• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lady Death Love Conquers All: Black Metal Edition

8 posts in this topic

Got a push notification on this and was blown away at a $399 price tag for a variant (only 15 made - and $489 for a remarqued version) from Coffin Comics. Anyone get one of these on order - looks like they sold out quick. I'm interested to hear how cool this is with an all metal cover whenever it ships (mid-October). Sounds intriguing even with the big price tag.

Coffin Comics variant offerings make the 90's craze look tame. They had something like 12 different variants for this one book, and I believe that 10-12 different variations are typical for just about every comic they release. I really like Mike Krome's artwork, so I checked it out - I am genuinely curious to who snaps these up.

Awhile back, I was looking to buy a Chamber of Coffins (Chamber of Chills #19 homage) book, and they were listed at $100-150 on Ebay (no sales), I went to the Coffin Comics site and bought one for $40, I think. Is there a crowd buying these on the aftermarket? Are they savagely marked up for conventions, then overstock is blown out on their website? I have absolutely no idea how to navigate the modern market - so that's where my curiosity lies.

On 9/30/2022 at 2:08 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Coffin Comics variant offerings make the 90's craze look tame. They had something like 12 different variants for this one book, and I believe that 10-12 different variations are typical for just about every comic they release. I really like Mike Krome's artwork, so I checked it out - I am genuinely curious to who snaps these up.

Awhile back, I was looking to buy a Chamber of Coffins (Chamber of Chills #19 homage) book, and they were listed at $100-150 on Ebay (no sales), I went to the Coffin Comics site and bought one for $40, I think. Is there a crowd buying these on the aftermarket? Are they savagely marked up for conventions, then overstock is blown out on their website? I have absolutely no idea how to navigate the modern market - so that's where my curiosity lies.

I have only slightly greater respect for Coffin than I do for Counterpoint. Coffin does still at least publish actual stories with the characters they own the rights to, so there's that. But their abuse of variant cover madness makes 90s Image look tame. I can only assume the contents of their books are a secondary concern at this point, because they're basically a publisher of limited-edition art prints disguised as comics.

I really can't imagine that either publisher's oeuvre will hold value in even the medium-term. There's just too much of it to be legitimately collectible, sold at prices that I can't imagine the secondary market would ever recoup.

On 9/30/2022 at 1:17 PM, Qalyar said:

I can only assume the contents of their books are a secondary concern at this point, because they're basically a publisher of limited-edition art prints disguised as comics.

That seems to be an accurate way of describing it. The amount of variant covers (by any publisher, all the way up to Marvel) to me seems like the cover is the big deal, not the book.

On 9/30/2022 at 3:08 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I just got my Cosplay Kickstarter variant back. I have two so if someone buys it then they helped pay for the kickstarter and I can CGC my raw backup copy. If not it just sits in my box - no biggie.

I will say that despite the number of variant covers I only ever find myself liking one or two. I would almost be happier if Coffin learned how to calm down on the endlessly long email spam with poor graphic design before worrying about the number of variant covers.

IMG_8308.jpg.a904eee39e952bf3967354a039c8dcff.jpg

On 9/30/2022 at 9:00 PM, Pixx_L said:

I just got my Cosplay Kickstarter variant back. I have two so if someone buys it then they helped pay for the kickstarter and I can CGC my raw backup copy. If not it just sits in my box - no biggie.

I will say that despite the number of variant covers I only ever find myself liking one or two. I would almost be happier if Coffin learned how to calm down on the endlessly long email spam with poor graphic design before worrying about the number of variant covers.

IMG_8308.jpg.a904eee39e952bf3967354a039c8dcff.jpg

You covered the best part of that cover with your camera.:mad:

On 9/30/2022 at 11:07 PM, Dr. Balls said:

You covered the best part of that cover with your camera.:mad:

I used to keep the slabs in the bag when shooting photos because it minimized reflections but the new bags they use make it impossible given they're not as transparent (unfortunately).

:P

On 10/1/2022 at 6:18 AM, Pixx_L said:

I used to keep the slabs in the bag when shooting photos because it minimized reflections but the new bags they use make it impossible given they're not as transparent (unfortunately).

:P

I'm glad I'm not the only one with that problem.