• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FS Frank Miller Spidey 1 and Daredevil 1 cover OA
3 3

39 posts in this topic

On 10/2/2022 at 8:01 PM, s-man said:

Wonder what suck...I mean art lover is interested. 

Why post a comment like this? I mean, if you don’t like the art, then give a reason. If you don’t like Glen, that’s up to you, too, but why try to insult whoever is buying the art? That’s just not good at all. I personally like the covers and would buy the DD if I had the cash. I think the Spider-Man, with all its detail, is the best of the three. So, what do you have to say about that?

On 10/2/2022 at 8:13 PM, Michael Browning said:

Why post a comment like this? I mean, if you don’t like the art, then give a reason. If you don’t like Glen, that’s up to you, too, but why try to insult whoever is buying the art? That’s just not good at all. I personally like the covers and would buy the DD if I had the cash. I think the Spider-Man, with all its detail, is the best of the three. So, what do you have to say about that?

:sorry: I did correct to art lover, to each his own I guess.

It is impossible to look at this as you describe "objectively" IMHO. Frank's style is so strong that the only way you don't recognize his immediate style is if you don't know anything about this hobby. I know I can't look at it and think of it not being a Frank Miller cover(s) - my .02. I like the Spidey and DD much more than the Thing cover. You won't see any of them posted in my CAF because I don't have Frank high on my want list. Congrats to whoever pulled down the Spidey. 

On 10/2/2022 at 12:16 AM, KirbyCollector said:

If you did not know these were done by Miller, what would your objective opinion be? 

The artist was giving his editor a big FU that day.   This isn't remotely even close to the average Miller standard.   

Does anyone have the published versions of these?

I just saw a video of Frank Miller. In the mind’s eye and away from everything, it’s easy to keep the image of a middle-aged guy stuck in your head, despite 30 years going by.

Whatever I said, I take it back. Props to FM for still drawing, having the eyesight and ability to draw - I can only hope I still have that when I am that age - and that anyone would care enough about my skills to rake me over the coals about it. lol

On 10/15/2022 at 12:59 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I just saw a video of Frank Miller. In the mind’s eye and away from everything, it’s easy to keep the image of a middle-aged guy stuck in your head, despite 30 years going by.

Whatever I said, I take it back. Props to FM for still drawing, having the eyesight and ability to draw - I can only hope I still have that when I am that age - and that anyone would care enough about my skills to rake me over the coals about it. lol

Exactly 

On 10/15/2022 at 12:59 PM, Dr. Balls said:

You make Miller out to be Methuselah, but in reality he’s 65 years old.  There are numerous contemporaries who’s drawing skills haven’t declined anywhere near the extent to which Miller’s has.

And I’ll also say that for most folks, 35 is not middle-aged.

On 10/16/2022 at 10:43 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

You make Miller out to be Methuselah, but in reality he’s 65 years old.  There are numerous contemporaries who’s drawing skills haven’t declined anywhere near the extent to which Miller’s has.

And I’ll also say that for most folks, 35 is not middle-aged.

Do people think miller's decline is due to a reduction in his physical abilities/ function die to age, or could it be a stylistic change given how his style has changed/ evolved/ devolved over the years?

Ditto that question for John Byrne 

On 10/17/2022 at 4:58 AM, drdonaldblake1 said:

Do people think miller's decline is due to a reduction in his physical abilities/ function die to age, or could it be a stylistic change given how his style has changed/ evolved/ devolved over the years?

Ditto that question for John Byrne 

It is not unusual for an artist (of any type) to develop in their late years a style not always appreciated by those who admire their early work. IMO it has something to do them coming to an understanding about what is important to them and an unwillingness to spend time on what they now consider of less importance. I wouldn't pay 50K for those covers, but they still scream Frank Miller.

On 10/17/2022 at 8:32 AM, hmendryk said:

It is not unusual for an artist (of any type) to develop in their late years a style not always appreciated by those who admire their early work. IMO it has something to do them coming to an understanding about what is important to them and an unwillingness to spend time on what they now consider of less importance. I wouldn't pay 50K for those covers, but they still scream Frank Miller.

Carmine Infantino's art style changed when he returned to comics after being in management at DC. Carmine told me he thought his style was better when he came back and I agree with that. But, you could definitely see a change from the sleek linework to the more angular art he did in the early- to mid-1980s. For many, that wasn't the Infantino that they knew and loved during their youth, but, for me, it was brilliant art. Carmine did tell me that every page he drew after he returned to comics was purely for the money and not for any love of comics that he might have had BEFORE he became management.