• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

the YOU TUBE comic book videos thread
8 8

267 posts in this topic

On 5/16/2024 at 9:06 AM, sagii said:

(Although I do believe there are some true legitimately rare books from the goldenage).

How many is "rare"?  As far as newsstand comics are concerned, I suspect that there are very few rarities with under 15 copies extent. 

For example, Suspense 3 was touted as one of the great rarities, but, with prices increases incentivizing an intensive search, CGC shows 43 have been slabbed.  More still probably exist out in the wild or in CBCS slabs.

If we expand consideration to ashcans, promo's, specialty items, then you will find more rarities.

On 5/16/2024 at 12:02 AM, sagii said:

There are examples of company file copies that were saved in quantity (Dell, Harvey, EC, etc) and warehouse finds of individual issues (Major Inapak, Thing 17, etc.) that can be used to prove even GA in high grade is "common".

However, there are thousands of scarce GA comics, especially if you are focused on high grade.

On 5/16/2024 at 9:06 AM, sagii said:

So do I. Should be a great video.

(Although I do believe there are some true legitimately rare books from the goldenage).

Some books are tough more than rare because collectors have them locked away making it seem so.I would love to see an annaeloveishere interview has some same love for certain books as i do.

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2024 at 12:29 PM, adamstrange said:

How many is "rare"?  As far as newsstand comics are concerned, I suspect that there are very few rarities with under 15 copies extent. 

For example, Suspense 3 was touted as one of the great rarities, but, with prices increases incentivizing an intensive search, CGC shows 43 have been slabbed.  More still probably exist out in the wild or in CBCS slabs.

If we expand consideration to ashcans, promo's, specialty items, then you will find more rarities.

On 5/16/2024 at 12:50 PM, comicjack said:

Some books are tough more than rare because collectors have them locked away making it seem so.I would love to see an annaeloveishere interview has some same love for certain books as i do.

Agree with you gentlemen on both these points. 

Sometimes it may just be a case of locked away books (In quantities even by one collector).

But there are books that come along frequently (usually big ticket).

There's even a few 'cheapies' that pop up often.

Then there are books I actually only see in cycles: Case in point Detective Picture Stories 5 (a book on my radar for the last 7 years) that doesn't come up all the time. Yet miraculously 3 copies changed hands in the last four months from 3 different auction houses. Maybe longtime holders coincidentally cashing out? I'd still deem this one scarce/rare.

Edited by sagii

On 5/16/2024 at 4:39 PM, sagii said:

Case in point Detective Picture Funnies 5 (a book on my radar for the last 7 years) that doesn't come up all the time. Yet miraculously 3 copies changed hands in the last four months from 3 different auction houses. Maybe longtime holders coincidentally cashing out?

Once is happenstance. 

Twice is coincidence. 

Three times is the action of The Cabal.

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2024 at 4:39 PM, sagii said:

Sometimes it may just be a case of locked away books (In quantities even by one collector).

Jon Berk purchased almost all of the Church copies of Lou Fine books back in the early 90s.  He let go of the Quality runs to buy art, but the Fox runs remained in his collection until the auction in 2017.  If you were a high grade collector, there were very few other copies even known to exist, and even fewer opportunities to purchase them.

Edited by adamstrange

On 5/16/2024 at 4:43 PM, adamstrange said:

Once is happenstance. 

Twice is coincidence. 

(:

On 5/16/2024 at 4:43 PM, adamstrange said:

Once is happenstance. 

Twice is coincidence. 

One was actually a Jon Berk copy offered by CC

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2024 at 8:06 AM, sagii said:

So do I. Should be a great video.

No doubt.  Swag is part entertainment, part dead-serious, and usually sarcastic.  So when he says "gosh, there are no rares?!", trust me, I think he knows.  He's just as sarcastic when he says Darkhawk #1 is going to the moon (I hope). :D  I think this is just his way of saying whatever you have, you may have something rare until it may not be whether unslabbed copies or "warehouse finds" come out of the woodwork or something.  ASM #129 and that screenshot is an example.  When I saw the screenshot posted on Reddit, I actually laughed out loud.

