• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

October 2022 what copper Age covers are possibly fetching $1 million at auction?
2 2

62 posts in this topic

On 10/7/2022 at 1:33 PM, Logan510 said:

He did keep the vast majority. There was a time several years ago that he brought them to John Byrne's house so JB could sign them, I remember pictures being posted on Byrne's forum of the visit. I thought it was in preperation to sell them but I guess that wasn't the case. I was told by someone who knows him personally that he was saving them for his "retirement". but he's 70 and the market is pretty hot. He must be well off if he couldn't use a 7 figure payoff.

Define “vast majority”.

On 10/7/2022 at 2:02 PM, artdealer said:

Define “vast majority”.

How am I supposed to define that? I heard this from someone who is friends with him and has known him for decades.

How about "a lot" (shrug)

On 10/7/2022 at 3:05 PM, Logan510 said:

How am I supposed to define that? I heard this from someone who is friends with him and has known him for decades.

How about "a lot" (shrug)

Well, you could say 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, 7/8, 

400 pages, 275 pages, 350 pages. 
Not a difficult question. 

And regardless who you heard it from, despite knowing Terry for “decades”, the number is probably incorrect. 

On 10/7/2022 at 2:13 PM, artdealer said:

Well, you could say 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, 7/8, 

400 pages, 275 pages, 350 pages. 
Not a difficult question. 

And regardless who you heard it from, despite knowing Terry for “decades”, the number is probably incorrect. 

That's fair.

It was a difficult question because all I was told was "most of it", I didn't pester the guy for exact details or specific numbers.

Don't know why you put decades in quotes, it's a fellow artist who has known him for decades. (shrug)

On 10/7/2022 at 5:23 PM, drdonaldblake1 said:

Did Byrne give the pages to Austin?

Who gets ownership of the pages, artist or inker or do they come to a mutual agreement ?

The general rule for sometime has been 2/3 to the penciler and 1/3rd for the inker from DC and Marvel. 

Edited by alxjhnsn

On 10/7/2022 at 3:49 PM, alxjhnsn said:

The general rule for sometime has been 2/3 to the penciler and 1/3rd for the inker from DC and Marvel. 

In the last five years, how common is it for the penciler and inker to work on the same physical paper? Putting aside art done digitally, it is now common for the penciler and inker each to keep 100% of their own pages.

Edited by RBerman

On 10/7/2022 at 6:54 PM, RBerman said:

In the last five years, how common is it for the penciler and inker to work on the same physical paper? Putting aside art done digitally, it is now common for the penciler and inker each to keep 100% of their own pages.

As I understand it, the penciler keeps his/her pages and the inker his/hers assuming that there transfer between them is electronic. 

Of course, other agreements exist, but that seems most common. 

On 10/7/2022 at 7:06 PM, alxjhnsn said:

As I understand it, the penciler keeps his/her pages and the inker his/hers assuming that there transfer between them is electronic. 

Of course, other agreements exist, but that seems most common. 

Right. I was wondering how often recent art is still done 80s (and prior) style, with the pencils and inks on the same paper by different artists.

Edited by RBerman

So it sounds like Terry still has a lot of his own art. We’re now in the semantics game of what does “a lot” mean. 

Mitch, in your estimation did Terry keep at least 40% of the art he got back from X-men? I only ask because you seem to be willing to speak about the maximum quantity of pages he still has (albeit somewhat vaguely). A similar statement about the minimum number of pages he has would be helpful. 

Byrne told me once that Terry was smart to hold on to his share of the X-Men pages, and jokingly declared himself an insufficiently_thoughtful_person for selling his years ago (Judging by the endless reprints of JB's work AND his incredible art collection, I doubt we'll need a telethon for him anytime soon).

I don't know exactly what art Terry still has, but I do know for a fact he still has one Uncanny X-Men cover (issue #123). He was kind enough to provide a scan that we printed in my book on the comic book history of Wolverine.