• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New York Comicon
1 1

46 posts in this topic

On 10/8/2022 at 7:35 PM, AnkurJ said:

This was available for 300k

I saw many pieces that were in auctions the last year on dealer tables/walls at 50-100% over the last sale. This seems to be the norm.

My favorite pieces were bought from artists.

F5259A69-AB04-4716-AE4A-740DB81D1A55.jpeg

$300,000 for a crappy 90s Pose-A-Thon page -- including a Wolverine whose right bicep is a) attached to his forearm and b) oddly hairless compared to the rest of the arm (maybe Wolvie was hit by an open can of Nair? Scott Lobdell ran out of ink?). This would be funny if it wasn't so sad

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 10/8/2022 at 2:12 PM, RBerman said:

The rationale is this: People are buying available art at these prices. I do not believe the general price increases are primarily due to some cartel fake-selling pieces amongst themselves to inflate the value of their holdings. 

Now, will there be another 10x price inflation? Not on the whole; the market is too mature for that. But is it going to see a tenfold collapse? Not in a timeframe that matters to us, unless as part of some global economic meltdown that moots all discussions.

That sucks. I just typed a reply that took me about 25 minutes to write, and it did not post. Oh well I don't have the inclination now to do it again.

Suffice to say that the people are buying available art is a lubricous argument. How many times has that happened with stocks, and other assets and people have lost their shirts? I'll also sum up my three paragraph lost reply and say that we have never experienced QE like this before and it was a factor in many having disposable income like not in the past, That boat has sailed, When the economy does crash, a lot of people are going to need to sell assets to survive. Lastly, the point is not moot, not even if we experience a world wide meltdown. Because eventually, even in that scenario, there must be a reset of values, and OA relative of that value reset will most likely see a steep decrease.

On 10/9/2022 at 2:33 PM, Humpty-Dumpty said:

Funny, but not a viable comp.

Actually, it’s a riff on something Adam Smith wrote in “Wealth of Nations”. If value bore a relationship to prices, the most expensive thing in the world would be air. Without air, we can’t breath. But, there is a lot of air, a virtually unlimited supply, so prices are low. Same with comic art. It has little intrinsic value, unless you are in need of fire starting materials, but prices are high because people want it. If people want to spend that kind of money, so be it. 

On 10/9/2022 at 3:33 PM, Humpty-Dumpty said:

That sucks. I just typed a reply that took me about 25 minutes to write, and it did not post. Oh well I don't have the inclination now to do it again.

Suffice to say that the people are buying available art is a lubricous argument. How many times has that happened with stocks, and other assets and people have lost their shirts? I'll also sum up my three paragraph lost reply and say that we have never experienced QE like this before and it was a factor in many having disposable income like not in the past, That boat has sailed, When the economy does crash, a lot of people are going to need to sell assets to survive. Lastly, the point is not moot, not even if we experience a world wide meltdown. Because eventually, even in that scenario, there must be a reset of values, and OA relative of that value reset will most likely see a steep decrease.

Due to one of kind I see that less llikley for 20th century mainstream superhero art.  Now for non key Comic Books i do agree with you.

Do remember vintage superhero OA art was not barely even slowed 2007-2008.  As for run of the mill modern pieces by not in demand artists correction will occur - maybe

Attended on Thursday. Picked up mostly pieces that were arranged or paid for months ago. An interesting observation in artist alley. About 25-30% of artists set up were completely digital. No originals, prints only. I wonder if this will become the new norm in the future. 
Crowds were lighter on Thursday and it was easy to move around artist alley and the show floor. Some good pieces for sale on the floor at high prices as usual. Many collectors I heard murmuring about prices being too high and not being able to afford what they love. The hobby has priced out many sadly.

On 10/15/2022 at 5:56 PM, AnkurJ said:

Attended on Thursday. Picked up mostly pieces that were arranged or paid for months ago. An interesting observation in artist alley. About 25-30% of artists set up were completely digital. No originals, prints only. I wonder if this will become the new norm in the future. 
Crowds were lighter on Thursday and it was easy to move around artist alley and the show floor. Some good pieces for sale on the floor at high prices as usual. Many collectors I heard murmuring about prices being too high and not being able to afford what they love. The hobby has priced out many sadly.

