• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signing over signature

3 posts in this topic

Quick question for everyone as I am new to the grading side of books.

I have a spawn 1 I got signed back in the day at my local con, can I submit this book for the upcoming Todd signing and request him sign over his previous signature done on the book to get a yellow label? If not what would be some suggestions for this beautiful book I own.

On 10/3/2022 at 11:37 AM, Yaku said:

I have a spawn 1 I got signed back in the day at my local con, can I submit this book for the upcoming Todd signing and request him sign over his previous signature done on the book to get a yellow label? If not what would be some suggestions for this beautiful book I own.

You can send it for the signing and get yellow/green label, as in, if you send in for the signing that sig will be witnessed, but the older one will still be there.

McFarlane won't "sign over the old" to just have yellow label, but if you send it, it'll have two sigs, one yellow and witnessed and one green and qualified. No harm no foul. Easy enough to do, to have you're signed book with a story with it and have it slabbed.

On 10/3/2022 at 9:37 AM, Yaku said:

alternate suggestions would be to see if other comic grading companies exist that will verify existing signatures.  I suspect that if you use either 'google' or 'ebay' you will find some relevant search results. See if their processes and pricing and potentially realizable values are more in line with your personal subjective priorities.  

or to leave the comic as is.  or frame it and put it on above your fireplace.

Or to get it graded by CGC, you could get a qualified green label where they ignore the signature, or get a blue label where they count the signature as a defect against the grade.  

It really depends on what your personal collection and/or financial preferences are.

NOte that the potential grade of your comic might have play a HUGE factor on the relevant financial aspects of your question, if that matters to you (it may not).

good luck