Edited by Telegan

Posted (edited)

To me scarce is under 20 to 25 Blue to 30 in all grades on the census.  But there are variables such as popularity. A more popular book will surely have a higher percentage of existing copies graded. Obviously we all know this. 

Example: Suspense 3 - 26 Blue, 17 Purple/Green/Silver. Very popular book. Could be as many as 50% of existing copies are slabbed by now. 

Example: Crime Must Pay the Penalty 30 (as seen in my profile pic). 4 Blue, no others. But there are probably scores of existing copies out there ungraded..... So if anyone has one for sale contact me right away :roflmao: . 

Then there is the variable of the series. Batman, Superman being probably the most extreme examples. Many were printed and many saved to collections early on. So even though they are popular there are surely multiple amounts of all copies still ungraded depending on the popularity of the issue. More popular , higher percentage graded. Again I know we all know this already. 

Then there is sales. Maybe that is the true way to measure scarcity. If a book only becomes available around once or twice a year or even less frequently I would call that scarce no matter how many may or may not exist. 

Edited by Professor K
words added

On 5/26/2024 at 3:24 PM, Professor K said:

To me scarce is under 20 to 25 Blue to 30 in all grades on the census.  But there are variables such as popularity. A more popular book will surely have a higher percentage of existing copies graded. Obviously we all know this. 

Example: Suspense 3 - 26 Blue, 17 Purple/Green/Silver. Very popular book. Could be as many as 50% of existing copies are slabbed by now. 

Example: Crime Must Pay the Penalty 30 (as seen in my profile pic). 4 Blue, no others. But there are probably scores of existing copies out there ungraded..... So if anyone has one for sale contact me right away :roflmao: . No seriously, do it. 

Then there is the variable of the series. Batman, Superman being probably the most extreme examples. Many were printed and many saved to collections early on. So even though they are popular there are surely multiple amounts of all copies still ungraded depending on the popularity of the issue. More popular , higher percentage graded. Again I know we all know this already. 

Then there is sales. Maybe that is the true way to measure scarcity. If a book only becomes available around once or twice a year or even less frequently I would call that scarce no matter how many may or may not exist. 

There is some books with that are rare with less than 10 copies; the census doesn't give you the real picture.The dealers always push the census when trying to sell a book one must do his homework first. (thumbsu

On 5/28/2024 at 6:57 PM, Telegan said:

Great follow up (rebuttal).

We knew some of the golden age stuff needed to be clarified. I know @Ricksneatstuff since working at Heritage has stated (and i'm paraphrasing) that it can appear like most of the population of GA collectors are or have been a part of the CGC Boards community at some time, but there is a huge number of them that are private and don't share what they are holding. 

With that in mind, I can still say for the better part of the last 12 years with 2nd and 3rd tier publishers 'exploding' , there are quite a few books I have only seen a handful of times (and on some they are one to two copies of said book that keep changing hands in a cyclical manner. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/28/2024 at 3:57 PM, Telegan said:

the one issue I have is, sometimes books get regraded and double listed so take the census with that grain of salt SLAG

Edited by Mmehdy

On 5/29/2024 at 12:29 AM, Mmehdy said:

...take the census with that grain of sale

:lightning:

Posted (edited)

Something different here, as in a you tube comic book "advisor" with a sense of humor. He openly admits to making some of the 5 mistakes made when buying comic books that he comments on, but buying 3 low grade copies of Sensation #6 when he's targeting at least 4.0 for Golden Age books. doh!

Edited by frozentundraguy

On 6/2/2024 at 4:23 PM, frozentundraguy said:

Something different here, as in a you tube comic book "advisor" with a sense of humor. He openly admits to making some of the 5 mistakes made when buying comic books that he comments on, but buying 3 low grade copies of Sensation #6 when he's targeting at least 4.0 for Golden Age books. doh!

The poor guy sounds like he's about one auction purchase away from hitting the bottle.