• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Now Recognizes Newsstand Editions and Multi-Packs on CGC Label
8 8

62 posts in this topic

On 1/9/2023 at 4:05 PM, valiantman said:

No, but I was informed by CGC employees that there will be an update to the CGC Census at some point which will reflect the Newsstand books graded since the announcement.

I don't see any of the newly notated books on the census, any indication of when the census will reflect the new editions?

@CGC Mike do you know when things will be reflected on the census? 

• Administrator
On 1/23/2023 at 10:13 PM, Microchip said:
On 1/9/2023 at 12:05 AM, valiantman said:

No, but I was informed by CGC employees that there will be an update to the CGC Census at some point which will reflect the Newsstand books graded since the announcement.

I don't see any of the newly notated books on the census, any indication of when the census will reflect the new editions?

@CGC Mike do you know when things will be reflected on the census? 

No.  However, I just bumped an e-mail regarding this with management, asking for this to be expedited.  

I am entering a submission and as I am trying to enter Spawn #1 newsstand I am noticing there is not a newsstand edition option for it. I see Spawn 1 slabs with "Newsstand Edition" on the label so I know it's available. Is this something I don't have to enter and the grader denotes it automatically, or am I missing something? Thanks.

• Administrator
On 2/9/2023 at 9:32 PM, joeday17821 said:

I am entering a submission and as I am trying to enter Spawn #1 newsstand I am noticing there is not a newsstand edition option for it. I see Spawn 1 slabs with "Newsstand Edition" on the label so I know it's available. Is this something I don't have to enter and the grader denotes it automatically, or am I missing something? Thanks.

You don't have to enter newsstand on the submission form.

On 1/23/2023 at 8:31 AM, CGC Mike said:

These can be sent back as a ME.  Be sure to write the reason on the packing slip and mention approved by CGC Mike.  If you live outside the US, you will need to contact customer service for a shipping label.  Otherwise, one will automatically be sent to you through our website (not by e-mail) after completing the submission form.  

Administratively how much time do we have to send back forgotten newsstand notations on the labels, the announcement was on September 26th.  I’ve sent some back already but have now found more that were missed. My submissions are now 0-5 when the newsstand is on the back cover while front cover fairs better. 

• Administrator
On 3/1/2023 at 4:01 PM, Topnotchman said:

Administratively how much time do we have to send back forgotten newsstand notations on the labels, the announcement was on September 26th.  I’ve sent some back already but have now found more that were missed. My submissions are now 0-5 when the newsstand is on the back cover while front cover fairs better. 

I am sorry to hear that you are still having problems with the notation on the label.  I will alert the team regarding newsstands on the back cover.

• Administrator
On 3/1/2023 at 8:30 PM, CGC Mike said:

I am sorry to hear that you are still having problems with the notation on the label.  I will alert the team regarding newsstands on the back cover.

BTW, there is no time limit for "wrong info on the labels"

• Administrator

My submissions are now 0-5 when the newsstand is on the back cover while front cover fairs better. 

This was e-mailed to the graders.

#nicceeee  ;)

i KNEW it was a great idea  ..to keep getting Newstands issues as a kid .. along with direct sales issue  

this makes me :D   cbg mike  

thescrod 

Edited by thescrod

Hello,

I'm checking in to see if there's any updates on updating the registry to reflect newsstand editions and point values? With CGC awards coming up I was hoping my competitive sets that include newsstand editions could be accurately reflected.

Thank you!

• Administrator
On 4/8/2023 at 1:08 PM, Scott Wendland said:

Hello,

I'm checking in to see if there's any updates on updating the registry to reflect newsstand editions and point values? With CGC awards coming up I was hoping my competitive sets that include newsstand editions could be accurately reflected.

Thank you!

Maybe @wytshus can shed some light on this.

Hi Mike. Scanning this thread for an answer and didn’t see it but I’m curious if the census will be breaking out newsstands from direct submissions at some point?  I have yet to see any census data do so but it would certainly be helpful to get some real rarity data. Thanks 

image.jpg

• Administrator
On 4/17/2023 at 8:34 AM, ThothAmon said:

Hi Mike. Scanning this thread for an answer and didn’t see it but I’m curious if the census will be breaking out newsstands from direct submissions at some point?  I have yet to see any census data do so but it would certainly be helpful to get some real rarity data. Thanks 

This is where we currently stand as far as newsstands and the census.

The newsstands that we originally identified based on a paper or price difference (not many) has "newsstand" in the variant field, which generates a separate comic ID number in our system. When we recently started identifying all newsstands, it was not feasible to create separate comic ID's for every one (thousands), so we put "newsstand" in the pedigree field (which does not need a separate comic ID number). 

This is a similar situation to the foreign comics; the census is not going to reflect either until we finish revamping that section of the website. When we do, the census will pull newsstand data from the pedigree field and foreigns from the foreign field/country.

On 4/17/2023 at 7:34 AM, ThothAmon said:

I have yet to see any census data do so but it would certainly be helpful to get some real rarity data.

You'll never get that from the CGC Census. Even if it were a perfect reflection of the rest of the world (which it has never been), it would still contain tons of entries from before CGC decided to acknowledge different editions.

On 4/17/2023 at 6:22 PM, Lazyboy said:

You'll never get that from the CGC Census. Even if it were a perfect reflection of the rest of the world (which it has never been), it would still contain tons of entries from before CGC decided to acknowledge different editions.

You might be right but I think the numbers going forward, once reported, will give us a pretty good idea of what the historical census data was. Especially true with key issues that have thousands of submissions. I’d guess higher newsstand prices than their direct counterparts will skew the numbers also. 

Edited by ThothAmon

I THINK CGC SHOULD WANT TO HELP BUILD A CENSUS THAT CAN BE COUNTED ON SO INSTEAD OF CHARGING FOR REHOLDER  TO UPDATE CENSUS THEY SHOULD BUILD AN  APP  THAT SCANS YOUR ALREADY GRADED COMIC  AND HAVE IT RECONIZE A NEWSSTAND OR ANY OTHER TYPE OF VARIANT SO THE CENSUS THAT CGC HAS WILL BE MADE DEFINATIVE AND NOT OHHH JUST MAYBEE

Edited by comics by rex

On 7/24/2023 at 7:07 PM, comics by rex said:

I THINK CGC SHOULD WANT TO HELP BUILD A CENSUS THAT CAN BE COUNTED ON SO INSTEAD OF CHARGING FOR REHOLDER  TO UPDATE CENSUS THEY SHOULD BUILD AN  APP  THAT SCANS YOUR ALREADY GRADED COMIC  AND HAVE IT RECONIZE A NEWSSTAND OR ANY OTHER TYPE OF VARIANT SO THE CENSUS THAT CGC HAS WILL BE MADE DEFINATIVE AND NOT OHHH JUST MAYBEE

lol

1. The Census can't be counted on and never really could be. It just is what it is.
2. That would be too much work and cost for CGC to ever seriously consider.
3. Everybody would have to participate for it to have any value.
4. It would be too easy to manipulate.