• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If this is the only OA forum, why isn't everyone here?
4 4

85 posts in this topic

On 10/11/2022 at 9:22 AM, Bill Cox said:

The collection of that data was added because Collectors asked us to add it. Collectors were tired of sharing all their art on CAF, then having to store private information about the same art in a spreadsheet at home. I have no access to seeing what's entered there. Only the owner of the art can see that, and download it to import into a local program of their choice. But thanks for making it into some form of conspiracy. 

Folks it's very simple to protect your data, not supplying something is as easy as it gets. 

Edited by MAR1979

On 10/10/2022 at 8:42 PM, malvin said:

What exactly is CAF's pricing data collection?

Malvin

I have found the feature helpful to create a spreadsheet for insuring my collection. Some collectors feel better playing closer to their chest with either the contents and/or value of their collection.

Edited by RBerman

On 10/12/2022 at 11:03 AM, MAR1979 said:

I shudder to think how bad the OA/OCA scene would instantly become if CAF shutdown. It's only 1 of 2 entities to which I contribute to be above a free member.

I'm really down on sharing stuff online anymore (an evolving philosophy for me over the past few years) - I've often wondered if part of the draw to CAF is to show that a certain published piece (no matter how insignificant) is still around, intact and in someone's possession, or if it's mostly just to showcase/catalog collections. Perhaps a bit of both?

On 10/14/2022 at 9:24 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I'm really down on sharing stuff online anymore (an evolving philosophy for me over the past few years) - I've often wondered if part of the draw to CAF is to show that a certain published piece (no matter how insignificant) is still around, intact and in someone's possession, or if it's mostly just to showcase/catalog collections. Perhaps a bit of both?

I enjoy viewing art even if i do not own it and post mine for others.  I do bet for some its an ego thing still even if so others do have the opportunity to view it which is nice.

Edited by MAR1979

On 10/14/2022 at 9:20 PM, MAR1979 said:

I do bet for some its an ego thing but still others do have the opportunity to view it which is nice.

My main motive for my CAF gallery is shameless self-promotion of the things I'm looking for.  Trying to be entertaining and organized in my postings is my honey to draw in views.

Yes, I went there.  Just keepin' it real.

(But... has that arguably-slightly-obnoxious strategy actually, y'know.... helped?  Jury is still out on that one.)

Edited by thethedew

For me posting on CAF does a few things one I like the community aspect of “wow nice pick up” and have interacted with some really cool people. But the selfish reason I like to post is so that people see what art I collect and if they have something in that realm a lot of times they will reach out… beats fighting in an auction and allows for trades to potentially happen… the digital art cons have been awesome found a few pages and list some pages I want to let go to upgrade … final thing I like it because it allows you to see who you are buying/selling  from/to and how active they are in posting makes it a little easier to vet a seller/buyer like if I am buying a middle of the road page from a seller but the person has a 50k page I doubt he will screw me on my lessor page I am buying or letting go to upgrade

On the original question: I rarely post, don't have a CAF and I am out of the hobby because I find the community toxic. See the thread on grown men complaining about "censorship of art" because a company decided to retire a card from a card game. There is valuable information in these threads and I respect a few posters, but not enough to make me want to be a part of the community.

For whatever it is worth, I stopped collecting after taking a deep dive in these forums (and getting burned on a couple of deals with high-profile collectors, but more the former than the latter).

Edited by bernoulli

On 10/14/2022 at 10:08 PM, Xatari said:

Another reason I tend to be more public with my art is to hopefully reduce counterfeits.  If a big piece from my collection is know to be in my collection, there is less a likelihood a counterfeit will show up for sale on the open market or if one does, it is more likely to be called out quickly as a fake.  These are pretty big positives for me.  

Great point Xatari.  Perhaps, CAF galleries also serve as a theft deterrent-- especially for high profile pieces-- as the OA community (collectors, dealers, auction houses) would more easily flag stolen artwork compared to say non-pedigree comics, sports cars and jewelry.  I figure a handful of emails and posting alerts in CAF, FB and the CGC boards would reach a significant part of hobby participants.

On 10/16/2022 at 1:00 AM, bernoulli said:

On the original question: I rarely post, don't have a CAF and I am out of the hobby because I find the community toxic. See the thread on grown men complaining about "censorship of art" because a company decided to retire a card from a card game. There is valuable information in these threads and I respect a few posters, but not enough to make me want to be a part of the community.

For whatever it is worth, I stopped collecting after taking a deep dive in these forums (and getting burned on a couple of deals with high-profile collectors, but more the former than the latter).

I also post less on caf now due to how toxic the hobby has become. Some new collectors seem to have a sense of entitlement due to their spending power or having purchased the latest hot book/artist. I enjoy the art for what it is. But if a community is causing you to question why you’re collecting, it’s better to step away from it.

Best reason to post to CAF is to possibly attract interest from sellers of similar art. I collect niche stuff so in theory this works (in practice, not so much).

Worst reason to post to CAF is trade. I don't post my best stuff online because it muddies any potential trade by drawing all the focus to the top end stuff.