• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FOUND: This Red Sonja painting by Gonzalo Mayo - Back home after 8 YEARS!

7 posts in this topic

I used to have a thread I would bump regarding this piece of artwork - but I think it's been deleted after CGC changed over to their new message boards. Any who - I sold this piece in 2014 via ComicLink along with my other OA to fund my restaurant. People can probably relate with the fact that I was bummed to let it go, and was able to contact Jason Crosby at ComicLink - who graciously made offers to buy it back from the owner on my behalf every year for the past 6 years. But for the past two, I have not heard back from Jason, which is ok, as I'm sure he probably got tired of me asking or offering to the seller.

I'm sure the owner does not want to sell and probably admires this piece as much as I do, but I have this thread in place just in case he does and it ends up on auction somewhere, and someone notices it. Hilariously enough, I still have the empty frame I had this in - waiting in storage for what will hopefully be it's return someday. lol

There are some similar work studies out there of this painting, but the one I am looking for is the full-sized final piece (which measures something around 28"x32" with some edge wear that can be seen in the pic below). I spoke with Gonzalo years ago about this piece - it was a commission piece he did in the early 2000s (it's not a vintage piece, as it may look). I was actually trying to get this produced as a variant cover from Dynamite - with Gonzalo's permission, which never came to fruition with the company

If anyone knows anything about the painting, etc - just drop me a PM. There is a finder's fee for brokering a sale. I'll always be interested in getting this piece back, so there is no expiration date to my offer to buy back. Thanks for keeping an eye out, Boardies!

UPDATE: Jason Crosby replied to my yearly email this week (10/4/22) and informed me that after six years of offering the owner has ACCEPTED my offer! The painting has been paid for and with a little luck, will be back on my wall in a few weeks. I'll make a (hopefully) final update and close the thread when that happens!

gonzalo_mayo_redsonja_edges.JPG

Edited by Dr. Balls