• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Insuring shipped books

9 posts in this topic

I posted this in another thread but thought I'd make a separate topic for it:

When shipping books do you insure for the full FMV of the books? I may be paranoid, but the idea of insuring a package for thousands of dollars makes me feel like I've just put a big red target on my package for any less-than-honest employee to swipe or "lose". It also doesn't help that I may also add the name of an auction house in the address.

I just dropped some books off at UPS and got some extra insurance (not FMV), had the name of an auction house in the address, and was asked what was being shipped. Didn't like the feeling of walking away and thinking; "Did I just ask someone in the chain of delivery to steal that?"

I always insure for the value I feel would be acceptable for reimbursement. That being said, you need to be able to prove that value if a claim were ever needed. In my opinion, the risk is much greater if you don't insure properly. If you insure properly and someone targets your package, you should have the peace of mind that you'll be reimbursed for the amount you felt appropriate. 

On 10/3/2022 at 6:22 AM, PMminer said:

I posted this in another thread but thought I'd make a separate topic for it:

When shipping books do you insure for the full FMV of the books? I may be paranoid, but the idea of insuring a package for thousands of dollars makes me feel like I've just put a big red target on my package for any less-than-honest employee to swipe or "lose". It also doesn't help that I may also add the name of an auction house in the address.

I just dropped some books off at UPS and got some extra insurance (not FMV), had the name of an auction house in the address, and was asked what was being shipped. Didn't like the feeling of walking away and thinking; "Did I just ask someone in the chain of delivery to steal that?"

usps is dicey and their claims process is a nightmare. fedex ground is now virtually the same price as priority mail and far more secure. their claims go quickly for the most part in my experience. however they have limits on the insurance that they offer. if you have a policy through CIS that covers all your shipments to and from. 

On 10/3/2022 at 10:04 AM, alexgross.com said:

usps is dicey and their claims process is a nightmare. fedex ground is now virtually the same price as priority mail and far more secure. their claims go quickly for the most part in my experience. however they have limits on the insurance that they offer. if you have a policy through CIS that covers all your shipments to and from. 

I had to file a claim with CIS recently. Was super easy and straightforward. Got a check in the mail for the full value within 2 weeks. 

On 12/20/2022 at 8:45 PM, lizards2 said:

I don't insure, because they likely will never pay on claims.

who is "they?" i've received numerous checks from dhl and fedex on my claims of damaged packages. usps was tougher but i have also been paid. 

this is all reimbursement on items that i was either paid for and have receipts for, or that i paid for, and have receipts for. 

On 12/20/2022 at 7:37 PM, Silver_Couch_Surfer said:

I had to file a claim with CIS recently. Was super easy and straightforward. Got a check in the mail for the full value within 2 weeks. 

this is great news. many of us with policies have often wondered how the claims process works with them. sorry for your loss but glad to hear you were made whole, so to speak. 

On 12/21/2022 at 6:35 AM, alexgross.com said:

who is "they?" i've received numerous checks from dhl and fedex on my claims of damaged packages. usps was tougher but i have also been paid. 

this is all reimbursement on items that i was either paid for and have receipts for, or that i paid for, and have receipts for. 

The Ominous Agents of Them.

On 12/21/2022 at 8:35 AM, alexgross.com said:

this is great news. many of us with policies have often wondered how the claims process works with them. sorry for your loss but glad to hear you were made whole, so to speak. 

They were extremely quick in responding after submitting claim via their online form. Only problem was, initial email went to spam. Took a week to realize. :whatthe: