• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New York Comicon
1 1

46 posts in this topic

Since I expect some people here to go, I hope they will post things of interest to the members. Sadly, I can’t attend this year, but I would still like to see what goes on. Except the merchandising; last year, it seemed like most of the main exhibit hall was dedicated to selling expensive tchotchkes. 

Edited by Rick2you2

I didn’t want to put this in the main topic heading, but if anyone spots Phantom Stranger art (or art with the Phantom Stranger in it)—except for art offered by the big name dealers—please PM me or post it? I’m only excluding the big name dealers’ art because they have presumably posted it on-line already, and I don’t want to waste anyone’s time.

On 10/7/2022 at 2:02 PM, BCarter27 said:

...versus what was already at Comic Art Con, not much!

As you know, most artists are either holding for Heritage, cleaned out, or don't bring art to shows -- only selling through their rep or their social.

But I managed to snap a few random pics around the show-

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/XmaDJNn8gVF0B7yqyZ6Pp261LlceK4MAnsjpL5c8vTc

appreciate this! Thanks!

Malvin

If you are looking for new art from dealers at NYCC, go to Bechara. He had 5 portfolios of new art at the NJ Con which were not (and are still not) posted on his site. 

Btw for anyone who loves Toth Superfriends art, Anthony had at least half a dozen of Toth's minor hero (i.e., not Supes or Bats) and villain character sheets at the NJ show. None of them have been posted on his site, to the best of my knowledge.

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 10/7/2022 at 5:02 PM, BCarter27 said:

...versus what was already at Comic Art Con, not much!

As you know, most artists are either holding for Heritage, cleaned out, or don't bring art to shows -- only selling through their rep or their social.

But I managed to snap a few random pics around the show-

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/XmaDJNn8gVF0B7yqyZ6Pp261LlceK4MAnsjpL5c8vTc

I'm a big fan of Aaron Campbell's work, but from the couple of pages with prices you are showing, it looks like he has upwardly revalued them. 

Comic art and comics in general are vastly over valued at this point in time. There is no solid rationale for most of them being priced at where they are currently at. Since the 1960s I have been a proponent of comic collectibles being very much under valued, so never thought I would say this. The prices for most of the material are not justifiable and are not sustainable, nor healthy for the hobby. 

On 10/8/2022 at 12:27 PM, Humpty-Dumpty said:

Comic art and comics in general are vastly over valued at this point in time. There is no solid rationale for most of them being priced at where they are currently at. Since the 1960s I have been a proponent of comic collectibles being very much under valued, so never thought I would say this. The prices for most of the material are not justifiable and are not sustainable, nor healthy for the hobby. 

Based on what?  Compared to what?

On 10/8/2022 at 12:27 PM, Humpty-Dumpty said:

So are diamonds. Can’t eat ‘em, can’t drink ‘em, and while they can get you l$#d, they’re a pretty expensive way to get there.

On 10/8/2022 at 9:27 AM, Humpty-Dumpty said:

The rationale is this: People are buying available art at these prices. I do not believe the general price increases are primarily due to some cartel fake-selling pieces amongst themselves to inflate the value of their holdings. 

Now, will there be another 10x price inflation? Not on the whole; the market is too mature for that. But is it going to see a tenfold collapse? Not in a timeframe that matters to us, unless as part of some global economic meltdown that moots all discussions.

On 10/8/2022 at 7:35 PM, AnkurJ said:

This was available for 300k

I saw many pieces that were in auctions the last year on dealer tables/walls at 50-100% over the last sale. This seems to be the norm.

My favorite pieces were bought from artists.

F5259A69-AB04-4716-AE4A-740DB81D1A55.jpeg

Where’s Jerome Powell when you really need him?