• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If this is the only OA forum, why isn't everyone here?
4 4

85 posts in this topic

As far as I know, this is the only (current) substantive discussion forum for OA. I suppose you could say Bill's various shows provide a forum of sorts, but there is nowhere near the level of thoughtful engagement you find here. So why isn't everyone here? They certainly know it is here... collectors toss in some negative comment about this forum on every show he runs. 

On 9/30/2022 at 4:23 PM, malvin said:

I think its just all spread out now, mainly to various FB focums.

CAF has it's own forums but I think activity is low.  Comicart-l is still around but has lower activities.  Statue forum had and maybe still has an OA sub forum too but I don't know how much activity is going on there.

Malvin

…and those FB forums don’t hold a candle to this place.

On 9/30/2022 at 12:57 PM, KirbyCollector said:

As far as I know, this is the only (current) substantive discussion forum for OA. I suppose you could say Bill's various shows provide a forum of sorts, but there is nowhere near the level of thoughtful engagement you find here. So why isn't everyone here? They certainly know it is here... collectors toss in some negative comment about this forum on every show he runs. 

For the same reason not every collector is on CAF. It's not everyone's cup of tea.

On 9/30/2022 at 3:57 PM, KirbyCollector said:

I also want to add in, the "negative" comments are just playful banter, its just a reference to the thread a member called Race made once on how he doesn't like the Dueling Dealers show and it's humor. So whenever something "controversial" happens on the show, people (and I myself do this a lot lol) joke how it's gonna be brought up on these forums. The comments are mostly just something akin to something like "Careful CGC can hear you" or "CGC is gonna have a field day with that one", nothing negative

Edited by JC25427N

On 10/1/2022 at 2:50 AM, JC25427N said:

I also want to add in, the "negative" comments are just playful banter, its just a reference to the thread a member called Race made once on how he doesn't like the Dueling Dealers show and it's humor. 

Not sure about that. Bill Cox has displayed negative sentiments about this forum before Race made that post...

The general feeling I get is that Bill doesn't really like it here. I'm sure he described it as 'toxic' once

The limited traffic here reflects the general shift away from message boards like this over the last twenty years. First to Facebook, and then Twitter, and then Instagram, and now TikTok. The multi-level threads of something like Facebook allow more sophisticated management of short posts while being less effective at displaying long articles with multiple images and text formatting.

On 10/2/2022 at 7:38 PM, RBerman said:

The limited traffic here reflects the general shift away from message boards like this over the last twenty years. First to Facebook, and then Twitter, and then Instagram, and now TikTok. The multi-level threads of something like Facebook allow more sophisticated management of short posts while being less effective at displaying long articles with multiple images and text formatting.

They are also less effective at saying anything having much value, besides general conversation; like that classic Pepsi slogan “Uhh-huh”. 

On 10/2/2022 at 7:38 PM, RBerman said:

The multi-level threads of something like Facebook allow more sophisticated management of short posts while being less effective at…

People are more shallow than ever? Yes.

I prefer the forum format too - Facebook is way too clunky to follow a post and engage on it properly.  Over here I can pick and choose the topics that I'm interested in and get emails automatically on a new post.  Comments on a Facebook post I want to follow seem to get lost, and then you have threads off of a comment which I don't see...it's a mess.  

Agree Simon and that is the key difference that I prefer about forums. There tends to be more depth in conversation as it is easier to follow and find. Social media gets a lot of attention up front and ignites a quick flurry of activity, but it tends to flame out quickly and once buried past the first page or two, goes by the wayside. 

I’d imagine a lot of it is about collectors engaging where the art and artists are. Facebook forums have a lot of direct artist interaction - helpful for networking and art opportunities. I’ve gotten a lot of heads ups from there that've lead to some good purchases. I like this board and check in daily, but… there’s very little art posted for sale that’s not posted elsewhere and very little artist interaction - can’t think of any regulars other than stinkininkin. I’ve gotten good info and backstories here, but probably even better hot goss striking up FB messenger convos. When there’s so many options for art dialogue, you gotta prioritize… 

Edited by cloud cloddie

On 9/30/2022 at 11:56 PM, New School Fool said:

Not sure about that. Bill Cox has displayed negative sentiments about this forum before Race made that post...

The general feeling I get is that Bill doesn't really like it here. I'm sure he described it as 'toxic' once

I was on DD last night for the first time, kind of a fun concept, seems like pretty good engagement from people (at least for a Monday). I was going to ask if there was anyone from the CGC boards in the chat (since my YouTube name is different than my board name), I guess I'm glad I kept that to myself.

If Bill thinks this place is toxic, he must be quite fortunate having gone his whole life without ever going to a place on the internet called "reddit".