For the kind of art you collect its now a hobby for the wealthy or those lucky enough to have jumped in 1-2 decades ago. Im the latter

Routine panel pages are now pretty much are at cover prices from when i got into the hobby in the late 90s

This will not change in our lifetimes.  Those without large bankrolls looking to get into vintage published superhero OA especially marvel may want to rethink their hobby choice.

BTW Thursday attendence to me appeared to be very close to pre pandemic level. Friday was a full on mob scene. I left early due to the crowding

I never ever do weekends :)

Edited by MAR1979

On 10/15/2022 at 5:56 PM, AnkurJ said:

Many collectors I heard murmuring about prices being too high and not being able to afford what they love. The hobby has priced out many sadly.

A surprising number of collectors have been posting commissions of $2k, $3k or more and as nice as they look I don't understand paying that much for a commission. I was very happy with my $50 Risso headsketch and $100 Denis Kitchen piece in my sketchbook. 

On 10/18/2022 at 3:17 PM, RBerman said:

It's all in what you're looking for. A quick sketch, like a signature or a selfie, is basically evidence that you shared space with the artist. It's rarely going to be an objectively beautiful piece of art, compared to something the artist put time into as he would for a published cover. Most artists do this implicitly, pricing their "done at the convention" work much lower than their "spent a while in the studio" work. I appreciated Jon Bogdanove for explicitly including two price scales on his commission sheet when I saw him a couple of months ago. Some people want to pay more for a piece that's not only by the artist of their choice, but also at a quality level that shows off the artist at his best rather than his quickest. Neither is wrong.

I have bought in the past, at a con, a sketch done by Bob Layton prior to this con. A chance I was first in line in front of the portfolio, because a lady who was behind me, seeing the sketch I was buying, asked B.L. for the same sketch. I saw it later, on the B.L. twitter feed, and I was happy to have bought mine, because the quality level of hers was not the same, as professional as B.L. is (and quick he is) on a con.

On 10/18/2022 at 9:21 AM, Ecclectica said:

I have bought in the past, at a con, a sketch done by Bob Layton prior to this con. A chance I was first in line in front of the portfolio, because a lady who was behind me, seeing the sketch I was buying, asked B.L. for the same sketch. I saw it later, on the B.L. twitter feed, and I was happy to have bought mine, because the quality level of hers was not the same, as professional as B.L. is (and quick he is) on a con.

Every snowflake is different! Some of Paul Smith's Kitty Prydes look more like Kitty Pryde than others.

On 10/18/2022 at 10:21 AM, Ecclectica said:

A published page is the only guarantee of uniqueness... it is all unfortunately all too common for artists to endlessly generate the same pose or expression if it makes $$$... perhaps if our artists were paid more, or were viewed in a more serious light (e.g., the way they are almost everywhere outside the US), they would be less tempted to do this

On 10/18/2022 at 9:17 AM, RBerman said:

It's all in what you're looking for. A quick sketch, like a signature or a selfie, is basically evidence that you shared space with the artist. It's rarely going to be an objectively beautiful piece of art, compared to something the artist put time into as he would for a published cover. Most artists do this implicitly, pricing their "done at the convention" work much lower than their "spent a while in the studio" work. I appreciated Jon Bogdanove for explicitly including two price scales on his commission sheet when I saw him a couple of months ago. Some people want to pay more for a piece that's not only by the artist of their choice, but also at a quality level that shows off the artist at his best rather than his quickest. Neither is wrong.

The issue is people paying big bucks for convention sketches. Artists should charge what they can for sure but you can only go to the well so many times before it runs dry. 

On 10/18/2022 at 6:08 PM, KirbyCollector said:

A published page is the only guarantee of uniqueness... it is all unfortunately all too common for artists to endlessly generate the same pose or expression if it makes $$$... perhaps if our artists were paid more, or were viewed in a more serious light (e.g., the way they are almost everywhere outside the US), they would be less tempted to do this

Yes, there is the money factor, but I think he sincerely tried to please his fan (lady or not) and it was a 2 day con so...

On 10/18/2022 at 12:11 PM, Ecclectica said:

Yes, there is the money factor, but I think he sincerely tried to please his fan (lady or not) and it was a 2 day con so...

I know many collectors do not mind owning a copy... but if I was the one who bought I thought was a one of a kind original, and then found out the artist gladly copied it for someone else... I would think twice about commissioning that artist ever again