry problem, wherein whatever new process was set up to flag these books as Newsstand Printings is putting that data in the wrong database field. How big a problem this represents depends very much on which of us is correct...

The web help team have just had me refer this problem to a different department.  So, still working on getting this fixed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/21/2022 at 8:08 PM, CGC Mike said:

The web help team have just had me refer this problem to a different department.  So, still working on getting this fixed.

Any word yet this week? Not to put too fine a point on it, but I'm concerned that these books are all going to need to go back for data correction...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrator
On 10/25/2022 at 2:55 PM, Qalyar said:

Any word yet this week? Not to put too fine a point on it, but I'm concerned that these books are all going to need to go back for data correction...

Not yet, sorry.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrator
On 11/1/2022 at 5:30 PM, Qalyar said:

Sorry to keep having to ping you on this, Mike, but I'm holding a stack of submissions pending a resolution on this.

I still don't have anything to post about this yet.  It may be a while.  Sorry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/1/2022 at 7:48 PM, CGC Mike said:

I still don't have anything to post about this yet.  It may be a while.  Sorry.

Figured it had been a couple of weeks, so checking back in. I know you're largely the messenger here, Mike, but this situation is frustrating. At the very least, can you confirm that the intent of this policy change is for newsstand editions to be treated as separate census entities, like CPVs and similar things? Because they're pretty clearly still not, and I don't really understand why this happened like it has, or why it's being so resistant to correction.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrator
On 11/14/2022 at 12:35 PM, Qalyar said:

Figured it had been a couple of weeks, so checking back in. I know you're largely the messenger here, Mike, but this situation is frustrating. At the very least, can you confirm that the intent of this policy change is for newsstand editions to be treated as separate census entities, like CPVs and similar things? Because they're pretty clearly still not, and I don't really understand why this happened like it has, or why it's being so resistant to correction.

We are working on getting this fixed.  It’s simply a programming thing that will take more time.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is there a timeline when the Newsstand version's recognition goes into production, when will book values for these issues be included in the Registry?  

I understand that is fairly substantial undertaking.  Or will it be on a piecemeal approach, as newsstand books are slabbed/re-slabbed, the relevant book values will be included in the registry?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think this is great. As with most vintage collectible hobbies, there exists this unspoken or unrecognized, unfair disadvantage with regards to "keys", let alone the collectible itself as an investment.

Many of us were not welcomed in certain places in certain areas that sold comic books( until not as long as you think ago); so did not have the opportunity advantage to obtain most (if not all) golden/silver age "keys" .

But, then again, most of our neighborhoods did not have a(ny) local comic book store(s).

Newsstands, however, were basically everywhere and a bit more progressive with regards to their clientele.

This is an identifiable, completely objective metric on a book that definitely adds a much needed shift in equity within the hobby.

 

 

Edited by SC2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/8/2023 at 9:04 AM, Brandon Shepherd said:

Will the census start listening Newsstand and Collectors Pack editions separately, like they do for multiple printings? 

Have they still not done that? Was that not the point?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/8/2023 at 3:25 PM, Microchip said:

@valiantman have you seen anything come through on the data yet?

No, but I was informed by CGC employees that there will be an update to the CGC Census at some point which will reflect the Newsstand books graded since the announcement.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/14/2022 at 1:04 PM, CGC Mike said:

We are working on getting this fixed.  It’s simply a programming thing that will take more time.  

Hi Mike,

In general, when CGC misses annotation of the newsstand edition on the CGC label, is it returnable for correction at CGC expense? 

The prerequisites have been met: I added newsstand edition to the comic line item because there was none, and it is confirmed a direct edition exists...a lot of them.

Thank you

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/22/2023 at 7:55 PM, Dr. A said:

Hi Mike,

In general, when CGC misses annotation of the newsstand edition on the CGC label, is it returnable for correction at CGC expense? 

The prerequisites have been met: I added newsstand edition to the comic line item because there was none, and it is confirmed a direct edition exists...a lot of them.

Thank you

I had a New Mutants 98 that I got back a couple weeks ago...newsstand variant that was sent graded to me unlabeled. A couple weeks prior, I got ASM 300 and 361 that both noted they were newsstands. They had the Spider-Man label though, if that makes a difference. I was disappointed to be charged a grading fee based on the newsstand cover without it being noted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrator
On 1/22/2023 at 7:55 PM, Dr. A said:

Hi Mike,

In general, when CGC misses annotation of the newsstand edition on the CGC label, is it returnable for correction at CGC expense? 

The prerequisites have been met: I added newsstand edition to the comic line item because there was none, and it is confirmed a direct edition exists...a lot of them.

Thank you

 

On 1/22/2023 at 8:02 PM, PeterPark said:

I had a New Mutants 98 that I got back a couple weeks ago...newsstand variant that was sent graded to me unlabeled. A couple weeks prior, I got ASM 300 and 361 that both noted they were newsstands. They had the Spider-Man label though, if that makes a difference. I was disappointed to be charged a grading fee based on the newsstand cover without it being noted.

These can be sent back as a ME.  Be sure to write the reason on the packing slip and mention approved by CGC Mike.  If you live outside the US, you will need to contact customer service for a shipping label.  Otherwise, one will automatically be sent to you through our website (not by e-mail) after completing the submission form.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
9 9